What? No More Keys

bham brown

Well, here in the South we will officially be keyless soon. Starting this week we will be implementing automatic bulkheads and back doors and push button start via a key fob we will carry around. I am not sure how this will work exactly since the training dvd we were to watch wouldn't work. I do know those of us who drive trucks with swing open doors or elevator doors will still have to have a key to unlock those. I am looking forward to the extra 10 or 20 stops a day I will be getting thanks to this new technology that will surely save me so much time..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
yep...technology that should save a few seconds saves an hour....or more a day. Its all possible in the magical, wonderful world of IE.....Im just wondering when we are going to start seeing management get laid off....less packages should mean less management. Maybe we can have the extra on road sup come in on wednesdays and fridays and let him work the preload for 5 hours and give him part-time sup pay for those hours worked...should save hundreds of millions a year.

OptimusPrime

yep...technology that should save a few seconds saves an hour....or more a day. Its all possible in the magical, wonderful world of IE.....Im just wondering when we are going to start seeing management get laid off....less packages should mean less management. Maybe we can have the extra on road sup come in on wednesdays and fridays and let him work the preload for 5 hours and give him part-time sup pay for those hours worked...should save hundreds of millions a year.

Does UPS get subsidiaries and/or tax breaks for minority "management" positions? Not racist/sexist, but my hub trips over it's own schlong, busting it's ass to promote female/female-minorities to meaningless part time management positions. To the point they really don't have true positions. Mostly walk around the hub and text on their phones. Yet we are notoriously understaffed.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Does UPS get subsidiaries and/or tax breaks for minority "management" positions? Not racist/sexist, but my hub trips over it's own schlong, busting it's ass to promote female/female-minorities to meaningless part time management positions. To the point they really don't have true positions. Mostly walk around the hub and text on their phones. Yet we are notoriously understaffed.

Many of these part-time and full-time mgmt op positions require absolutely no education or experience, so it is not like being "qualified" is important.

upserr1

Well, here in the South we will officially be keyless soon. Starting this week we will be implementing automatic bulkheads and back doors and push button start via a key fob we will carry around. I am not sure how this will work exactly since the training dvd we were to watch wouldn't work. I do know those of us who drive trucks with swing open doors or elevator doors will still have to have a key to unlock those. I am looking forward to the extra 10 or 20 stops a day I will be getting thanks to this new technology that will surely save me so much time..
If keyless works like the dvd than I guess it's just another well thought out plan from some pencil pusher

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was talking to a FedEx Express guy the other day and he really liked the keyless entry/ignition system on his PC. Told me it saves him a lot of time during the day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Obviously I can't speak for the rest you, but I am masterful with my key ring.
As it spins on my finger to and from the package car, I can at will produce the proper key in it's proper orientation engaging the key hole without restriction.
If this new technology truly saves me a second per repetition, over the course of my day I stand to recapture three to four minutes a day.
What bothers me is none of these technological advancements are implemented to shorten an already long and physical day for an aging driver.
Instead its goal is to increase my workload and further drive my body into a broken down condition.
At what point will the more for less mentality stop?
Doesn't there have to be a ceiling?

upserr1

As it spins on my finger to and from the package car, I can at will produce the proper key in it's proper orientation engaging the key hole without restriction.
If this new technology truly saves me a second per repetition, over the course of my day I stand to recapture three to four minutes a day.
What bothers me is none of these technological advancements are implemented to shorten an already long and physical day for an aging driver.
Instead its goal is to increase my workload and further drive my body into a broken down condition.

Ceiling? the sky's the limit with ups They don't give a rats :censored2: about us

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We are scheduled to get keyless entry this summer.

I really hope that there will still be an actual key that can be used as a backup.

My experience with small, high-tech electronic gizmos is that they can be wonderful until they fail. That is why I keep an old-fashioned folded up paper map in the glove box of my wifes car even though she has a Garmin GPS unit.

UPSGUY72

Fed Ex uses a keyless entry system. They have a wristband that the driver wear.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My experience with small, high-tech electronic gizmos is that they can be wonderful until they fail. That is why I keep an old-fashioned folded up paper map in the glove box of my wifes car even though she has a Garmin GPS unit.

I was delivering my area one day when a young couple stopped to ask me for directions to our local mall, which was about two miles from where I was at the moment. As I am giving him directions he asks for the name of the mall, which I gave him. He then proceeds to type that name in to his GPS. I just shook my head and walked away.

Ups drivers are like fine wine and women the get better with age.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Often times I feel like we are just peices of equipment that will be replaced when we wear out. I'm just a number with a dollar sign next to it.

Indeed...this sounds extreme but I sometimes wonder if a driver was in a serious accident if they would be more concerned about the vehicle rather than the driver? Extreme, maybe ...but we all seem to be in extreme times now.

Big Babooba

I have keyless ignition in my car and I love it. It will allow for a smoother start up procedure. I push the button and while the engine is cranking, my seat belt is clicking.

upserr1

Indeed...this sounds extreme but I sometimes wonder if a driver was in a serious accident if they would be more concerned about the vehicle rather than the driver? Extreme, maybe ...but we all seem to be in extreme times now.

I can tell you from past experierence that they care more about their vehicles and equipment.Just weeks before a driver was to retire (good friend) his pkg car caught fire they were more concerned that he retrieved the diad than his personal well being.That says alot for this new management team.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It will be deemed by IE that every driver using keyless ignition/bulkhead will lose 15 to 30 minutes instead of 3-4. Bank on it.