Working vacation.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Why does anyone else care whether the guy works his vacation. I don't work mine either, but if he wants to, go for it. As said before, you get paid your hourly rate and overtime just like any other week.

Because I wanted that week off to take my family on vacation. And I couldn't get it because he closed that week out. That's fine, seniority.

But now that jackass has decided that he's not going to take that week off. He's going to work.

You know how bad I wanted that week off, and now he's not even going to take it, but he closed me out of it.

While this case is an exception, he seems to be in a vacation bracket all by himself, it's usually somebody that closed out a week to Junior employees and then doesn't take that week off.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
what if that driver that would have been covering his route actually wants a week-long lay off? Sometimes we all need a break. I’m in central too everyone is hurting.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why does anyone else care whether the guy works his vacation. I don't work mine either, but if he wants to, go for it. As said before, you get paid your hourly rate and overtime just like any other week.
Because other people's jobs are predicated on covering paid time off for seniority employees.
The contract is very specific in these vacations worked be limited to certain scenarios and scheduled during the selection period.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Because other people's jobs are predicated on covering paid time off for seniority employees.
The contract is very specific in these vacations worked be limited to certain scenarios and scheduled during the selection period.

One of my pet peeves, are people that exercise their seniority whenever they have a chance....

and then work scheduled vacations, not realizing or caring, they screwed their fellow Teamster brother/sister.

-Bug-

Because I wanted that week off to take my family on vacation. And I couldn't get it because he closed that week out. That's fine, seniority.

But now that jackass has decided that he's not going to take that week off. He's going to work.

You know how bad I wanted that week off, and now he's not even going to take it, but he closed me out of it.

While this case is an exception, he seems to be in a vacation bracket all by himself, it's usually somebody that closed out a week to Junior employees and then doesn't take that week off.
When a driver bids a week off and wants to work, he loses his seniority that week and goes to bottom of seniority list and must do any route available. He doesnt get to do his bid route

What'dyabringmetoday???

Seems the "Upstate NY" members would have (had) a grasp on how their pension was failing.

$5500.00 a month.... after 30 years ?

Off the street feeder drivers, never do anything except bitch.

Lol

-Bug-
Yes- it's always the members. No- not off the street pussgut. You make many assumptions- mostly wrong. Are the buffets safe now? Stop pretending that you are a big deal. Well- I imagine you are big. Lol.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Seems the "Upstate NY" members would have (had) a grasp on how their pension was failing.

$5500.00 a month.... after 30 years ?

Off the street feeder drivers, never do anything except bitch.

Lol

-Bug-
The "elected leaders" are to blame for the fund. IF you are supposedly still "working" and supposedly have more than forty years, what's your excuse? Oh right- your just helping the membership. (Except for the UPSers that you hate). You can be anybody that you want to be on the internet...

rod

Retired 22 years
And if I was working On my vacation while someone is sitting at home I’d be furious with myself and management. But nobody else in my center can drive semi to do the things that need to be done they need 4 people to cover my route. 4 people we can’t spare right now lol we all been working 6 days for months
Do what you want to but NEVER think you can't be replaced. It's been proven thousands of times that anyone can be. Five minutes after you walk out the door someone would have stepped up to the plate and maybe they wouldn't be as "expert" as you are right off the bat but within a week or two nobody will remember your name. That's life.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
When a driver bids a week off and wants to work, he loses his seniority that week and goes to bottom of seniority list and must do any route available. He doesnt get to do his bid route

That depends on Supplement and Local.

But it's also irrelevant to some jackass closing out a week to junior employees, then deciding to not take that week off and work.

DRporch

Now this I can understand and relate too

barnyard

KTM rider
This year, the union allowed the company to ask drivers if they wanted to 'bank' their vacations in case they had to take time off for covid. Many drivers in my center 'banked' 2 weeks. Vacations were not rebid. Since the 'bank' list went around, I have not heard of bosses asking drivers to work their vacations.

JJinVA

Ive been told that you are in a position to negotiate when youre on vacation. Some of the drivers at my center will go in and work for their regular wage, and others will say, "how bad do you need me? Are you willing to pay me 1.5 time?", and then they will call back in about 5 minutes and say, "ok come on in we will pay you 1.5 time", if they really need you. So its a win-win. If they dont need you, you get your time off, if they do need you, you get 1.5 time plus what they already paid you out for.

UPSER1987

One of my pet peeves, are people that exercise their seniority whenever they have a chance....

and then work scheduled vacations, not realizing or caring, they screwed their fellow Teamster brother/sister.

-Bug-

UPS does what it wants and there’s nothing you or anyone else is going to do about it.
You can take your peeves and shove it lol