August 2018

watdaflock?

Wish more guys that have been here for years would have the same concern and put some money away for things like work stoppages.
When the majority of UPS is part timers making less than $14/hour, good luck with saving money in case of a work stoppage.

Hopefully our union uses all of those fee's collected as a savings for rainy days.

Wish more guys that have been here for years would have the same concern and put some money away for things like work stoppages. It would make us stronger in times of peril and show the company we mean business. I know it's 3 years away, but it doesn't take a work stoppage to realize you need a cushion in case the SHTF.
We got guys that can't afford to take a sick day and work on their vacations.

2BadKneesPlease

Thanks for the intelligent and informative response Mug.

Another thank you to Austin for the spell check. My apologies for making my post unreadable by forgetting a single letter.

By The Book

Most of what you are hearing is speculation. People's opinions. Just like my thoughts.

Nothing concrete or confirmed, just my opinion.

Get your 30 days in first. Be active in your local union. Understand the contract.

My opinion is that current employees will be just fine. Little or no changes. I see the changes coming for those not yet hired. The unborn.

They do not have a vote. Would you vote yes if UPS says that they will keep your wages where they are only if you vote to cap any new hires at a lower rate?

That is why the last Master passed. The employees already in Teamcare voted yes because they got their raises and kept their insurance.

They did not care that it forced other employees into Teamcare. They did not care that it increased the progression for new hires.

Everybody for themselves.

We will see even longer progressions or caps for new hires because the majority of current employees do not care.

They will vote to screw the new hires even more just like they voted to screw them on the last contract.
Me personally, I voted no. Did I like the wage increases, yes. Did I like the 4 year progression, no. Did I like members forced into team care, no. Did I like stronger language on sure post, yes. Did I like that our future pensions are to be determined, no.Did I like the part time wage increase, yes. I would vote no on capping future employees, if it was so I could have a raise again., and definitely no if my wages stayed the same. I think our pensions need to be shored up and improved more than a wage increase.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When the majority of UPS is part timers making less than $14/hour, good luck with saving money in case of a work stoppage.

Hopefully our union uses all of those fee's collected as a savings for rainy days.
Once again, PT work isn't meant to be your main job. If you don't have another job or aren't in school while working as a PT employee, you should be looking for either. PT work here is what you do while working at your main objective. If a driving position opens up while you're doing it, well the. You got a decision to make.

watdaflock?

Once again, PT work isn't meant to be your main job. If you don't have another job or aren't in school while working as a PT employee, you should be looking for either. PT work here is what you do while working at your main objective. If a driving position opens up while you're doing it, well the. You got a decision to make.

The benefits UPS provides to PT employees are difficult to top. Many consider the PT job at UPS as their main health insurance contributor along with having some additional money making job(s) on the side. It's why many preloaders are farmers and/or have their own businesses like lawncare.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I know plenty of PT that make 40-60k+ and have full health benefits and pension, etc.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have no problem with that at all, as long as it doesn't require you to live paycheck to paycheck.

I agree. If you can afford it, go for it.

As for me, I don't live in my truck. It's basically and appliance. As a result, I'm perfectly happy in my base, 4-cyl, 5-sp, 4wd truck.

(I even have to turn a crank to operate the windows!! Horrors!!)