You wont believe this PCM!

Brownnblue

Daddy said:
over9.5,

Wouldn't want you to strain yourself taking the DIAD into lunch with you, I know it's hard "work." If we get enough sour drivers like you, maybe we could tear up all the DIADs, run all the customers off, watch our company go out of business, and you could get a job at the Waffle House which is probably where you would be working if you didn't work at UPS.

Actually, I would probably hope that one of the dozen or so offers for jobs that I got during the summer of '97 would still stand, and take one of those. Less money, more respect, you know how its goes.

Or maybe your right.
Maybe I am stuck in genetic epsitemologist Jean Piaget's third stage of cognitive development (concrete operations) and am not capable of any type of employment beyond the Waffle House.

Your call.

Brownnblue

apologies for not flowing with the thread, but the "your a driver, your a nothing scum" posts really get under my skin.
Sorry.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Your allowed!:wink:

THe self help group meets every sunday night in the chat room to aid in self control, self worth etc.

I can feel the pent up, long term issues you expressed. Just dont let it get you down!

d

d

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
beentheredonethat said:
To a large extent I agree with dannyboy and tooner on this. I think going heavy on the pd day and cutting a driver is definitely cheaper in the short run. But, I think it is probably more expensive in the long run. There's a point of diminishing returns where fatigue sets in. Not just fatigue from one day of a heavy dispatch but day after day of it. Also, more importantly once a driver gets tired, he\she is more prone to get injured which isn't good for either the driver or the company. It does make sense to have some routes in the center to be known as heavy dispatch routes. Let's face it, in every center there are always going to be some drivers that want the extra hours. Also, it also makes sense for centers that have routes that have a huge to\fr to get on area. It makes sense to have those routes planned at a higher paid day, since if you add a driver in an area like that you add another driver having a huge to\fr which is nothing but cost to UPS. Area's that are tight and have a small to\fr should be planned to be a lower paid day, drivers wanting a lower paid day should bid on those routes so everyone comes out happier. That's my 2 cents.
Very nicely put btdt... Sounds like you've actually been there and done that:cool:

I have to say that getting the drivers in and out on time makes for a much better operation. Morale improves dramatically!! In California where I worked many years as both hourly and management we once had a District Manager that made this happen. His initials are R.R. and he had his sh-- together. Management and hourly were starting to live and enjoy his plan, a plan that he used successfully in other districts prior to coming to our larger one. It was unbelievable and was called the Total Service Plan...

Basically, get the drivers in on time thus assuring on time feeder departures and in turn getting the loads to the preload on time so the drivers can leave on time. It actually worked!!:wink: It took a lot of work and R.R. was a no nonsense kinda guy. As a management person you either did your job or you weren't around long. However, in the long run many of us grew to respect his style and effort and we eventually saw the results. Results that found us home with our families both hourly and management alike.

In my 27 year career with UPS things never ran better. Too bad he left and another district manager came in and dropped his plan. Now from what I hear (retired early or quit as they say at 45 in 2003) things in the operations are difficult and it really doesn't have to be that way.

Hopefully they'll make R.R. King and he'll insist on doing things the right way, the Total Service Plan way.:wink:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
WE had two like that here. back to back. Then the ones that took over just quit pushing to get the loads in, quit standing up to IE to justify adding routes, basically spinless worthless wimps. Yes men.

But for a while, several years, it was a good life.

d

arvistyler

mrbill said:
As always its about the equipment melting ,not the driver!!!!!!!!!!
As to the person who wrote that we are spoiled union brats making 25 dollars an hour, he is wrong. We make over twenty six bucks an hour, and if you want the job, and want to understand where we come from, grab my keys big boy, and show me how it's done.

over9five

Staff member
"..and show me how it's done."

And now we'll hear how he was a driver...had it harder back then....did it faster, etc etc)

tieguy

Banned
Don't need to go there. I didn't agree to do the job when the weather was ideal. I agreed to do it every day regardless of the weather conditions with hurricanes and blizzards being the exception. And you folks are right the weathers been absolutely miserable. But at the same time the tone of some posts here make it sound as if UPS is responsible for it being 100 degrees outside.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Bout time you got out of bed!

Actually, they are responsible. Not for the 100 degree heat, but for making the drivers work till near dark in the 100 degree heat. For that there is no logical excuse but greed.

d

trickpony1

Tie is right!

The company is never responsible for anything.
Nothing is ever the company's fault.
How dare anyone suggest otherwise!

(sarcasm intended)

aspenleaf

Just be glad you are not city workers re-paving the streets. They work in the heat also (this is not always done at night) plus have cars driving within inches of them. Maybe you need a clause in the next contact stating you won't work in hot, raining, windy or extreme cold conditions and no matter what time of year you want to be home before dark. :wink:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick

Maybe the teamsters could hire a lil ole LPN to take over the negotiations with UPS. Maybe a fresh honest face with a youthful passion would be a fresh breath of air in a very stale and dishonest environment?

d

aspenleaf

LOL, just because I am not a driver does not mean I can't understand your points. All I meant to imply is you all are ruining my image of the "sexy" UPS driver with all this complaining about the heat.:wink: If word got out millions of women will have to go back to fantasizing about the postal carrier. You may or may not know it but you drivers are in a few romance novels. . . I know you are the hardest working people at UPS and I know you put up with more crap than I ever will at UPS.

Dannyboy, sorry my plate is full. I can't take on the Teamsters at this time. However you might want to give diadlover a call. . .

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
However you might want to give diadlover a call

And he is suposed to do what? He cant even win an election when he is the only person running.

Actually, if he wasnt such an ass, he would be a really funny guy. Might help to have some humor at the table

d

aspenleaf

dannyboy said:
And he is suposed to do what? He cant even win an election when he is the only person running.

Actually, if he wasnt such an ass, he would be a really funny guy. Might help to have some humor at the table

d
LOL, yes he did lose but he is funny and he would be perfect take on the teamsters or at least get them riled up or very confused as to why we would send him to represent us. I think diadlover was just messing with us; because he was so over the top. I think in real life he might actually be a nice guy.

wornoutupser

Tie,

I do not understand the company position on the excessive overtime.
I have personally filed greivances since February. I have asked for both the extra overtime pay and the penalty pay for not being paid yet. This has snowballed into a huge situation between my center manager and myself.I have yet to see one cent of pay.

I am tired of working until 9:00 or 10:00 at night. It is the middle of summer and peak is over. Why am I not allowed to go home and see my family?

When I call my center manager on his cell to complain (While I am still at work and he is at his kid's ballgames), he brushes me off. It is the middle of summer and he will not put in the needed runs to handle the volume on a daily basis. All he does is play the shell game by moving work around to different drivers and blowing everyone out daily.

I questioned the division manager about this and I was told that the center manager has the final authority to add runs as he sees fit and that these decisions are his.

Why is UPS willing to alienate their long time drivers and pay out the nose on greivances rather than using the extra drivers in the summer to cross train on other routes? Our on roads go out every day with cover drivers to teach runs to cover the daily call ins. We can work 4 days and still make overtime for the week. My supervisor has probably not been in the building for 7 days yet this year. This alienates the supervisors as well. They are as sick of this as the houlies are.

I am not ranting, I am truly trying to understand what the thought process is here.

trickpony1

wornout,

It sounds like you have followed the chain of command of our famous "open door" policy so espoused by "our" company. The next step might be:

1) write a letter to the district manager explaining that you have followed the chain of command with no response. This should rattle some cages. You might request audience with the DM to discuss the issue but be sure to take a witness ( union steward ) with you. My guess is the DM doesn't have a clue what is really going on as the reports he sees are probably "doctored" by the front line sups so they look good.

2) Request audience with the union president and/or the business agent and/or the union steward to determine why your grievances are not being resolved. If you really want to piss some people off write a letter to the IBT headquarters expressing your concerns.

3) Contact Atlanta by letter/phone. This probably won't do any good as they (atlanta) will refer the issue back to your bosses.

We all know it's a "numbers" game and at years end, your sup's chunk of stock gift is dependant on the numbers looking good, irrespective of whether the job is getting done and the customers are happy.

good luck