Why are new contracts always last minute and beyond?

F

Frankie's Friend

Inadvisable.

"Conversations" like that, can easily be misconstrued as violence in the workplace.

Reason being.... they are the company's customers, not the drivers.

-Bug-
If there was a problem on my bid when i was off id respectfully get the cover drivers take on the issue to try to:
A. Diffuse the situation so that management would not have to be called by the customer...and
B. For clarification purposes to help the cover driver understand the issue so OJT will help them out in their career after im gone.

It's never as "one sided conversation".
There's rarely just one side anyway.
Respect goes a long way in my book.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I like knowing addresses in the dark. Friendly dogs, unfriendly dogs. Hot women, fat chicks. Where is there good food? Clean bathroom? Spots to take lunch I won’t get bothered. And the customers take care of me.
all of these things can and will be known after a few days doing a particular route. Unless you're bad at your job, or lack awareness. It's not rocket science.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Inadvisable.

"Conversations" like that, can easily be misconstrued as violence in the workplace.

Reason being.... they are the company's customers, not the drivers.

-Bug-

Perhaps but they can be every effective.

Several Peaks ago I was being "asked" to bail out a new driver during Peak. After the third day in a row I was frustrated to the point where we had a very one sided conversation in which I expressed my displeasure with having to run my route and part of his. Yes, I was "asked" by my center manager to apologize, but that newbie is one of our best cover drivers today, so...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
With orion theres fewer good routes left but if you bid a decent one (many lower seniority drivers here have decent bid routes) its good.
We can take "scheduled off days" here as bid holders and they grant them in seniority order.
I don't know of a single driver without 15 or 20 years (or so) that has anywhere near a decent route. I am nearing 15 FT years and couldn't bid a decent route. This is the largest hub in the region with something like 300 drivers.

F

Frankie's Friend

Thing is, I know a good 20 routes like the back of my hand. Another 10 I know casually. In my center, you need around 18 years of driver seniority to finally get a town route (vs city). As a cover driver of 5 years, I run town routes 80% of the time.
Sounds familiar. I had to learn 26 routes in my first 30 months of driving...without edd and mostly in the blind.
One day I read in the contract book that the company had to bid the training routes so i forced them to bid one. It sucked but as i learned to take my breaks and lunch at the proper time (during the heart of the commercial delivery stops) it finally became a good route when about 200 pcs had to be moved off of it.
It was worth the move when you do it by the book.

F

Frankie's Friend

Perhaps but they can be every effective.

Several Peaks ago I was being "asked" to bail out a new driver during Peak. After the third day in a row I was frustrated to the point where we had a very one sided conversation in which I expressed my displeasure with having to run my route and part of his. Yes, I was "asked" by my center manager to apologize, but that newbie is one of our best cover drivers today, so...
So youre lucky. Thats what.
This is 2018 and aggression/violence in the workplace and creating a hostile work environment has far reaching and permanent repercussions.

JL 0513

Like what ?

Do you know what the LM-2 reports are ?

You know, using Union Dues for political contributions is illegal.... right ?

-Bug-

Nevertheless, unions contribute ten's of millions to politics/lobbying.The distinction is that it's supposed to be through PACs. Funny, I don't ever remember being asked to donate to a PAC. I'm just slightly sceptical that not 1 penny of dues is tied to politics. There's indirect and direct uses for the money.

F

Frankie's Friend

Nevertheless, unions contribute ten's of millions to politics/lobbying.The distinction is that it's supposed to be through PACs. Funny, I don't ever remember being asked to donate to a PAC. I'm just slightly sceptical that not 1 penny of dues is tied to politics. There's indirect and direct uses for the money.
Please help yourself out by calling in tomorrow and ask to be taken off the seniority list.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Right. So when you have to cover a route that has none of the pleasantries, what do you do then? I like doing the same route. You don’t. Great.
Take a dead day ;) No I get it, some people like routine. Myself, I'd go bonkers with the redundancy factor of seeing the same people every day, doing the same thing, for more than a few weeks. I like looking back at my life and having benchmarks of what happened when, not a big blur of 10 years doing one thing with no points in time. That's depressing!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I know.... Google is quicker than that. :biggrin:

Ever heard of D.R.I.V.E. ????

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Sounds familiar. I had to learn 26 routes in my first 30 months of driving...without edd and mostly in the blind.

It's funny you say that.

I did the same thing on paper with a map book.

Found out real quick, a donut and a cup of coffee is how you start.

Then it's one stop at a time.

All day....

-Bug-

F

Frankie's Friend

Take a dead day ;) No I get it, some people like routine. Myself, I'd go bonkers with the redundancy factor of seeing the same people every day, doing the same thing, for more than a few weeks. I like looking back at my life and having benchmarks of what happened when, not a big blur of 10 years doing one thing with no points in time. That's depressing!
Evidently you dont have a choice since you "cant bid a decent route". Its a mute issue.
Its always better to hate what you cant have anyway.:biggrin:

F

Frankie's Friend

It's funny you say that.

I did the same thing on paper with a map book.

Found out real quick, a donut and a cup of coffee is how you start.

Then it's one stop at a time.

All day....

-Bug-
I was skinny back then.
And not by choice.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Evidently you dont have a choice since you "cant bid a decent route". Its a mute issue.
Its always better to hate what you cant have anyway.:biggrin:
Hate on a UPS driver? LOL It's embarrassing enough working at UPS, never mind being putting on that tacky uniform and being a truck driver. I like my inside job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Benchmarks:

2003 Daughter graduates HS and enrolls in college

2005 Son graduates HS and also enrolls in college

2007 Daughter graduates college and is engaged to what's his name

2009 Son graduates college and enrolls in grad school

2010 Son graduates with his MBA and begins his professional career

2011 Daughter marries what's his name

2015 Granddaughter born

2016 Grandson born

2018 Retirement

F

Frankie's Friend

Benchmarks:

2003 Daughter graduates HS and enrolls in college

2005 Son graduates HS and also enrolls in college

2007 Daughter graduates college and is engaged to what's his name

2009 Son graduates college and enrolls in grad school

2010 Son graduates with his MBA and begins his professional career

2011 Daughter marries what's his name

2015 Granddaughter born

2016 Grandson born

2018 Retirement
Does "what's his name" call you Dad?

PS/ 2018 leaving Brown Cafe Forums. Add that.