You wont believe this PCM!

aspenleaf

I will leave my packages on your porch tomorrow! Just a question: How often do your lunches get interrupted for work?

As a preloader I of course do not have this issue. At my last job I was always called away from lunch for work matters but once I took care of the issue I was able to return to lunch. Of course we were not in a union so we had to jump when told or be fired. Maybe they could download some games or movie clips into your DIADs then you'd want to take them to lunch! I don't blame you for wanting your lunch hour to be your own time. Your work day is a very long day as it is.

D

Daddy

over9.5,

Wouldn't want you to strain yourself taking the DIAD into lunch with you, I know it's hard "work." If we get enough sour drivers like you, maybe we could tear up all the DIADs, run all the customers off, watch our company go out of business, and you could get a job at the Waffle House which is probably where you would be working if you didn't work at UPS.

disneyworld

tieguy said:
interesting position. How far do you take this position. Is it anything work related. Do you park the package car somewhere and walk to lunch. You could be bothered by a customer if you are anywhere near the car during lunch? Do you strip out of your uniform during lunch so no one will mistaken you for a ups driver and bother you during lunch? Not trying to be a smart A_ even though it probably sounds like it but I think its almost impossible to completely escape the job and isolate yourself totally from work while on lunch? The contract language certainly entitles you to an uninterrupted lunch but its not going to pay your bills if you piss off every customer that approaches you during your lunch break?
So management counts on us to work during lunch? Then again we should"work as directed"

A

Anonymous One

Its amazing how hard Ups makes it to deliver boxes! We have routes in our center that you can not take a lunch till 5pm. Then we have a Union Stewart who take 2 to 3 hours lunch a day and delivers 30 to 40 stops (his route is in a very rural area). Kinda makes you wonder if hes cuttin deals or sumthin coz they dont say anything to him.

browniehound

Over 95 is right, you don't leave lunch to get an OCA and you shouldn't be required to carry your DIAD with you. As for helping out a customer while on lunch, I think you should. Lord knows, there have been times when I needed a signature and the reciever was on break. All we are saying is dude I have a contractual right to be left alone for an hour. We all know you stick it to us the rest of the day.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Brownie

Exactly. While I try not to focus on UPS during lunch, I always put the customer #1, not ups. So yes, I am working when I take care of the customer. But then what ever time I do work, I add on to the break time at the end of the day.

For 20 years I never took a lunch, ever. Shame they cranked me up that tight and I never saw the games.

But now, 1 hour and break. Might not get it all between 1:30-2:30, but I will before the day is out.

As for 9.5, Dear Daddy, when you understand how some of the drivers get after being kicked around like just so much replaceable junk by management for 20+ years, then at the very least you understand where he is coming from. Might not agree, but understand.

tieguy

Banned
disneyworld said:
So management counts on us to work during lunch? Then again we should"work as directed"

you have to read my response in context to over9's post. My point you don't want to carry the diad with you because its work related. Meanwhile you're still wearing the uniform and driving the package car to whatever lunch spot you choose. I'm guessing he now parks the package car, changes into civilian clothes and walks the two miles to the nearest mcdonalds so that he is not using or carring anything work related during lunch?

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
Over9five,

Tieguy is right!

Perhaps we should all put a sign up in front of our houses advertising that the neighbors can drop their packages off on the front porch and we will take them to work in the morning.

Oh, and by the way, you will then be required to take your DIAD to bed with you.

If you drive your brown vehicle home and park it in front of your house and if you sleep in your brown uniform then you should do so. You really had to stretch your little pea brain to come up with this stupid response.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
over9five said:
Do you work on your lunch hour? You remind me of a driver I have lunch with sometimes. He has his DIAD right with him. One time, his DIAD alert goes off. He picks up the board, and says,"On Call Air, gotta go, closes in 15 minutes". Idiot still had half an hour of lunch! Never answer that thing on your break.

Contract says we get one hour uninterrupted lunch.
Put the DIAD away. Take your lunch.
Whoever said you needed to respond to your diad during lunch??:crying:
Keeping your diad safe is not working;it's your responsibility.

Interesting how a request to take care of the equipment you use can get twisted into a "I'm a spoiled union brat that makes $25+ an hour and won't do anything I don't have to", kind of argument.

Perhaps they should take your diad away and put you back on sheets:w00t:
I'm sure you can keep them in the back of your car when your on lunch, DUDE!!

1 trickpony:

"Perhaps we should all put a sign up in front of our houses advertising that the neighbors can drop their packages off on the front porch and we will take them to work in the morning.

Oh, and by the way, you will then be required to take your DIAD to bed with you."

Not a bad idea, then instead of calling in sick you can just sit home and rake in the dough..:lol:

Ms Spoken

trickpony1 said:
Over9five,

Oh, and by the way, you will then be required to take your DIAD to bed with you.

Dont fall out of bed because you might go off trace and the GPS will rat you out.

ragu

Has anyone really looked at the science behing this theory anyway? It would be very hard for excessive heat to damage any of the DIAD's electrical components, maybe if the temp exceeded 250deg. High humidity could be a more practical explanation for the DIAD malfunctioning, as condensation could effect some of the circuitry. Where is this taking place? Maybe someone with some electrical engineering experience could weigh in on this.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
over9five said:
Lock the DIAD in your truck, Tony, and TAKE YOUR LUNCH!
I don't have a problem with taking a lunch, in fact I look forward to it each and every day.

I would have a problem if something went wrong with my diad and put me behind in my work. So I'd prefer to make sure that the trusty tool that UPS has entrusted to me continues to work problem free.

Tonyexpress out:closedeye

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I believe that the Dad 4's heat problem is the fact that a different type of batteries are used in it. A few months ago, our DIAD racks were moved to an air-conditioned cabinet because they don't charge well in the heat. Last week, mine popped up a screen saying that it had 20% power left at 7:30 AM while I was running Early AM NDA. At this point, the DIAD 4 will go completely dead fairly soon. That night somebody supposedly fixed it, but it gave me a 20% power screen again at 3:30 PM when I had six stops left. I called the Center and was told to pull off my PAS Labels and completed my four pickups on a DR route with no DIAD. Both these days were in mid-ninety degree heat, the DIAD was in the holder in the dash. I often have to grab a DIAD 3 to do my job.:w00t:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

Go to the forum that best would handle your thread topic, and at the top of the thread list, you will find a button to start your new thread. Basically, that is it.

d

wily_old_vet

dannyboy said:
Brownie

But now, 1 hour and break. Might not get it all between 1:30-2:30, but I will before the day is out.

Danny- Aren't you being a little disengenuous here. You are retired from UPS so you no longer take that 1 hour and break and neither do I.