Why is PVD Work for Part-Timers Not Good?

FYI - PVD doesn't stand for "Perpetual Veneral Disease"
When I first started loading trucks at 2 am and this company actually gave a crap about service.

They would ask us if we wanted to drive out personal vehicles to the airport to pick up line flights .
Instead of making $8 and hour I got paid.$10 an hour.to do that plus mileage
Some days I made an extra $50-60 a day to take care of a couple of packages.

That helped out a bit before I went driving

ThePackageDeli

My thoughts? Don't be so short-sighted.

Drivers don't need PTers to help, they need more drivers. You need to understand the concept of precedent; if it's okay for UPS to do that now, why wouldn't it be okay forever? The precedent would be set. The longer they don't have to address the real issue, the longer they'll take to do it.

Idk where you are, but here and many other places, PTers don't get OT until after 8 hours. Also, your supplement may have language that may very well force UPS to put in routes. Being diligent with 9.5 grievances will force the district labor manager and the union to figure out the problem, they have to address it after four occurrences for any one driver as per Art 37.

Your solution undermines the process and :censored2:s your brothers and sisters in the long run. This is the same type of :censored2: @PT Car Washer has done for years and somehow can't comprehend how it affects anyone else. It's a flawed system and it affects future FT jobs in the long run.

I understand. Thanks for your reply.

I'll admit, I'm not thinking about it in terms of the long run and setting a precedent. I just see the part-timer PVD option as something that would help now and make a lot of people happy right now in the present while we wait and wait and wait week after week after month after year for UPS to add routes. I'm also a huge proponent of optional overtime. I don't want more than 8 hours a day. And it seems like a form of corporate slavery to mandate OT.

I'll admit, I'm not thinking about it in terms of the long run and setting a precedent. I just see the part-timer PVD option as something that would help now and make a lot of people happy right now in the present while we wait and wait and wait week after week after month after year for UPS to add routes. I'm also a huge proponent of optional overtime. I don't want more than 8 hours a day. And it seems like a form of corporate slavery to mandate OT.
Totally agree and I get it. We just have to look ahead and make sure our solutions aren't just more problems.

DriverNerd

I'll admit, I'm not thinking about it in terms of the long run and setting a precedent. I just see the part-timer PVD option as something that would help now and make a lot of people happy right now in the present while we wait and wait and wait week after week after month after year for UPS to add routes.
Do you not see the fallacy in your argument? By aiding UPS with extra, cheaper part time work now there would be no need to "wait and wait week after week" because you would be preventing those new driver jobs from having to be created.

Steamer

Thank you this helps.

So, letting part-timers do PVD would prevent new routes from being formed, and prevent full-time positions from being created which is not a good thing, I agree.

But, what about this?...

Currently, UPS is all about putting 10lbs of poopie into a 5lb bucket and reducing the amount of package cars on road. And, I don't think the union has the ability to force UPS to create more routes. So in the meantime a lot of drivers are getting hammered and are not happy with the amount of work and hours they are forced to do. But the years go by and nothing changes...

Doesn't it seem like a good idea to help all parties involved by assisting drivers AND giving part-timers more hours at the same time? It's like 2 birds with 1 stone. It's all union employees doing union work. No outside contractors.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Not forgetting anything over 5 hours is OT for part-timers. They'd be making decent $$$ doing PVD.
You sound like a supervisor incognito on Brown Café. A positive reinforcing spin to win the hearts. Then the hammer to break the soul without some people catching on. Comparison fallacies and trying to get everyone on that bandwagon. Hmmm.

ThePackageDeli

You sound like a supervisor incognito on Brown Café. A positive reinforcing spin to win the hearts. Then the hammer to break the soul without some people catching on. Comparison fallacies and trying to get everyone on that bandwagon. Hmmm.
You may be thinking too far into it. I'm just someone who sees a solution that would provide short term benefit, without considering the long term consequences.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
You may be thinking too far into it. I'm just someone who sees a solution that would provide short term benefit, without considering the long term consequences.
But, in a career that could last several decades you don't want to play the "short game". Additionally, in regards to how long it takes UPS to add routes, I find the excuses meritless. During peak season there seems to be no trouble carving up established routes to server their purpose.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
because no one should be using their personal vehicle. the whole gig economy driver job market is based on the fact that people discount their operating costs when calculating how much they earn.

Up In Smoke

Isn't this one of the big issues that we struck for in '97. Part time employees working greater than 32 hours with no full time wages and benefits. Why open the door and allow the company to carve out a third tier full time position.

ThePackageDeli

Isn't this one of the big issues that we struck for in '97. Part time employees working greater than 32 hours with no full time wages and benefits. Why open the door and allow the company to carve out a third tier full time position.
My proposal is completely optional. The extra work would be there for those who want it, period. And part time employees who have been with the company for a good while would make more per hour than starting driver pay.

Up In Smoke

My proposal is completely optional. The extra work would be there for those who want it, period. And part time employees who have been with the company for a good while would make more per hour than starting driver pay.
Under your assumptions why would the company even consider this. To pay a part time employee a higher wage, benefits, comp, unemployment and vehicle charges to complete 30% of what a regular route driver could accomplish seems cost negative. The appeal of off the street PVDs is they are subcontractors with no additional charges other than labor and mileage.

Thebrownblob

The flaw in your proposal is if the extra work is there, it should be turned into a permanent job for a full-time driver.

ThePackageDeli

And for the record if UPS or any other company CAN reduce it's labor cost they have an obligation to. I hope UPS eliminates RPCD's, offers them a buy-out, and contracts everything out to the lowest bidder. Forget this job.

Thebrownblob

And for the record if UPS or any other company CAN reduce it's labor cost they have an obligation to. I hope UPS eliminates RPCD's, offers them a buy-out, and contracts everything out to the lowest bidder. Forget this job.
OK well it’s been nice talking to you, now go back to your mom’s basement😂

ThePackageDeli

The flaw in your proposal is if the extra work is there, it should be turned into a permanent job for a full-time driver.
I'm kidding. But when it comes to turning the extra work into a full-time job, we're talking about 15 or 20 stops off of a driver. That's not enough to create a full-time position. But it's just enough to make a driver's day more pleasant.

Up In Smoke

I'm kidding. But when it comes to turning the extra work into a full-time job, we're talking about 15 or 20 stops off of a driver. That's not enough to create a full-time position. But it's just enough to make a driver's day more pleasant.
Cost negative for the company. There's a reason they pay overtime instead of adding employees. Cost, cost and cost.