What is up with the dirt trucks??

UPS Lifer

Through all these posts, I have yet to see someone explain or defend the position of why we, as a company, have obviously chosen to ignore one of our long standing pillars of pride- THE CLEANLINESS OF OUR VEHICLES. It's hard for some of us who were beaten over the head for thirty years about the high standards of appearance, such as hair, shoe shine, mustache, clean vehicle,etc., accept this obvious decline. If any of you ever heard of Jim Casey, I know he probably wouldnt approve. Explanation, anyone?

This is very simple... There is no explaining or defending any position. The lack of washing vehicles is a cost cutting measure. Therefore - take the initiative and clean your vehicle when it NEEDS it. It doesn't necessarily have to be done daily.

If the windows are bad; write up the vehicle. I used to get out there and clean the windows myself. Besides being a safety issue, this was a pet peeve of mine.

I highly doubt that any driver will get fired for washing a dirty filty vehicle! So stop whining and go make it happen. :happy2:

ups_vette

As some of you know, I retired in 1995 with 32 years as a UPSer. If memory serves me back in the early 90s many parts of the country were experiencing severe drought conditions.

As a result of those conditions water restrictions were put in place. People were fined for watering their lawns and washing their cars and businesses were fined for excessive use of water.

UPS was forced to reduce the frequency of washing the package cars from daily to "as needed". Unfortunately some managers took the reduced frequency of washing the cars to a new level of not washing the cars till the driver complained, and even then didn't wash the car.

As a proud retiree of UPS it saddens me to see how dirty the package cars have become because i remember the day when a manager would never allow a dirty package to leave the building and be seen in that condition by the public.

rocket man

GO ON lunch gO TO A WASH AND VAC CLEAN YOUR PACKAGE CAR AND STOP COMPLAINING. OR TELL THEM YOU WANT OFF ROUTE GO TO CAR WASH AT NIGHT WASH YOUR CENTERS TRUCKS THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR PET PEEVE/ THERE ARE PLENTY OF DRIVERS WHO ARE LAID OFF WHO WIIL DRIVE A DIRTY TRUCK .WHILE YOU WROTE THIS YOU COULD HAVE WASHED YOUR DIRTY TRUCK.