Why is a Strike Quite Possible?

Thebrownblob

$5 raise?
Make no mistake, money will be thrown at us, Labor is difficult to find. The average negotiated union contract in the last year and a half has had wages rise between 10 and 24%. Somewhere right now UPS is trying to decide how much money they should throw at us to shut us up about many of the work rules were unhappy about.

Cowboy Mac

$5 raise?
$5 raise per year for every employee until the end of the contract. So top rate drivers should be at about $65/hr by 2028.

Part timers should start at $20/hr and be at $45/hr by 2028.

Plus pension increases and all that good stuff. Then I’ll vote yes.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
$5 raise per year for every employee until the end of the contract. So top rate drivers should be at about $65/hr by 2028.

What I'm saying is, what will it take, what price for full timers to sell out and run with the cash?

Cowboy Mac

What I'm saying is, what will it take, what price for full timers to sell out and run with the cash?
I think for most people it’s much lower than what I just said. I would bet for $50/hr by 2028, most full timers would sell their brothers out. They don’t think about the fact that we are locked in to this deal for 5 years.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I think for most people it’s much lower than what I just said. I would bet for $50/hr by 2028, most full timers would sell their brothers out. They don’t think about the fact that we are locked in to this deal for 5 years.
I think they'd sell out for $2 annual raises. But that's just me.

oldupsman

How much of a raise/pension bump would it take for you to forget about the other stuff and vote yes?
No amount.
There are too many other concerns.
I'll stick my nose in here even though I'm long gone.

If you make this contract all about working conditions and not about raises the public
will be on your side. Forced 6th day punch? Broken toilets? Ridiculously long working hours?
Short equipment and personnel? The list goes on and on.

If I'm Sean O'Brien, that's the first thing out of my mouth. "It's not about the money,
it's about working conditions." People will absolutely relate to that. I think this is a real chance
to clean up alot of working conditions issues more than getting more money.

Cowboy Mac

I think I could compromise somewhere before 5 bucks an hour annual raises...

We've got an immense amount of leverage here, but I think going extreme is a great way to kill the goose that's laying the golden eggs.
My idea of compromise is if we get offered anything less than my previous post, there has to be something else in that contract that benefits us. Some subcontracting language or harassment, 6th punch language.

I’m not willing to budge on $20/hr part time starting wage. And getting rid of 22.4s is a given.

Cowboy Mac

If you make this contract all about working conditions and not about raises the public
will be on your side. Forced 6th day punch? Broken toilets? Ridiculously long working hours?

If I'm Sean O'Brien, that's the first thing out of my mouth. "It's not about the money,
it's about working conditions." People will absolutely relate to that. I think this is a real chance
That’s great and I agree that the public will be on board with other issues more than money, but money is really what we need right now more than anything. Congress is walking around right now with a pair of scissors, cutting holes in our pockets.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

$7 a hour, basically everything stays the same. You take?

Thebrownblob

I can almost guarantee you it will be at least that.

Thebrownblob

I’m so glad to get 82 cents/hr when my cost of living probably went up around the equivalent of $4/hr.
I’ve said it before and most people don’t believe it. But the company really does get a bargain with us. The money we make is good but what they get out of us in return is production and efficiency like no other company. And that is despite their piss poor management.

Trucker Clock

I’m so glad to get 82 cents/hr when my cost of living probably went up around the equivalent of $4/hr.

Yes, inflation is over 8% now, but you forget that when inflation goes back down, you still keep that 82 cents per hour.

So you are taking a hit right now, but should come out ahead in the long run.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Make no mistake, money will be thrown at us, Labor is difficult to find. The average negotiated union contract in the last year and a half has had wages rise between 10 and 24%. Somewhere right now UPS is trying to decide how much money they should throw at us to shut us up about many of the work rules were unhappy about.

The pensions will be one of battlefield issues on the table.... There are a lot of high seniority members eligible for retirement who are just waiting on this contract in order to put their papers in.

What is needed is a COLA for every pension plan ... major improvements in the 25 and out formulas for full and part timers...No caps on accruing credit years and monetary raises.

It is doable ... the money is already there...the busted up veterans will be able to leave with a decent pension with Healthcare included, their replacements will be far younger and will provide more monetary contributions into the pension trusts for the next 25 + years.

Cowboy Mac

Yes, inflation is over 8% now, but you forget that when inflation goes back down, you still keep that 82 cents per hour.

So you are taking a hit right now, but should come out ahead in the long run.
You realize that when the inflation rate goes back down to a lower rate, the currency is still inflated. It’s not losing value, it’s inflating at a lower rate at that point.

The only way to “come out ahead” would be if there was a negative rate of inflation, like there was during the Great Depression. An event like this would be very painful for the economy in the short term before it got better.