Why do we fail to follow proper driver release methods?

hdkappler

i thought the topic was bad dr's... why do we make them? because if we have to many send agains we have to go back later,,
plus the fact ups doesn't want to make home deliveries because they cost extra money.they only care about bus.that's were the money is.in the peoria,il it's big compaines first.them small.

Kis124

at our hub, we get talked to in our pcm every other day about damages. we are to stop progress on packages that are even a little bit open. I also make a point to help train my unloaders the proper way to handle packages. I had a guy unloading my trailer who was throwing Dell boxes. I went to my sup and requested a new unloader. The reason? I am responsible for damaged goods that I SPA. I also have a lot of deliveries from UPS come to my house and I would be pissed if I received a computer that was broken.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The ones that burn me up are the pkgs with the size 15 footprints stomped into it. Nothing says caring like a box with the guts stomped out of it.How do you guys sheet up a pkg to be rewrapped?Ive been here for 22 years and I have not received a straight answer yet.

If I see it before I leave the building, I dont sheet it at all. Instead, I put a service cross on it that says "damaged" and I leave it on the belt. Sometimes I have to do that for 2 or at the most 3 straight days, but eventually they get tired of dealing with the damn thing and they rewrap it.

soberups

Integrity

If the drivers in my center are directed by our (former--since retired) District security supervisor to sheet suspected damages as Future then they will be sheeted as Future. We are talking about semantics here--in the end we are both doing the right thing by not delivering the suspected damages and bringing them back to the center for inspection. Truth be told, I don't feel that strongly about the issue to take a stand on it and damn sure am not ready to lose my job over it.

I dont care if Jesus Christ told me to sheet it as a "future"....to sheet it as anything other than "missed" is dishonest and I wouldnt do it. What you call "semantics" I call defrauding the customer out of a rightfully deserved refund for services paid for and not received. If they dont like the manner in which you have recorded the package they have the ability to edit your timecard in order to create whatever fiction will make them look good on the daily report. They wont do it, of course, because the editing creates a paper trail and they would much rather have an hourly do the lying for them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's not missed. I was at the delivery point and was uncertain about the condition of the package. By using Future it allows the PM clerk to inspect the package and either rewrap it and put if OFD or RTS it.

UPS pays the wholesale price for damaged goods if we RTS before attempting delivery but pays retail if we deliver it and the consignee discovers the damage.

I work as directed and as you read above menotyou received the same instructions.
Why did I get dragged into this? :angry:
That District Security Manager fired me. I think he can bite me with his instructions. Lying SOB! I would love to tell you what I use to call him to his co-workers ..........................

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think 407 is talking about catching the damage before attempting delivery. We sheet those as Future (per B.Salontino) and type "damage" in the remarks.

Oh, yeah, that trick. Same here.

Why did I get dragged into this? :angry:
That District Security Manager fired me. I think he can bite me with his instructions. Lying SOB! I would love to tell you what I use to call him to his co-workers ..........................

Does this ring a bell?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why did you drag me into your little fight? You can't do it yourself? Do I use you in mine?

I never said I agreed with it or followed it. Above the radar.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yes, our management requests that we follow Sally's directive. Sally had problems handing out candy. I didn't like Sally, nor did I listen to Sally's directive to be dishonest.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whatever. Your silence indicated compliance with the directive.

As I said earlier this is merely semantics and the end result is the same. I don't feel strongly enough about it to be willing to accept discipline for not working as directed. This doesn't happen often enough to make it an issue.

I am out of here for the day. Heading down to Albany to spend the day with my daughter. What's his name has to work until 2pm (or later) so we will be driving up from Albany to Clifton Park to take him out to lunch when he is done working. I will then head home and they will go home together.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Whatever. Your silence indicated compliance with the directive.

As I said earlier this is merely semantics and the end result is the same. I don't feel strongly enough about it to be willing to accept discipline for not working as directed. This doesn't happen often enough to make it an issue.

I am out of here for the day. Heading down to Albany to spend the day with my daughter. What's his name has to work until 2pm (or later) so we will be driving up from Albany to Clifton Park to take him out to lunch when he is done working. I will then head home and they will go home together.
I can't do anything in silence.

Be careful driving, and enjoy your day, Dave.

soberups

Lets say I sit down at my computer on Monday, go to a website, and order a widget. I pull out my credit card, and pay ABC company for the cost of the widget plus the cost of whatever service level of shipping that I choose. UPS has a time-in-transit gurantee, so for whatever service level I am paying for I am getting a gurantee that the package will arrive at my doorstep by a certain date.

Lets say I pay extra $$ for 2nd Day Air. Lets say that Wednesday comes around and I am waiting for my widget, and it never gets delivered.

As the customer....I dont care about "semantics". It doesnt matter to me whether the item is damaged, or misloaded, or misdelivered, or has as bad SPA label, or if the driver was given a hopeless dispatch so that his management team could cut enough cars to look good on a report. The only thing that matters....is that I paid extra money to have my widget delivered on Wednesday, UPS failed to deliver my widget on Wednesday, so I want my money back. If I am already unhappy about not getting what I paid for, the last thing that UPS should be doing is making a bad situation even worse by jerking me around and saying that I "futured' it or "refused" it or inventing a bogus "emergency condition" so that they can get out of refunding me my money.

If we damage it and therefore fail to deliver it on time, the package is "missed". Period.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Lets say I sit down at my computer on Monday, go to a website, and order a widget. I pull out my credit card, and pay ABC company for the cost of the widget plus the cost of whatever service level of shipping that I choose. UPS has a time-in-transit gurantee, so for whatever service level I am paying for I am getting a gurantee that the package will arrive at my doorstep by a certain date.

Lets say I pay extra $$ for 2nd Day Air. Lets say that Wednesday comes around and I am waiting for my widget, and it never gets delivered.

As the customer....I dont care about "semantics". It doesnt matter to me whether the item is damaged, or misloaded, or misdelivered, or has as bad SPA label, or if the driver was given a hopeless dispatch so that his management team could cut enough cars to look good on a report. The only thing that matters....is that I paid extra money to have my widget delivered on Wednesday, UPS failed to deliver my widget on Wednesday, so I want my money back. If I am already unhappy about not getting what I paid for, the last thing that UPS should be doing is making a bad situation even worse by jerking me around and saying that I "futured' it or "refused" it or inventing a bogus "emergency condition" so that they can get out of refunding me my money.

If we damage it and therefore fail to deliver it on time, the package is "missed". Period.

...and that Nancy isn't semantics, it's the difference between right and wrong.
You're wrong and he's right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would you prefer that we walk up to your door and show you the trashed package?

tourists24

Would you prefer that we walk up to your door and show you the trashed package?
No,,, the package should never make it on the truck to make it to the door. But if it does, there either needs to be a way to show that the package should be held to be checked. Since UPS wont do that, the delivery is not being serviced and therefore is missed. Anything else being shown as a failed reason would be dishonest and unethical

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No,,, the package should never make it on the truck to make it to the door. But if it does, there either needs to be a way to show that the package should be held to be checked. Since UPS wont do that, the delivery is not being serviced and therefore is missed. Anything else being shown as a failed reason would be dishonest and unethical

Even if I type "damaged" in the remarks column?

I am simply working as directed.

tourists24

Even if I type "damaged" in the remarks column?

I am simply working as directed.
I know you are,,,, and the general rule is work now and grieve later (unless unsafe or dishonest). There is just a line to be drawn and different people have a different point. I dont do it because I feel it is dishonest. I have told mgt if they will put it in writing then I will comply. They wont do it because if the customer complains, they cant explain it. Future is for the customer's convenience, not managements.