Workplace Violence between hourlies

bplppl

Ive seen posts about workplace violence between management and hourlies but what about between two hourlies? What is the procedure that management must follow when workplace violence has been reported?

HomeDelivery

here, i googled it for ya!

Calls to the 1-800 # go to a third party vendor, who inputs the information, sends it to Corporate Compliance, who assigns the concerns to region & district H.R. The district investigates the concern, not Corporate. Districts are closer to the situation and are better able to address the employee's concern. Occasionally Corporate will investigate or address the concern, but those instances are rare. Districts have 14 business days to address the concern, try to reach resolution and then send in their report to Corporate to close the concern. The Retaliation policy is reviewed with the caller and with everyone identified in the concern.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/employee-hotline-number-47092/index2.html#ixzz2l1hJ3Dlg

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've seen two hourlies go at it...shoving and swinging....both were walked out of the building...and later suspended for a week or two. The actual procedure? I'm not sure, talk to your steward.

bplppl

UPS code of conduct states that if you here, whitness, or are involved in workplace violence (and in this case i am speaking about verbal threats) that you are obligated to immediately report it to your supervisor. If you cannot or do not want to report it to your supervisor you can call the helpline. Once the hourly has reported it then what? They are not responsible for following up to see that management did their job. Are management required to call the 1800 number once it has been reported to them?

J

jibbs

Nothing happens unless management witnesses it personally. I had a nice little kirk out last year after a co-worker told our sometimes-there-most-of-the-time-elsewhere supervisor "I'm gonna **** that white boy up" in reference to me. I stopped working, told the supe I want to file a report concerning racism and verbal threats. "Stop crying like a bitch" I was told. I took the advice and the next Verizon box that came down the belt I lobbed next to his head. He went to get the supe, couldn't find him and came back. I repeated the throw with a similiarly-sized package on the belt.

Fast forward to me sitting in an office waiting to get dealt with by management. I told them full-on what happened, emphasizing that I and the other person involved brought it to the supervisor's attention and the only response I got was to stop crying like a little bitch, so I took the advice and manned up. I get sent to the sort aisle for the day and never hear of the issue again, but apparently the PT supervisor who I initially spoke with got chewed the **** out and then had to handle the split and load the two trucks that he pulled me off of.

So yeah, in my experience, workplace violence can solve problems pretty efficiently in a pinch if you keep it in a grey area. Your mileage may vary with that one, though...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Nothing happens unless management witnesses it personally. I had a nice little kirk out last year after a co-worker told our sometimes-there-most-of-the-time-elsewhere supervisor "I'm gonna **** that white boy up" in reference to me. I stopped working, told the supe I want to file a report concerning racism and verbal threats. "Stop crying like a bitch" I was told. I took the advice and the next Verizon box that came down the belt I lobbed next to his head. He went to get the supe, couldn't find him and came back. I repeated the throw with a similiarly-sized package on the belt.

Fast forward to me sitting in an office waiting to get dealt with by management. I told them full-on what happened, emphasizing that I and the other person involved brought it to the supervisor's attention and the only response I got was to stop crying like a little bitch, so I took the advice and manned up. I get sent to the sort aisle for the day and never hear of the issue again, but apparently the PT supervisor who I initially spoke with got chewed the **** out and then had to handle the split and load the two trucks that he pulled me off of.

So yeah, in my experience, workplace violence can solve problems pretty efficiently in a pinch if you keep it in a grey area. Your mileage may vary with that one, though...
i'm confused....You threws boxes in his general direction...or you threw a box and it hit him?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It all depends on the level of violence. If it's just two guys yelling at one another you tell them to knock it off and get back to work. If it escalates to physical violence then you walk them both out and, depending upon how physical it was, send them home for the day or walk them off the property permanently.

J

jibbs

i'm confused....You threws boxes in his general direction...or you threw a box and it hit him?

Technically, in his general direction. In actuality, I threw them inches from his head and they were pretty loud hitting the back door of the truck he was standing in front of. In all fairness, if he would've moved or flinched at all there was a damn good chance of his face getting smashed with the things.

These are the things that happen when people insist on sorting totes that come down the belt by chucking smalls right by my head and into my truck after I repeatedly tell them not to. Then I hear someone say they're gonna **** that white boy up, and I'm the only white guy in a 300yd radius? Lol, nahhhhhhh.... things don't go so smoothly after that.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Technically, in his general direction. In actuality, I threw them inches from his head and they were pretty loud hitting the back door of the truck he was standing in front of. In all fairness, if he would've moved or flinched at all there was a damn good chance of his face getting smashed with the things.

These are the things that happen when people insist on sorting totes that come down the belt by chucking smalls right by my head and into my truck after I repeatedly tell them not to. Then I hear someone say they're gonna **** that white boy up, and I'm the only white guy in a 300yd radius? Lol, nahhhhhhh.... things don't go so smoothly after that.
Well, if they had hit him, there's a damn good chance you'd have been fired. If you had an issue with the sorter....take it up with your center manager. When the sorter "threatened" you in a roundabout way..you should have gotten your steward, or stopped being a vagina and just load your trucks. Most of us have thrown packages out of frustration....but not at someone. It is what it is, but then you post it on here like violence worked out for you. You got lucky...that's all.

Last edited:

bplppl

Well, I did what I thought I was supposed to do. Reported it and even followed up to make sure it was documented. It happened twice and the first time i just let it go. Management told me they put it in his file but I know its BS. All they did was tell the guy to chill. I want to make sure its documented so if it happens again, I'm covered, if management retaliates for me reporting, I'm covered. I didnt retaliate to his threats or make any of my own. I guess if it happens again I will have to take the package chucking approach.

J

jibbs

Well, if they had hit him, there's a damn good chance you'd have been fired. If you had an issue with the sorter....take it up with your center manager. When the sorter "threatened" you in a roundabout way..you should have gotten your steward, or stopped being a vagina and just load your trucks. Most of us have thrown packages out of frustration....but not at someone. It is what it is, but then you post it on here like violence worked out for you. You got lucky...that's all.

Whoa there! Never asked for advice on that one, sweetheart, I appreciate your... concern? No it didn't seem like that.... I want to say holier-than-thou attitude but it's not really showing in this post like it has in others.... Hmmm.... I suppose me saying I appreciate your post is flagrant etiquette bull****, because I can't single out one part of your post that I'm grateful for.

When people share stories, they're not always asking for your roundabout kind of advice. Sometimes it's just an "Oh, that's nice" kind of moment and then the discussion moves forward. It is what it is, but then you always assume your road is the high road everyone should take. I'll handle my issues my way and reap the rewards I sow-- you do whatever the **** it is that you do without trying to dispense unwarranted advice my way and everything'll be gravy.

I guess if it happens again I will have to take the package chucking approach.

I just want to emphasize the point of my post was not to encourage violence, but to outline the lack of initiative on part-time management's part to do anything involving discipline that didn't result in someone in handcuffs or on a gurney. From what I've seen, problems either blow over or build pressure and blow up at UPS.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Why didn't management take the initiative to protect me from....words??.....lol. Sounds to me like your PT sup's assessment of you is pretty accurate. Sweetheart?? Load on my belt and throw a box at my head.....see how sweet I can be....lol.
images-3.jpeg

J

jibbs

Sounds to me like your PT sup's assessment of you is pretty accurate. Sweetheart?? Load on my belt and throw a box at my head.....see how sweet I can be....lol.

It was condescending. As in, you talk down to ****ing everybody here and it's clear you deserve a little dent on your crown. C'mon through Maryland, I'll accommodate you if that's really what you want. My Napoleon Complex won't back down to vagina, even when it winks at me the same way your try to get your erotica on with half this forum.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It was condescending. As in, you talk down to ****ing everybody here and it's clear you deserve a little dent on your crown. C'mon through Maryland, I'll accommodate you if that's really what you want. My Napoleon Complex won't back down to vagina either.
First of all, I may talk down to YOU, but I don't to everyone on BC. Second, I'm a package monkey, same as you. Do you honestly thing I'm some doe eyed, shy, can't stand up for myself, doesn't have a mouth the size of Alabama and twice as dirty kind of chick? Please....conversation over. Words are just words....not an excuse for violence.

J

jibbs

First of all, I may talk down to YOU, but I don't to everyone on BC. Second, I'm a package monkey, same as you. Do you honestly thing I'm some doe eyed, shy, can't stand up for myself, doesn't have a mouth the size of Alabama and twice as dirty kind of chick? Please....conversation over. Words are just words....not an excuse for violence.

See, you're projecting your own insecurities. I think you're a loud-mouthed middle-aged woman who can't help but try to dispense what she no doubts thinks is worldly, sage advice in any and every situation you come across here. When you can't tell somebody how you would've handled a situation differently, you're full of platitudes and cliches we all have swirling around our heads but you feel necessary to post with a wink to try and seem edgy, flirtatious, playful.

I hold no delusions about what you are.

[P.s. normally, after declaring a conversation is over, we don't add sentences. Unless, you know, you're just trying to do that thing where you get the last word in and then plug up your ears screaming "Na na na na na naaaaa, I can't hear youuuuuu." Then I totally get it and, sure, we can end this conversation now.]

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I must say that you are not using vagina in the correct context as the euphemism for the word you actually want to post but is not allowed.

***** refers to entire area including the labia majora, labia majora, clitoral glans and clitoral hood as well as the vagina.
Many people would also include the mons pubis as part of the entire area referred to as the *****.

J

jibbs

I must say that you are not using vagina in the correct context as the euphemism for the word you actually want to post but is not allowed.

****y refers to entire area including the labia majora, labia majora, clitoral glans and clitoral hood.
Many people would also include the mons pubis as part of the entire area referred to as the ****y.

Actually, I was using "vagina" interchangeably with "woman"/"women." Go ahead, take "vagina" out of the sentence and then replace it with the word "women." I bet it works.

I wasn't trying to use a slur there, Hoax', despite what my previous postings may've led ya to believe.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I think Cartman aka jibbs has a few more choice words for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd30JESdb9o