Why shouldn't we strike?

finaddict

I read the first three pages and then jumped to the last. I've got 29 years in the game. #1, you are labor. Simple labor. If you get along with your customers and they think you are awesome, fantastic. You are what used to make this company great. The Teamsters managed our retirement just as well as Social Security managed "your" retirement account. As a feeder driver my total compensation 2016 was $142,000. Great pay, great benefits, :censored2:ty pension, but at least I have one. Not the company's fault but the unions. How much public support will we get for another "Unfair labor practices" strike? We lost a :censored2:load of business that no longer had confidence in us in '97. A lot never came back. Keep what we have, protect our interests by limiting/stopping subcontracting. Take care of the PT'ers, preserve our Health care and do not extend progression. A cost of living allowance or fair wage progression will keep (most) everyone happy and keep us secure for another 4-6 years. You can buy stock at a 10% discount so you've already got a little jingle down the road plus quarterly dividends. Think for yourself and your future, we need the younger teamster's to carry our asses thru our Ponzy scheme of a pension.

rod

Retired 22 years
I read the first three pages and then jumped to the last. I've got 29 years in the game. #1, you are labor. Simple labor. If you get along with your customers and they think you are awesome, fantastic. You are what used to make this company great. The Teamsters managed our retirement just as well as Social Security managed "your" retirement account. As a feeder driver my total compensation 2016 was $142,000. Great pay, great benefits, :censored2:ty pension, but at least I have one. Not the company's fault but the unions. How much public support will we get for another "Unfair labor practices" strike? We lost a :censored2:load of business that no longer had confidence in us in '97. A lot never came back. Keep what we have, protect our interests by limiting/stopping subcontracting. Take care of the PT'ers, preserve our Health care and do not extend progression. A cost of living allowance or fair wage progression will keep (most) everyone happy and keep us secure for another 4-6 years. You can buy stock at a 10% discount so you've already got a little jingle down the road plus quarterly dividends. Think for yourself and your future, we need the younger teamster's to carry our asses thru our Ponzy scheme of a pension.

If you are looking for the younger crowd to carry you---------good luck. dream on. They will sell out your pension for a Tootsie-pop.

rod

Retired 22 years

No one gives a crap about the 97 strike. The basic shippers (UPS, FedEx and the USPS) are still the only ones in the game and with all the internet sales now NONE of them will go out of business if UPS workers strike. It would be just like the last 2 strikes. Everyone panics, shipments get back up and after the strike within a few weeks things would be back to just about normal. Its like when Trump won and all of Hollywood was going to move to Canada. Lots of idle threats. I can guarantee one thing---if everyone is willing to just roll over and play dead you won't get jack .... and be real lucky to keep half of what others have fought for.

fedx

Extra Large Package
A strike today wouldn't be supported by the public as it was 20 yrs ago , your getting paid health care, a pension , and 34 an hour to drive a truck !
Plus it would be hard to gain public sympathy when the average package car driver makes around $80K a year. Average Joe citizens would be like, "Yeah, go on strike! Down with UPS under paying their workers.....wait what? They make $80,000/yr on average? That's twice as much as I make and I don't get to go on strike."

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We weren't included in the over 70 strike but I remember hearing about it. Our Local did call a one day strike in the 70's because the company was refusing to honor their life insurance policy for a part timer who died hanging himself while choking his chicken.. (its seems funny but it isn't)
Sad ,,, the Boston and Chelmsford buildings walked out , butsome of the other buildings in Massachusetts worked , the Empire accused us of an uncalled for wildcat and wanted to fire all local 25 people , worked it out and we came back following day ,, lot of good that did ,,,lol

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Amazon was only using the post office (book rate) in '97.
I think we had Amazon back then , they were just shipping books and cd's back then , their competition I believe was cd.com or something like that, Amazon was not a giant like today !!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Excellent post.

I think you are right about the public not supporting another strike. even though the economy is going well , UPS would make public that most drivers are making over 100k in wages and bennies. In 1997 they told the public that we were making 50k and that surprised a lot of people. customers were asking me if that was true.

also , i think we lost that 97 strike. a lot of business went away. I was laid off a lot and went from feeder to back into the building a couple days a week when things got real slow after the holidays. being on call sucked.

last thing. there is a lot more competition now compared to 97. all the other companies will be ready if Teamsters strike. I bet they have a plan in place in case that happens. Especially Bezo.

I think we had Amazon back then , they were just shipping books and cd's back then , their competition I believe was cd.com or something like that, Amazon was not a giant like today !!
No, I submitted many sales leads at that time. Bezos told me we couldn't compete with the po rates at that time.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As a feeder driver my total compensation 2016 was $142,000. Great pay, great benefits, :censored2:ty pension, but at least I have one. Not the company's fault but the unions.

How is it the Unions' fault, you have a self described :censored2:y pension ?

And the company, was so much better at running the management pension plan ?

Isn't the management plan underfunded by 10 billion dollars ?

What Teamster plan are you in ?

-Bug-