Working during Break - a Proposal

Returntosender

IMG_2516.jpg

rickyb

I work Preload. Many of the new hires and old timers work during break which breaches the contract. Them working during break means we get hit with a hundred of smalls/packages as soon as break ends; causing misloads and blow-bys which I've gotten written up for. Our union stewards are useless, apparently our hub paid off the local.

My proposal; if someone works during break or otherwise violates the contract -- we kick them out of the union. Although it may seem minor, working through break undermines our union, makes everything harder for everyone, and allows the company to take advantage of us. It goes against the concept of unions. Why even have a union if we allow this? We need to enact counter-measures that bypass everything else if this union is worth anything.

And that includes drivers. Many of you are working during lunch and sorting your truck an hour before start time. That isn't right, it goes against everything a union stands for. If we all don't stand our ground this profit machine takes advantage of us. You have to draw a hard line and place checks-and-balances. And even if the union is bull:censored2:, as it seems to be, we can change that.

You guys wonder why Hoffa was elected. Well did any of you bother to do something for part-timers? It's a miserable job and miserable people don't vote.
this may be against what unions stand for, but its what capitalism is all about!

I just Google searched the city and state my center is in. Just put "city, state teamsters union hall". When you call you should ask if you have the right place of course. It might be with hiring materials. I was sent a copy of the contract and a business card and whole shebang two weeks after starting.

extranatty

Well, my doctor put me on new anti-misload medication (Ritalin) and I had a psychosis resulting in this thread among others. Don't really want to read the damage. After a few days of avoidance and regret, I apologize for whatever I said. I even wrote on the walls in the apartment here; "Go to Arizona" in some creepy handwriting. Apparently, Ritalin is very similar to cocaine. I don't know why anyone would ever pay for cocaine, it's horrible.

I'll keep the picture of Ben Garrison as a reminder. I recommend that Sir Monkey Butt delete whatever the other thread was.

Last edited:

Box Ox

I had a psychotic break resulting in this thread among others. Don't really want to read the damage. After a few days of avoidance and regret, I apologize for whatever I said.

You kidding? You're a controversial online character (rightly so) but an interesting one too. Breaks up the stream of "kids these days!" posts from the grumpy old retired guys.

extranatty

You kidding? You're a controversial online character (rightly so) but an interesting one too. Breaks up the stream of "kids these days!" posts from the grumpy old retired guys.

Thanks. I'm glad my tirade served a positive purpose. I'm also impressed that I wasn't banned; this must be a great community moderated by reasonable people. Very rare. Yet, UPS drivers tend to be great people, so not to be unexpected.

I'm just frustrated on many levels with how things are. Maybe it is time to be aggressive and talk to the union hall about the state of our union stewards. One hasn't shown up to work in 2 months.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
So you don't have more seniority than a new hire, but are versed in contractual language and are purposing we kick these people out of the Union?.....

......to what end?

I was going to suggest that you file for the time anybody junior than you who worked while on break.
As stupid as this thread has got im still interested to hear how you wrote that grievance up and article used. Right now i just give them a shame on you spill... and i tell new hires they can be fired for working on break. Id love to force management to put a stop to it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As stupid as this thread has got im still interested to hear how you wrote that grievance up and article used. Right now i just give them a shame on you spill... and i tell new hires they can be fired for working on break. Id love to force management to put a stop to it.
Two fold.

First, Art 17 of the Master says:

The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.

Secondly, whatever language in your area that references "extra work".
In my Local it is addressed in the Regional Supplement, as well as our Local Seniority Application.

Make sure that your claim asks for you to be paid, as well as for the Company to abide by Art 17.

Any subsequent grievances after the Company acquiesce, or are instructed by a panel, to abide by Article 17 can also include the grievance machinery of your Local or Regional Supplements, as well as Labor Charges.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Two fold.
Maybe im just tired but could you break down your last paragraph for me. lol
Thanks for that info. I've never really noticed it said will not allow. That wording will make a big difference. Im not a union thug per se... well according to me anyhow but with the high turnover rate it seems to be a constant battle. Im excited to file now. lol

22.34life

As far as I know their is no language that's says a p/t employee can't work during break so long as they are not forced and are payed plus 10 minutes.the ops proposal is ludicrous.