Why are new contracts always last minute and beyond?

PT Car Washer

While we can thank the union for where we stand, it's a tremendous amount of money they collect vs what they actually do. Negotiate a few months every 5 years is the biggest thing, while assisting some guys here and there in getting there job back and such.
For some employees the Union is year long job security. 10% of the members take up 90% of the Union's time.

JL 0513

Ok, JL, how many different routes have you had.

Bids, not cover. Cover doesn't count.

There's no difference being a cover driver and a bid driver, at least where I am. I've been bidding cover for 6 years turning down many available routes. Some guys stay cover forever.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While we can thank the union for where we stand, it's a tremendous amount of money they collect vs what they actually do. Negotiate a few months every 5 years is the biggest thing, while assisting some guys here and there in getting there job back and such.

You do realize that UPS, while by far the biggest, is just one company represented by the IBT, and that not all bargaining agreements are the same nor are they of the same number of years and/or expire on the same day.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
They seem to operate like Congress with spending bills. Wait until the government shutdown occurs, then try a pass a spending bill.

I haven't been around for many new contracts but quickly noticed that the union and company are negotiating in the final weeks of the outgoing contracts expiration date and beyond. Like the last contract, we begin the new contract not knowing what our actual current pay is in which we are later owed back pay.

The whole thing should be finalized and voted upon at about this point on the calendar. Am I too idealistic? The money the union strips from us for 5 years and we know nothing until the old one expires?
It could have been, but UPS didn’t say YES!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You've given them $5,000 during this contract. How much have they done for you?
What have you done for them?
Your healthcare and pension cost a tremendous amount of money as well.
That's why I feel like I'm gypped. I've never come close to being canned. I've never contacted the union for anything.
Job security and benefits like this aren’t easy to find.

Heavy Package

While we can thank the union for where we stand, it's a tremendous amount of money they collect vs what they actually do.

I would gladly pay the union $1000 / yr ($5k this past contract) for the benefits package alone. We would not get that benefit without them. Just renewed our church budget and pastor's benefits package is just over $20k / yr cost. Employee medical benefits are eating business budgets lunch. Just want another 5 years worth in this contract.....

JL 0513

You do realize that UPS, while by far the biggest, is just one company represented by the IBT, and that not all bargaining agreements are the same nor are they of the same number of years and/or expire on the same day.

Of course, but that doesn't change my argument.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Yeah, I guess negotiating 5 years of progress and keeping people employed isn’t worth it. Do you take drugs?

JL 0513

Think of the union as an insurance company that you hope you will never have to use.

As PT said, 10% of the members create 90% of their work.

The insurance analogy is actually a good point. I've never been in a car accident and it's sickening to realize the many ten's of thousands of dollars I've paid the insurance company.

Not saying they don't do anything, but their proportional fees seem to be in line with attorney or medical fees. Where talking billions collected here.

JL 0513

What have you done for them?
Given them $5,000 in the last 5 years and lots more before that.

Your healthcare and pension cost a tremendous amount of money as well.

Yup, which the union negotiated. UPS pays it. I swear some people think our benefits come from the union.

It's interesting that we wouldn't accept having the same amount deducted from our check to contribute to health insurance, but do so without question to the union.

Job security and benefits like this aren’t easy to find.

Agreed, I'm not questioning the importance of the union, just that you know full well the money is being used for a lot more than the services they are there to provide to us. Such as political contributions which is by definition outrageous since union members aren't of one political association.