Why does UPS hate Jesus ?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
God has nothing to do with having morals.

Morals are meaningless without God. My sense of morality could be that I have a duty to impregnate as many women as possible, and murder any competitors who try to get in my way. From your position there is no way to argue against that. Your sense of morality could inform you that it is your duty to try and stop me from violating other people's rights, which they don't have anyway. The person who is right is the one who survives whatever stand off there might be.

El Correcto

god is dead
Morals are meaningless without God. My sense of morality could be that I have a duty to impregnate as many women as possible, and murder any competitors who try to get in my way. From your position there is no way to argue against that. Your sense of morality could inform you that it is your duty to try and stop me from violating other people's rights, which they don't have anyway. The person who is right is the one who survives whatever stand off there might be.
Gods are created out of human ignorance and there will always be room for them outside the limits of human understanding.

Overpaid Union Thug

The only true religion.

upload_2020-4-21_23-13-54.jpeg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Gods are created out of human ignorance and there will always be room for them outside the limits of human understanding.

There is utility in creating an explanation for the unexplained. When you run into something you don't understand it creates a level of anxiety because you don't know if it poses a threat. The fight or flight neuron circuit, which exists to help keep us alive, will continue to fire until there is a resolution about a determined threat level. Creating an explanation, even if it completely imaginary, allows you to move on with your life. The pitfall of this process is that these explanations can become dogmatic. People cling to these explanations, because if they are proven wrong without a sufficient replacement, the threat anxiety returns. We think of this as a primitive thought process, which it is, but it is still functioning in everyone. Some people are aware of it, and attempt to compensate accordingly. Others are not aware of it, and allow that circuit to take control in times of stress.

That is one explanation for the creation of gods, but it does not preclude the existence of God.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Why is the passage about sexual immorality in Corinthians 6:9

Im just saying Jesus was a freak look into it bro.

Corinthians was written by Paul, long after Jesus ascended. Paul had hang ups, and it is highly likely, based on some of his fixations, that they were sexual in nature.

El Correcto

god is dead
There is utility in creating an explanation for the unexplained. When you run into something you don't understand it creates a level of anxiety because you don't know if it poses a threat. The fight or flight neuron circuit, which exists to help keep us alive, will continue to fire until there is a resolution about a determined threat level. Creating an explanation, even if it completely imaginary, allows you to move on with your life. We think of this as a primitive thought process, which it is, but it is still functioning in everyone. Some people are aware of it, and attempt to compensate accordingly. Others are not aware of it, and allow that circuit to take control in times of stress. That is one explanation for the creation of gods, but it does not preclude the existence of God.
I’ll never be able to prove with a hundred percent certainty that the christian god doesn’t exist, that’s only because religious folk will move the goal post continually for their own beliefs.

For instance, young earth. Human beings were not around during the creation of the earth and it didn’t happen in a matter of days.

Explain it away however you like, but your bible is wrong and we are not even off the first page yet. I wouldn’t use that garbage to line the bottom of a bird cage.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’ll never be able to prove with a hundred percent certainty that the christian god doesn’t exist, that’s only because religious folk will move the goal post continually for their own beliefs.

For instance, young earth. Human beings were not around during the creation of the earth and it didn’t happen in a matter of days.

Explain it away however you like, but your bible is wrong and we are not even off the first page yet. I wouldn’t use that garbage to line the bottom of a bird cage.

My point is not to prove the existence of God, trying to do so is as pointless as trying to prove the opposite. I am simply pointing out the implications of the non-existence of God.

Young Earth is one of the more literal explanations of Genesis. It is my understanding that even religious Jews don't take it that literally. The creation story through the fall of man is most likely allegorical. I take the approach that it is allegorical, but an all-powerful Creator would have the ability to create a set of circumstances wherein it would be literal truth. One such possibility is that God created a universe that was billions of years old.

You can also think of it in terms of the old question about trees falling with no one around to hear them. If conciousness didn't exist in the universe to observe it, did the universe exist? The timeline in Genesis could well trace back to the beginning of human conciousness, or the advent of language.

You don't have to accept everything in the Bible as literal truth to gain anything from reading it. Very few other modern nations have existed as long as the Jews have, nor do they have a documented history quite like what is found in the Bible. It's pretty interesting to read the story from the dawn of consciousness through nomadic tribalism and on to advancing civilization.

watdaflock?

My sense of morality could be that I have a duty to impregnate as many women as possible, and murder any competitors who try to get in my way. From your position there is no way to argue against that. Your sense of morality could inform you that it is your duty to try and stop me from violating other people's rights, which they don't have anyway. The person who is right is the one who survives whatever stand off there might be.
Too bad you can't think for yourself.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Too bad you can't think for yourself.

Are you implying that morals are a natural result of the ability to think, of logic, of consciousness? That is pretty much the only thing that separates us from other animals. If we are going to let the laws of nature to inform our morals, and evolutionary processes reign supreme, then it is moral to cull the weak so that only the fittest survive.

We have only pleasure, pain and the biological imperative to inform our sense of morality. Yet, why is it that so many people believe it is moral to care for the weak and infirm, at such great personal cost? It makes no sense. What can you attribute that to if not the existence of some moral authority? How do you know that's even moral at all in the face of so much evidence to the contrary? I'm really interested in your thoughts, because I haven't found any answers.

Indecisi0n

Are you implying that morals are a natural result of the ability to think, of logic, of consciousness? That is pretty much the only thing that separates us from other animals. If we are going to let the laws of nature to inform our morals, and evolutionary processes reign supreme, then it is moral to cull the weak so that only the fittest survive.

We have only pleasure, pain and the biological imperative to inform our sense of morality. Yet, why is it that so many people believe it is moral to care for the weak and infirm, at such great personal cost? It makes no sense. What can you attribute that to if not the existence of some moral authority? How do you know that's even moral at all in the face of so much evidence to the contrary? I'm really interested in your thoughts, because I haven't found any answers.
If you really want to get deep , if you think about it morals , right us wrong it's all made up. It's all created by man. It really means nothing. Who says we have to care for the weak? Who says killing another person is wrong ? These were all created by man.

I ask, who says those men were right? Who are those men to write laws that governor everyone else ?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you really want to get deep , if you think about it morals , right us wrong it's all made up. It's all created by man. It really means nothing. Who says we have to care for the weak? Who says killing another person is wrong ? These were all created by man.

I ask, who says those men were right? Who are those men to write laws that governor everyone else ?

That's all I am saying. Why would any human have authority to dictate morals to any other human? That is reality in the absence of God.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
That is what is happening. You just have humans claiming god is dictating the morals they are preaching.
Why is it that atheists insist on trying to force Christians to accept that there is no God?

I can understand why those with faith would want to convince non-believers. They (whether misguided or not), are trying to save your soul from eternal damnation. It isn't (for the most part) an attempt to berate you for being an idiot, or make sure you know you are less of an intellectual.
They want to help you.

But all I see from trying to disprove God's existence is the desire to tear people down. To hurt them by taking away something from them that means a lot.
My guess would be it's likely done out of some sort of internal pain, but I'd like to know why it would mean so much to you. What is your thought process?

El Correcto

god is dead
Why is it that atheists insist on trying to force Christians to accept that there is no God?

I can understand why those with faith would want to convince non-believers. They (whether misguided or not), are trying to save your soul from eternal damnation. It isn't (for the most part) an attempt to berate you for being an idiot, or make sure you know you are less of an intellectual.
They want to help you.

But all I see from trying to disprove God's existence is the desire to tear people down. To hurt them by taking away something from them that means a lot.
My guess would be it's likely done out of some sort of internal pain, but I'd like to know why it would mean so much to you. What is your thought process?
Nothing bad has ever happened by having large swaths of people believing they are answering to the ultimate authority whose “laws” disparage minorities. Nope works out great every time.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That is what is happening. You just have humans claiming god is dictating the morals they are preaching.

I don't dispute that that happens. But if God does not exist, these people are setting themselves up as god. In the absence of God, you have no more authority to say they a wrong than for them to say they are right. The real problem in that scenario is collectivist thought. It is the power in numbers that give them the ability to trample the rights of individuals. Jesus' plight perfectly exemplified the injustice that is possible due to group psychology.