Working Christmas Day 2019

onewithedd

I’d love to make all the top executives, board members and Orion team developers and implementors be sent to the northern states and forced to run Orion in a bricked out truck on Christmas Day and tell those idiots “you created the problems, deal with it! It’s the perfect system! You say”

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
Just remember. Not all ups is equal. Air ramp personnel get paid at straight time if a forced holiday falls on a normally scheduled day. I've seen DT twice in a 7 year span.

true that. worked last new years eve for a 4 hour shift i was assuming would be double time and ended up being straight time for inside "support" employees during an "air only" operation. meanwhile drivers got double time + holiday. we grieved it and lost.

MattM

true that. worked last new years eve for a 4 hour shift i was assuming would be double time and ended up being straight time for inside "support" employees during an "air only" operation. meanwhile drivers got double time + holiday. we grieved it and lost.
This year's been the worst for working holidays. 4th of July was worked. Thanksgiving day was worked. Both voluntary. But they're getting brave asking.

I worked July 4th and had a hell of a run-around in regards to extra pay. So when those calls to work Thanksgiving came, I wasn't around my cell phone.

This year they have us working 12 straight days leading up to Christmas. Extra pay should be there somewhere.

Then there's 50 different stories from 50 different workers who believe they know what's best or what's in the contract. Everyone learned the hard way working Thanksgiving morning. I told them to not expect extra pay.

Now 60% of our workforce is brand new, And they don't get paid time off. So it's interesting seeing their reaction when they work a holiday AND only get straight time.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Am I missing something? How can they have you work 12 straight days to Christmas?

If you're a driver, you don't have to have a 34 hour reset to keep working. The 34 hour reset just resets your hours available back to 60 or 70, depending on your location.

If your under the 70 hour rule, you could work 8.75 hours per day, seven days a week forever without ever needing a 34 hour reset.

If you're not a driver, you are not subject to DOT HOS, meaning you could theoretically work for 24 hours a day, seven days a week, forever. I know, when do you sleep? When you're dead???

Ok I see... air operations.... not restricted by DOT.

Air operations are restricted by DOT.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Correct.

Article 40 of the Master supersedes language in the Supplements.

Under Article 40 Section 1 (j), support air employees are paid straight time. Package drivers working are paid the Supplemental rate, which is usually time and a half, or double time, depending on the Supplement language.

Then there's 50 different stories from 50 different workers who believe they know what's best or what's in the contract.

Working a Holiday has clearly defined language under Article 40 of the Master. Ignore those "stories."

Everyone learned the hard way working Thanksgiving morning. I told them to not expect extra pay.

Unless you're a package car driver, and your Supplement states additional Holiday pay. It varies by Supplement.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I would never be the driver trying to deliver peoples gift packages on Christmas Day and take the crap from the whole family why it didnt come on time. Some may be glad but not all would be very congenial. Some media reports say some packages are about a week delayed even though they're in the building in their area.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Simply pointing out we have no idea when he was born. Dec 25th was chosen by romans to coincide with pagan celebrations and the winter solstice.
Screenshot_20191215-193050_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191215-193148_Chrome.jpg

It really doesnt matter to most folks. Christmas is a time to celebrate family, share gifts, and to those who believe in Jesus's birth, death and what those mean it's a time of thankfulness.