Why is PVD Work for Part-Timers Not Good?

Thebrownblob

The company is not going to hire a permanent FT delivery driver for a few weeks of work. Look at all of the Feeder and delivery driver lay offs right now.
Sure but he was saying this was continual work and you’re perfectly fine with feeder drivers laid off while we have contractors. Pulling loads everywhere? You’re the biggest whiner on this website about the contract and yet you have no problem bending over for the company when it comes to putting your foot down. With a spineless attitude like yours we would’ve never made the money we make had the insurance we enjoy and they would’ve already gotten rid of our pension because after all, UPS is never going to do that right? When you grow a set let me know.

Last edited:
Well would the company rather pay overtime to a topped out driver, or to a part-timer?
The company would rather pay us $20/hr at top rate, and they would rather pay a naive PTer a lower rate to "help the drivers" on their long days. We have a mother :censored2:ing contract to make sure they don't get to cut corners, specifically like this, to protect FT jobs. You're dense af.

Up In Smoke

Well would the company rather pay overtime to a topped out driver, or to a part-timer?
Having someone deliver from their personal vehicle at 50% effectiveness and restricted by size and weight is cost negative. By the time someone loads their car, drives to area and starts delivering 20 stops, the RPCD would most likely be done with those same 20 stops.

ThePackageDeli

The company would rather pay us $20/hr at top rate, and they would rather pay a naive PTer a lower rate to "help the drivers" on their long days. We have a mother :censored2:ing contract to make sure they don't get to cut corners, specifically like this, to protect FT jobs. You're dense af.
I've been with the company 20 years and the workload has never gotten lighter and 90% of the workforce is not happy and wants less work. We need a pragmatic solution to the problem, not a utopian vision of more full-time jobs that obviously isn't happening.

ThePackageDeli

Having someone deliver from their personal vehicle at 50% effectiveness and restricted by size and weight is cost negative. By the time someone loads their car, drives to area and starts delivering 20 stops, the RPCD would most likely be done with those same 20 stops.
8 hour dispatch. every day. for every driver. Unless they want OT. All excess volume above 8-hour dispatch goes to the part-timers.

Cowboy Mac

8 hour dispatch. every day. for every driver. Unless they want OT. All excess volume above 8-hour dispatch goes to the part-timers.
I can tell you you’re wasting your time and energy. Unless you’re a high level UPS manager you don’t get to make those decisions on how to run this company.

So you’re here on BC trying to convince a bunch of RPCDs, veteran drivers, and retired drivers that we need PVDs year round?

Okay let’s take a poll…Who here wants PVDs year round? We can send the results to Carol!

[email protected]

JustDeliverIt

There is only one way, as I see it, to reduce OT. H&W contributions for every hour worked, not stopping at 40 hours per week. Then the only thing the company will save on is OT and no subcontracting to outside workers.

You want to complain to change to a system that I feel would benefit every UNION worker, there is your solution.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thank you this helps.

So, letting part-timers do PVD would prevent new routes from being formed, and prevent full-time positions from being created which is not a good thing, I agree.

But, what about this?...

Currently, UPS is all about putting 10lbs of poopie into a 5lb bucket and reducing the amount of package cars on road. And, I don't think the union has the ability to force UPS to create more routes. So in the meantime a lot of drivers are getting hammered and are not happy with the amount of work and hours they are forced to do. But the years go by and nothing changes...

Doesn't it seem like a good idea to help all parties involved by assisting drivers AND giving part-timers more hours at the same time? It's like 2 birds with 1 stone. It's all union employees doing union work. No outside contractors.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Not forgetting anything over 5 hours is OT for part-timers. They'd be making decent $$$ doing PVD.
Putting work in regular vehicles makes it very hard to track when it’s being done by contract or not. Maybe it’s a sup out delivery in a car they rented. Maybe it’s an off the street person. It’s a huge Pandora’s box that will without a doubt take work from union employees.

Putting work in regular vehicles makes it very hard to track when it’s being done by contract or not. Maybe it’s a sup out delivery in a car they rented. Maybe it’s an off the street person. It’s a huge Pandora’s box that will without a doubt take work from union employees.
And what happens if they get into a bad accident?

ThePackageDeli

In the same way that drivers meet each other on route to take stops, that’s how PVD’s would do it. Not too inefficient at all. And the best part… wait for it… RPCD gets to clock out an hour earlier! 🤗🥰

ThePackageDeli

Well when the majority of union employees WANT work taken from them, because they’re tired or lazy or their body hurts from getting “screwed” for weeks and months and years on end, at what point do you give the people what they want? The people want help.

Well when the majority of union employees WANT work taken from them, because they’re tired or lazy or their body hurts from getting “screwed” for weeks and months and years on end, at what point do you give the people what they want? The people want help.
Maybe put in the proper staffing?

I really can't believe you guys want to get rid of full-time jobs

SMH

Up In Smoke

In the same way that drivers meet each other on route to take stops, that’s how PVD’s would do it. Not too inefficient at all. And the best part… wait for it… RPCD gets to clock out an hour earlier! 🤗🥰
You're only seeing the issue from only one direction. The company only sees the balance of cost to revenue when employing non-union, off the street PVDs. They are subcontracting hourly work at straight time with no benefits or taxes owed. Once they have to pay overtime, SSI, workers comp and unemployment insurance, the cost to revenue model is destroyed. The company only cares about cost, cost and cost.

I don’t want to get rid of any full-time jobs. I just want to make existing full-time jobs easier while we wait the rest of our careers for the company to put in proper staffing.
Then the company needs to make more full-time jobs.

It's sad everybody is willing to give up rights and they don't have balls like we did in 1997 when we got 10,000 new full-time jobs out of that contract.

ThePackageDeli

You're only seeing the issue from only one direction. The company only sees the balance of cost to revenue when employing non-union, off the street PVDs. They are subcontracting hourly work at straight time with no benefits or taxes owed. Once they have to pay overtime, SSI, workers comp and unemployment insurance, the cost to revenue model is destroyed. The company only cares about cost, cost and cost.
You're saying it's more beneficial for UPS to hire outsiders for PVD than to let union employees do PVD. I agree. But, that doesn't mean our union can't negotiate the creation of union PVD jobs.