who got murdered today? On Topic

Star B

White Lightening
Don't let Memphis or management make this your problem. The problem belongs to them for over-selling.
Exactly, this. The ONLY thing FedEx will fix is failure. If a courier delivers everything on the route but does it all the wrong way, they won't fix it because "it got done".

Stop, take your breaks, don't run, don't speed, and bring the freight back if you have to. As long as you're not friend-ing off on your route and you're doing the best you can do, there is NOTHING mgmt can do, no matter how much they will kick and scream.

Oldfart

Stop, take your breaks, don't run, don't speed, and bring the freight back if you have to. As long as you're not friend-ing off on your route and you're doing the best you can do, there is NOTHING mgmt can do, no matter how much they will kick and scream.

This should be everyone's attitude year round. Nothing new here.

El Morado Diablo

Break times were brought up at my location this week. When an employee brought up taking breaks before the 5th hour would result in lates (rather than taking breaks later in the day to avoid them) our Sr Mgr threatened to hire more PT'ers. The route in question was a PM area route that wasn't done any favors when they added FO service earlier this year. I think the courier in question is going to call the Sr Mgr's bluff by taking his break when he should and let management deal with the service failures.

McFeely

Huge Member
I don't think I've ever taken my 30 min break in the first 5 hours, except for a Saturday. Weekdays I usually take it around hour 7 or 8 and I've never heard a thing about it. Is that a state law in your area?

Star B

White Lightening
Break times were brought up at my location this week. When an employee brought up taking breaks before the 5th hour would result in lates (rather than taking breaks later in the day to avoid them) our Sr Mgr threatened to hire more PT'ers.
Do you have an issue with retention at your station? That may be the best thing. Do it. Hire more. Watch your training budget go thru the roof while you churn new employees because you can't manage :censored2:.

El Morado Diablo

We have more people than we've ever had before. We are like a lot of stations, PT'ers often do the sort then P1 overflow. Half the year they are paying them guarantee pay and complaining about it but they don't want them on road hurting productivity. Too many bodies just to keep the service levels as high as they can with constantly late freight.

El Morado Diablo

I don't think I've ever taken my 30 min break in the first 5 hours, except for a Saturday. Weekdays I usually take it around hour 7 or 8 and I've never heard a thing about it. Is that a state law in your area?

State law, you can sign a waiver to let you take your break later in your shift.

MAKAVELI

California law is to start your break by the 5th hour unless you don't work over 6.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If a courier delivers everything on the route but does it all the wrong way, they won't fix it because "it got done".

In all fairness, the typical courier would balk at any efforts at "fixing it" because "It got done, what's the problem?"

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Your idea of “fair” is arrogant and misguided.
While I sympathize with those who have to deal with clueless management (don't we all?), I also recognize that the workplace is NOT a democracy, and that our job is to follow the dictates of those in that position. Fairness only applies to equal treatment, not the directive itself.
Tilting at windmills is unproductive and frustrating. Adapt or move on. Or move into management and discover for yourself.

Purplepackage

Break times were brought up at my location this week. When an employee brought up taking breaks before the 5th hour would result in lates (rather than taking breaks later in the day to avoid them) our Sr Mgr threatened to hire more PT'ers. The route in question was a PM area route that wasn't done any favors when they added FO service earlier this year. I think the courier in question is going to call the Sr Mgr's bluff by taking his break when he should and let management deal with the service failures.

20 minute breaks are acceptable right now at my station, we are severely understaffed and have too much work.

They are just happy we show up everyday

Oldfart

20 minute breaks are acceptable right now at my station, we are severely understaffed and have too much work.

No reason to take a 20 min break. No matter the volume or stops, I would be taking me a nice 30 to 45 min lunch to mellow and take it easy. Fortunately I don't work enough hours now to warrant a lunch.

dezguy

No one has been spoken to at my sta about breaks since black Friday.

You know it's peak when policy goes out the door.

Exec32

Couriers do not qualify for salary status. Contractors claim you have a salary to avoid hourly pay and mandatory overtime. They have all been breaking the law. If you ever want to get your money your owed, visit the labor board. You can go back 3 years for missed overtime.
Try it after you quit. Still have to pay it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I have NEVER understood couriers not taking their full break.

Then again, I'm not into self-flagellation, either.

(Maybe there's a correlation there.)

bacha29

Don't let Memphis or management make this your problem. The problem belongs to them for over-selling.
Sales does it every damn year.But hey, salesman have to buy Christmas gifts too and need the commission money. The consequences? That's the contractor's problem.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
You know it's peak when policy goes out the door.
yes, yet we rest with assurance in the knowledge it shall make its triumphant return on 12/26!

“Thanks everyone for another successful peak. We couldn’t have done it without the supreme efforts of all of you and we so appreciate your dedication and sacrificing your family time. Bravo zulu and all that wonderful crap .....now off the clock! off the clock! off the clock, milkers!!!!!”

McFeely

Huge Member

I'm surprised they're allowing that, since the 30 min minimum break is state law where we are. Policy is 20+ min increments, but I figure they'd be worried if you guys didn't take 30.