Whats happens if you cross the line and scab during a strike?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Hey scabs
84364919-C748-4EDC-A05B-1880976DA7B7.gif

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My local had chase cars so they could picket as they made deliveries.
We did that but the scabs called 911 and the cops told us to LEAVE. so...........................we'd go out in three or four cars,block in the package cars while it was making a stop and all pile into one car and take off. THAT was funny

Thebrownblob

We did that but the scabs called 911 and the cops told us to LEAVE. so...........................we'd go out in three or four cars,block in the package cars while it was making a stop and all pile into one car and take off. THAT was funny
Yep similar thing happened to me during the overnight strike apparently we didn’t listen well enough and had a little brush up with the Law 😂fug em

rod

Retired 22 years
We were peeing amongst the trees near the entrance. Same thing.
The Fire Dept did us a solid, and washed it all away with their hose.
My old UPS center sits on a corner lot. During both strikes we had the Company put a port-a-pot on the corner. We were told that the city made them do that. It came in handy. One driver and a part time gal even got it on inside that thing one night after a long day of drinking and picketing. :-)

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
My old UPS center sits on a corner lot. During both strikes we had the Company put a port-a-pot on the corner. We were told that the city made them do that. It came in handy. One driver and a part time gal even got it on inside that thing one night after a long day of drinking and picketing. :-)
Pigs

PT Car Washer

We had one quit last year.
She was delivering stuff on the route next to me. She decided she had enough she found the UPS truck gave him all his packages and said I'm done with this.

A boss called me up and asked if I could help I could not quit laughing, he said it's not funny, I said yes it's funny as hell
Happens once or twice a week during Peak when a PVD wants a day off or quits. I end up running the route along with other air drivers. What would Peak be with out 60 hours at top driver rate?

Brownwind

Same here. I heard of the older guys at the time had family members do this. Personally I’m not that ambitious.

It would be horrible if we don’t come to an agreement. Way too much to loose.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I worked then---we were out for 2 weeks.
yes. two weeks and that strike hurt the company and the workers for a couple years. I was on feeder relief and only worked a couple days a week for months. It was quite awhile before I started working steady.

No one wins a strike. not sure why anyone would be gung ho over it. Back in 97 we really didnt have a choice . UPS wanted to take over the pensions and a lot more. I kept the mountains of paperwork that both sides put out before and during the strike.

If the company waited ONE more week they would have won. Many union members were ready to cave ( in my local anyway) because they were not financially prepared for a strike.

PT Car Washer

yes. two weeks and that strike hurt the company and the workers for a couple years. I was on feeder relief and only worked a couple days a week for months. It was quite awhile before I started working steady.

No one wins a strike. not sure why anyone would be gung ho over it. Back in 97 we really didnt have a choice . UPS wanted to take over the pensions and a lot more. I kept the mountains of paperwork that both sides put out before and during the strike.

If the company waited ONE more week they would have won. Many union members were ready to cave ( in my local anyway) because they were not financially prepared for a strike.
I disagree completely. We were more then willing to hold out much longer. At least the PT Union members were. FT also except for a few that crossed. Never heard anything about giving in.

542thruNthru

OP, back in the day, people got killed for crossing the picket line. Don’t do it.
They even got beaten and stabbed in 97.

brett636

Overall bad idea. The scabs from my building are still talked about 25 years after the fact. If you aren't interested in a long term career here be my guest, but you are better off saving up and or getting a temporary job elsewhere if you really need the money. Don't cross the line.

kforte36

There is no counter necessary.

Management can't deliver all the boxes. If they could, we'd already be out of a job.

They can't even manage to deliver a tiny fraction properly. I'm not sure that they could get even the critical health care packages delivered, even if the packages just magically appeared at the centers.
I'm at a center in Illinois and our management can't even staff a Saturday without over 50% of the routes being covered by RPCDs voluntarily coming in to make overtime.

There's no chance the company can operate if there's a strike. We have all the leverage. Hopefully more drivers understand this. How would anything be sorted and loaded for "supposed" pvds without any loaders/sorters/etc. It wouldn't. Even if the company could hypothetically hire a half a million pvds in three days (the union is required to give 72 hour notice if we plan to strike), without the above mentioned part-time employees, nothing would get loaded and sorted and millions of packages would not be picked up. My on road supervisors don't even know how to do 95% of the routes in my center. The higher ups at ups are on crack if they think they can just magicallly continue on without any hiccups if a strike happens. They would be friended.