Why is it so miserable

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If the job is so bad , why do drivers not quit? Even if your answer is simply money, then it proves that it's already better than anything else you can get. Otherwise, you'd go to the greener side of the fence.

Long hours? Sure. We're not the only ones though. I've had to work 60 hours a week since I started working 16 years ago because one job's paycheck was never enough. Now, I can finally work just one job. 46 hours a week is easy in comparison. How about doing what millions of other people do, work retail or in a restaurant. Work all weekend. Work every Holiday. All for about minimum wage.

THEY have something to complain about.
Those millions of people have no more/less right to complain than any of us. They chose their lot in life, the same as we did. If they hate working all weekends and holidays for minimum wage, then they can quit and find better jobs....hey go work for ups lol. I'd love to quit, but where the friend am I gonna go? Go work friend/T at 7-11 for 12 bucks an hr and no benefits? I'm not even a driver yet, but I've got too much time in to take a pay cut and lose my insurance.

Last edited:
A

anonymous6

Why is UPS such a miserable place to work? From top to bottom people are dissatisfied. Personally, if I was at the top I would want to make it a place where people loved coming to work, a place where people to pride in working. I have heard that is how it once was, but in the end one can't go home feeling great about the way they have been treated or the way they have treated others. I feel a UPS representative should tell customers, "thank you for choosing UPS, how can you help me?"

it may have been a miserable place for you and that's why you quit. i love working here. i love the pay, bennies, coworkers. i love all of it. im on vacation right now. one of the 8 i get every year plus 8 holidays and 9 sick days. ( thanks to the teamsters ) i only work 200 days a year and make about 140k with all bennies added. that doesn't even count the medical that we use every year. when i get my pension, 401k, and social security that i contributed to thru my wages, ill receive at least another 2 million dollars over the 25-years that i will have in retirement.

how miserable are you are now???? ( life is what you make of it , kid )

blkmamba

it may have been a miserable place for you and that's why you quit. i love working here. i love the pay, bennies, coworkers. i love all of it. im on vacation right now. one of the 8 i get every year plus 8 holidays and 9 sick days. ( thanks to the teamsters ) i only work 200 days a year and make about 140k with all bennies added. that doesn't even count the medical that we use every year. when i get my pension, 401k, and social security that i contributed to thru my wages, ill receive at least another 2 million dollars over the 25-years that i will have in retirement.

how miserable are you are now???? ( life is what you make of it , kid )

much happier now that I am doing what I went to school for, however as miserable I was, I could have made it a better place for myself. Yet, I do not regret working for UPS, would I do it again, no. I learned a lot about life in general, but if I was at the top where you are I might have been a little less miserable, sadly my time started and ended as a bottom feeder.

brostalss

Welcome to The Teamsters.

This is is what happens when you have unions.

And in most workplaces, there are those who take pride in their work, challenge themselves to "git er done" and those who just see the paycheck at the end of the week.

It it is up to Top Brass to creat a good upbeat environment, but it seems they don't want to do that. Pretty sad.

Which attitude you bring into the Hub is up to you. If your day is heavy and your load is jacked, it's a little extra play money coming my way. Piss and moan about, you suffer because you still have to do your route.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I would argue, it is because of the union that I like my job. I'm highly productive, my company make profit, which we share with great wages and benefits. Without the union, this would be a hell place to work for sure!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Absolute. worst part of the job is getting home so late. I think if you took a survey of most drivers they would probably say thats the most annoying part of the job. There shouldnt be any reason why it couldn't be a 7 to 5 or 8 to 6 job. Most guys or gals would be willing to cut back on the excessive overtime to actually get home at a normal time so they can actually have a normal life and be able to see their family.

Yes agree 100%. We just need to look at it as. Let them make the decisions. It is always the wrong one. I make more money. Will take home a 2k ck this peak

A

anonymous6

much happier now that I am doing what I went to school for, however as miserable I was, I could have made it a better place for myself. Yet, I do not regret working for UPS, would I do it again, no. I learned a lot about life in general, but if I was at the top where you are I might have been a little less miserable, sadly my time started and ended as a bottom feeder.

you sound like one of my kids . they want everything handed to them. I was working min wage jobs for a couple years until going to truck driving school. worked 2 jobs 16 hrs a day to pay for it. my first driving job was 10 cents a mile and I worked 80 plus hrs a week for about 5 years until I could get a better job. then got better and better jobs for almost the next 10 years until an opportunity at UPS came up. was it luck? was it handed to me? it seems like the harder I work the luckier I get.

you have got a lot to learn.

brownrod

Why is UPS such a miserable place to work? From top to bottom people are dissatisfied. Personally, if I was at the top I would want to make it a place where people loved coming to work, a place where people to pride in working. I have heard that is how it once was, but in the end one can't go home feeling great about the way they have been treated or the way they have treated others. I feel a UPS representative should tell customers, "thank you for choosing UPS, how can you help me?"

I think it has a lot to do with the policy of "constructive dissatisfaction." Which in reality is executed as destructive dissatisfaction.

I love driving around giving people boxes. I hate the fact that no matter how hard I work I will always be a time stealing slug who was an hour overallowed.
​We are all just accidents waiting to happen.

Rico

I don't know that its just UPS, but the line of business as well. I don't know of too many transportation companies that are warm, fuzzy, family freindly places to work. Try talking to some people who work for a railroad about mandatory overtime, time spent away from home, and family/work balance.

blkmamba

you sound like one of my kids . they want everything handed to them. I was working min wage jobs for a couple years until going to truck driving school. worked 2 jobs 16 hrs a day to pay for it. my first driving job was 10 cents a mile and I worked 80 plus hrs a week for about 5 years until I could get a better job. then got better and better jobs for almost the next 10 years until an opportunity at UPS came up. was it luck? was it handed to me? it seems like the harder I work the luckier I get.

Where did u get the idea I wanted everything handed to me? Yes, if I was making more money at UPS the bs would be much harder to deal with. Did I think I deserved a higher position over everyone else, no. Honestly, you sound a little bitter about something. I went to school, got a degree, and moved on to my field of choice, where I much happier. I feel I earned my current job, it was not handed to me. With that being said, I praise you for being able to put up with the daily dose of crap UPS throws at its employees.

brownrod

The problem for us is we outgrew our building years ago. So they cant start preload because the midnight shift runs till preload starts. Twilight runs before Midnight. And there is the small fact that UPS doesnt care what you or anyone else does, ""you were hired to do a job and we pay you really good money so you will do whatever we say and work as long as we want!"

They spend billions on software like PAS, Telematics, Orion. Next they will spend a billion on a software that shows us how to run a 90% trace on Orion.
I guess this is more profitable than having newer, safe facilities that can handle the volume we run.
It's OK if I sit in my truck for 15 minutes on the clock waiting for 10 other trucks to move before I can get on road. That's fine. They'll just create a new software that'll make me 15 minutes faster!

brownrod

I've had things happen to me that most people couldn't even imagine that another human being could stoop so low and I smile everyday and thank Jesus every morning I have a way to support my family.

Good attitude. Love driving around giving boxes away. But hate the BS that goes on above that. Just try to be thankful for what I do have :) And absolutely ignore management. I think that's the key to happiness here.

JL 0513

If you think about it though, as drivers, we face very little authority in our job. We're are independent all day the vast majority of the time. How often does a sup give you crap? Not often if you just do your job properly. A sup approaches me maybe once every 2-3 weeks. A majority of people have to work all day with a boss always around.

If you think about it though, as drivers, we face very little authority in our job. We're are independent all day the vast majority of the time. How often does a sup give you crap? Not often if you just do your job properly. A sup approaches me maybe once every 2-3 weeks. A majority of people have to work all day with a boss always around.

But most people dont have to deal with Telematics!

brapkurst

If the job is so bad , why do drivers not quit? Even if your answer is simply money, then it proves that it's already better than anything else you can get. Otherwise, you'd go to the greener side of the fence.

Long hours? Sure. We're not the only ones though. I've had to work 60 hours a week since I started working 16 years ago because one job's paycheck was never enough. Now, I can finally work just one job. 46 hours a week is easy in comparison. How about doing what millions of other people do, work retail or in a restaurant. Work all weekend. Work every Holiday. All for about minimum wage.

THEY have something to complain about.

Before UPS i worked as a merchandiser for Coca-Cola. Without a doubt on par with, if not more work than a driver while getting paid 13.22 an hour or wait I think the guys make 14.50 now. And we also worked an average of 50 hours a week and EVERY WEEKEND and EVERY HOLIDAY. The most atrocious aspect of the job was dealing with the same managerial yo-yo's that are in charge at Coke, along with the salesman and also the store managers at each retail establishment. It seemed as though there were 4 chiefs for each Indian. Now the retail manager, that is a different breed of individual, and some of the most hatred i have witnessed is directed at those clowns.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Where did u get the idea I wanted everything handed to me? Yes, if I was making more money at UPS the bs would be much harder to deal with. Did I think I deserved a higher position over everyone else, no. Honestly, you sound a little bitter about something. I went to school, got a degree, and moved on to my field of choice, where I much happier. I feel I earned my current job, it was not handed to me. With that being said, I praise you for being able to put up with the daily dose of crap UPS throws at its employees.
blkmamba,

And a very big dose of crap that is I might add,

with Integrity of course.

Sincerely
I

RitchieDavies

Trollkiller

Don't worry bro, the old timers around bc (and on this site, ull always see the same users) get a little condescending when conversating with younger bc users. They all think we had everything handed to us (oh wouldnt that be nice if it were true) and that we're little whining babies. My memory is a bit foggy however, i can't seem to remember who or which generation raised us again... Do u? It's just more of the same generational warfare bull****,

UPSGUY72

It is what it is ? It's what ever you make of it just like any other job. Ask all those people that bitch and complain why don't they go find another job if it's that bad.

The job isn't that bad and no matter how great a job is someone is going to complain about something.

J

jibbs

It is what it is ? It's what ever you make of it just like any other job. Ask all those people that bitch and complain why don't they go find another job if it's that bad.

The job isn't that bad and no matter how great a job is someone is going to complain about something.

Point of interest: I like to complain about all the damn package jams the sort aisle throws my belt. It's like they think just because I have a direct line of sight I'm going to walk 200ft to fix their bull**** every minute and a half (and sometimes more often than that). I just yell JAM ON YELLOW and walk into my truck until I hear packages hitting the rollers again. Most of the sort aisle hates me but friend* them, I feel like they do that smile* on purpose.