Who's honestly going to retire as soon as they reach their benefit age?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
fear and lack of preparation keeps most people from retiring when they can.

other reasons like divorce, kids in college. death in family, disability , and many other reasons also come into play.

the best thing to do is prepare 5-10 years out and write down what you have to do to retire and have contingency plans for unexpected circumstances.

we got lucky. paid off house, paid off all debt, went to doctors and dentists and had all that stuff taken care of, built up a healthy 401k and savings as much as possible, and made sure all our grown children were OK.

knock on wood, so far so good. sure the bottom could fall out but haven't regretted retiring early and have loved every minute of the 2 years I have been out.

if things go to hell, we'll start all over.

The Milkman

Projected to have about +/- $800,000 using (retirement calculators based on 15% contribution and 7% average annual growth rate) in my retirement account by 55. That puts me at 25 years of service. If I'm in feeders and enjoying it I'll stick around if I'm healthy. If I'm in package and in pain everyday I'm out with early retirement. Maybe prepare for an encore career.

Trying to prophetically stay fit and eat healthy, etc. Just went on the 9.5 list. I'm not really worried about burnout because I have financial goals, no debt, no children. But I'm concerned about breaking down physically like I've seen even the younger guys do at my building this week in the heat wave.

At 55 I would think you seem to be ok with $$$, so don't limp out. What are your financial goals if in a wheelchair or worse? No kids etc. RUN out he door as soon as you are eligible. So you want to stick around if you are healthy, and then retire when you are not? By then it will be too late to get back any years you wasted chasing the greenbacks.

badpal

At 55 I would think you seem to be ok with $$$, so don't limp out. What are your financial goals if in a wheelchair or worse? No kids etc. RUN out he door as soon as you are eligible. So you want to stick around if you are healthy, and then retire when you are not? By then it will be too late to get back any years you wasted chasing the greenbacks.
Sitting here at 530 am on a Sunday morning with an icepack on my knee, and suffering with severe leg cramps during the night, your advice sure sounds good.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
If I land some easy air shuttle gig or something before then I'll probably stay a little longer, but otherwise I won't be here a day longer than necessary. Hopefully that's by 52.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My brothers old boss said his only regret was not retiring when he was eligible.He said that 2 weeks before he died.
We saw a lot of that at our old center. A guy would retire and 6 months later he would be dead. It happened about 5-6 times in a couple years. I was just starting at that time and I knew back then I would retire from THIS job as soon as eligible.

BigMoney

Got divorced last year diagnosed with melanoma cancer this year.Would have been financially smarter to work a few more years since i lost alot in the divorce but said heck with it.

BigMoney

The plan was to retire this year before the divorce but why should i change my plans just because my ex wife had some kind of mid life crisis.

smurfybrown

happily retired
fear and lack of preparation keeps most people from retiring when they can.

other reasons like divorce, kids in college. death in family, disability , and many other reasons also come into play.

the best thing to do is prepare 5-10 years out and write down what you have to do to retire and have contingency plans for unexpected circumstances.

we got lucky. paid off house, paid off all debt, went to doctors and dentists and had all that stuff taken care of, built up a healthy 401k and savings as much as possible, and made sure all our grown children were OK.

knock on wood, so far so good. sure the bottom could fall out but haven't regretted retiring early and have loved every minute of the 2 years I have been out.

if things go to hell, we'll start all over.
Those are words of wisdom, oldroad, about looking down the road and having a backup plan. Living within your means and not on excessively high mortgage and other consumer credit just to keep up with everybody else on material possessions. Debt=slavery

Last edited by a moderator:

badpal

Recent injury or what happened?
Very proud and lucky I never had an injury at work, its just a result of almost 40 years of work. Almost a normal part of life now, my body all crookedy. Hate to be a thread derailer but does anybody have any advice on the legs cramps? I get them so bad in the thigh and lower legs just about makes me bawl. And weird thing is never get them while working, only on weekends really when I get up from relaxing.

The Driver

I drive.
Very proud and lucky I never had an injury at work, its just a result of almost 40 years of work. Almost a normal part of life now, my body all crookedy. Hate to be a thread derailer but does anybody have any advice on the legs cramps? I get them so bad in the thigh and lower legs just about makes me bawl. And weird thing is never get them while working, only on weekends really when I get up from relaxing.

Sorry to hear about your terrible leg cramps. I would seriously consider trying some light yoga. Search YouTube for yoga for hamstrings. It helps me, I can tell a difference.

trickpony1

Hate to be a thread derailer but does anybody have any advice on the legs cramps?

Do you hydrate during the day? Any electrolyte drinks or just water? I wouldn't drink one of the popular sports drinks unless it was an extreme emergency.

Do you stretch your quads, hamstrings and gastrocs when you get home?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Iam no Dr. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once

Sounds like dehydration to me

peekaboo