Will feeder drivers vote to strike on pkg/pt issues?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
They need to vote NO on crappy contracts that leave them behind.
It’s still a brotherhood. Many new guys have never been in a union before. They don’t know how any of this works.

It’s everyone’s job to help them, and try to show them the ropes. Including helping explain to them how important voting is.

Thebrownblob

It’s still a brotherhood. Many new guys have never been in a union before. They don’t know how any of this works.

It’s everyone’s job to help them, and try to show them the ropes. Including helping explain to them how important voting is.
Without some of the higher seniority guys and even just some of the random union members from other companies at the union hall explaining to me importance of all this I would’ve never understood myself.

Thebrownblob

??????????? Last couple times would put them at less than $20/hr. Newest starting MRA rate is $19/hr in my Local.
Exactly and an MRA is not a guarantee we will be going for the guarantee and more. Don’t be a negative Nelly until you have a reason to be. Give the new crew that respect. Plenty of time to throw stones if necessary.

PT Car Washer

Without some of the higher seniority guys and even just some of the random union members from other companies at the union hall explaining to me importance of all this I would’ve never understood myself.
The Union and the FT members do not want the PT members to be involved. It dilutes their influence.

wrecker

Every time the contract expires, I talk with part timers in my building and try to convince them to read the proposal and cast a vote on it. Never had much success, none of them ever seems to care about it. Not even long time part timers.

I’m not putting my livelihood on the line for someone that doesn’t care.

PT Car Washer

Exactly and an MRA is not a guarantee we will be going for the guarantee and more. Don’t be a negative Nelly until you have a reason to be. Give the new crew that respect. Plenty of time to throw stones if necessary.
40 years of concessions will do that to you. We also have a Local election coming up with a slate of younger members promising to not bow down to management. I'll give them my support.

Thebrownblob

40 years of concessions will do that to you. We also have a Local election coming up with a slate of younger members promising to not bow down to management. I'll give them my support.
Fair enough and I think you should give them a shot if you’re unhappy with your current leadership for legitimate reasons. I get the 40 year thing but hope Springs eternal with a new leadership and direction.

PT Car Washer

Every time the contract expires, I talk with part timers in my building and try to convince them to read the proposal and cast a vote on it. Never had much success, none of them ever seems to care about it. Not even long time part timers.

Not surprising when the starting PT rate did not change for 25 years. And then only went up $.50. McDonalds pays more for PT labor.

The Range

In too deep

Your anecdotal experience is not accurate according to my anecdotal experience. In general, young people do not vote and do not care about things that affect them. This is often the first job for many people. The union (you and me) does a piss poor job of informing. So poor I think it's intentional. In my experience, vested PTers do care and are also highly disgruntled. The problem is, that the PT demographics hold those of us who do care as hostages. Last contract vote shenanigans won't encourage future turnout. Personally, I am prepared to bring everything down if you don't get what you want, and I don't get what I want in this next contract. I think it's high time to put aside the in-fighting and stick it to the company.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

Not surprising when the starting PT rate did not change for 25 years. And then only went up $.50. McDonalds pays more for PT labor.
I’m not sure I understand the $.50? Are you talking about during the life of the contract because I believe start pay was $11 an hour at the end of the last contract for part-timers. At that time it was the fight for $15 which they did get, although I agree it was not enough.

Thebrownblob

Your anecdotal experience is not accurate according to my anecdotal experience. In general, young people do not vote and do not care about things that affect them. This is often the first job for many people. The union (you and me) does a piss poor job of informing. So poor I think it's intentional. In my experience, vested PTers do care and are also highly disgruntled. The problem is, that the PT demographics hold those of us who do care as hostages.
Well they can’t hold you hostage anymore the 50% rule is gone.

PT Car Washer

Fair enough and I think you should give them a shot if you’re unhappy with your current leadership for legitimate reasons. I get the 40 year thing but hope Springs eternal with a new leadership and direction.
How's that song go? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Unlike 99% of PT members I am red circle which means I make the same hourly rate as the FT I work with and more then 22.3. Most new members don't believe me.

PT Car Washer

I’m not sure I understand the $.50? Are you talking about during the life of the contract because I believe start pay was $11 an hour at the end of the last contract for part-timers. At that time it was the fight for $15 which they did get, although I agree it was not enough.
When the starting rate was $8/hr and went to $8.50 after the strike. There also wasn't a progression until I don't remember. Which means new hires got the general wage increases every year.