Why are new contracts always last minute and beyond?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
just that you know full well the money is being used for a lot more than the services they are there to provide to us.

Like what ?

Do you know what the LM-2 reports are ?

Such as political contributions which is by definition outrageous since union members aren't of one political association.

You know, using Union Dues for political contributions is illegal.... right ?

-Bug-

F

Frankie's Friend

Hmmm.
Well at the beginning of the contract I was a seasonal driver helper making $8.50 an hour. I'll hit 100k this year, with benefits that are unmatched around here.

So.... a lot I guess.
Dude, you made $8.50 an hour as a seasonal driver helper? Ok.
That's a great story.

JL 0513

Bid drivers tend to take ownership of their routes and as a result generally take better care of their customers.

Depends on the individual. As I said in another thread, I hear constantly about how much my actions are appreciated over the "regular" guy. The regular guy is "always grumpy", or just "throws packages".

As cover, I know if I do something inappropriate, customers would then tell the bid guy and I'd have to answer to him.

When you said there's a big difference between the two I thought you met as a technical matter of some sort.

F

Frankie's Friend

Depends on the individual. As I said in another thread, I hear constantly about how much my actions are appreciated over the "regular" guy. The regular guy is "always grumpy", or just "throws packages".

As cover, I know if I do something inappropriate, customers would then tell the bid guy and I'd have to answer to him.

When you said there's a big difference between the two I thought you met as a technical matter of some sort.
You dont answer to any other hourly. But you may answer to your boss.
Some people are always grumpy. That has nothing to do with the majority of bid driver's relationship with their customers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You dont answer to any other hourly. But you may answer to your boss.
Some people are always grumpy. That has nothing to do with the majority of bid driver's relationship with their customers.

I respectfully disagree----if one of my cover drivers pisses off one of my customers we will have a very one sided conversation.

F

Frankie's Friend

I respectfully disagree----if one of my cover drivers pisses off one of my customers we will have a very one sided conversation.
That is a problem. One sided conversations normally stall out when the other side tells their side of the issue.
Many young drivers do things out of ignorance and poor training.
You gotta hear both sides and proceed from there.
Often it is just a misunderstanding easily rectified.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why would I want to run the same route everyday?
I'd much rather be cover driver near the top of the list, working decent routes and having some variety, than be at the bottom of the list picking miserable, awful routes that no one wants, and being stuck on them 5 days a week. Plus you can take an occasional dead day as a cover, while bidding a route, you're far less likely.

F

Frankie's Friend

I'd much rather be cover driver near the top of the list, working decent routes and having some variety, than be at the bottom of the list picking awful routes that no one wants, and being stuck on them 5 days a week. Plus you can take an occasional dead day as a cover, while bidding a route, you're far less likely.
With orion theres fewer good routes left but if you bid a decent one (many lower seniority drivers here have decent bid routes) its good.
We can take "scheduled off days" here as bid holders and they grant them in seniority order.

JL 0513

Its easier. More rewarding.

Thing is, I know a good 20 routes like the back of my hand. Another 10 I know casually. In my center, you need around 18 years of driver seniority to finally get a town route (vs city). As a cover driver of 5 years, I run town routes 80% of the time.

JL 0513

I like knowing addresses in the dark. Friendly dogs, unfriendly dogs. Hot women, fat chicks. Where is there good food? Clean bathroom? Spots to take lunch I won’t get bothered. And the customers take care of me.

When you cover long enough, most if these things are realized for the many routes you do. With the addition of variety. I enjoy restaurants from my entire center's area.