Why shouldn't we strike?

PT Car Washer

If we go on strike? We have about two or three non-union. So say we're on strike do those three have to go to work?
I would not think they could be forced because they are still in a bargaining unit position. We had several package car drivers cross in 1997 but no PT crossed. Not even preseniority who were all let go after the strike.

rocket man

You're only thinking about work stress. If you only make $10-12/hr your concerned about putting food on the table, making your mortgage payment, buying clothes for your kids etc. So tell me, would you rather have a stressful day at work and head home knowing you're financially secure? Or would you rather have a low stress job but when you head home you don't know if you'll have enough money to buy dinner. The answer is clear if you ask me.

Edit. So what I'm saying is be grateful, not greedy. We make 80k+ to drive a damn truck. If we have issues with the company it certainly shouldn't be about pay. If anything I would like shorter days. I'll take a 10k pay cut if I could be headed home around 6-6:30 everyday.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We weren't included in the over 70 strike but I remember hearing about it. Our Local did call a one day strike in the 70's because the company was refusing to honor their life insurance policy for a part timer who died hanging himself while choking his chicken.. (its seems funny but it isn't)
Was he well hung?:rolleyes:

Indecisi0n

You're only thinking about work stress. If you only make $10-12/hr your concerned about putting food on the table, making your mortgage payment, buying clothes for your kids etc. So tell me, would you rather have a stressful day at work and head home knowing you're financially secure? Or would you rather have a low stress job but when you head home you don't know if you'll have enough money to buy dinner. The answer is clear if you ask me.

Edit. So what I'm saying is be grateful, not greedy. We make 80k+ to drive a damn truck. If we have issues with the company it certainly shouldn't be about pay. If anything I would like shorter days. I'll take a 10k pay cut if I could be headed home around 6-6:30 everyday.
You know and I know shorter work days aren't in the cards for us. So how else would you like us to be compensated for missing our kids grow up?

Star B

White Lightening
During the last strike Fedex was not able to handle the increase in volume. Now, with Fedex Ground, Home Delivery, Fedex Freight and Express ( who could easily handle the extra volume)

Ahem... hahahhahahah... really? Nah, we wouldn't be able to handle your volume and ours. We can barely handle our own. Ground/HD couldn't absorb it because they would have to deal with the contractors and do you think the contractors would buy more equipment for two weeks? Nope! Roll the freight! Express would just rent vans and start the Peak plan early and try to deal with it.

FedEx would continue to deliver, but it would be a total disorganized mess. 24 hour sorts, rolled freight left and right.

I'd say I'd walk the line but by the time I got out of work it would be like, 2000.

anHOURover

Because Fedex would eat your lunch that's why. During the last strike Fedex was not able to handle the increase in volume. Now, with Fedex Ground, Home Delivery, Fedex Freight and Express ( who could easily handle the extra volume) they would take business from you that you would never get back, that's why! Dumbest thing you could EVER do!
I'm willing to prove you wrong. Fred ex could not "easily handle the extra volume"
FACT

anHOURover

Plus it would be hard to gain public sympathy when the average package car driver makes around $80K a year. Average Joe citizens would be like, "Yeah, go on strike! Down with UPS under paying their workers.....wait what? They make $80,000/yr on average? That's twice as much as I make and I don't get to go on strike."
You act live 80k for what we do is frat money.
9 out of 10 average Americans can't do what we do ! FACT

CoryAndTrevor

IMO this wasn't true as I started at $9 (preload) when the jobs I left to take it were paying $4.25 and one paid $5 (which was considered really good) and that was about typical of the market and we pretty much had the same turnover back then as we did now.

That's exactly the problem-- preload used to pay 9 when other jobs payed only half that, now those other jobs pay 9 and preload pays 10 or 11. 100 percent increase vs. 10 or 20 percent.

And if turnover is the same, that's because back then people would leave part time jobs to go to school, using money they made at that job. Now they're just stuck with whatever job they can get. Although I will say UPS paying three grand a semester for PTers wanting to go to school is pretty great. But the point still stands.

Star B

White Lightening
Let's put it this way. FedEx ground is expanding faster than we are.
That's why I see three U boats of UPS ground to the three packages of FXG at most of my pack'n'ships that charge for a UPS dropoff.

it's only expanding faster because it has the cash to burn because they don't have to pay the legacy expenses that UPS has.

I still don't understand why we don't have the ARS volume yet...

That's why I see three U boats of UPS ground to the three packages of FXG at most of my pack'n'ships that charge for a UPS dropoff.

it's only expanding faster because it has the cash to burn because they don't have to pay the legacy expenses that UPS has.

I still don't understand why we don't have the ARS volume yet...
Probably because that can't rely on you guys to pick them up.