California

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Its sad that most towns of any size at one time had all the infrastructure in place for street cars (I realize that wouldn't work for high speed stuff). Even my small town at one time had a system that ran from one end of town to the other ---both north and south and east and west. In the 50's or so all that got tore up in favor of smelly old busses. Now there are no busses or any other kinds of mass transit. Its costing the Metro area billions of dollars to rebuild their mass transit system (a light rail system) that was tore up about the same time as everyone elses.

Same thing here. Tore out trolleys in the 50s. Now the hipster gentrification is bringing big money to an area that has been ghetto for 30 years. Now the city is putting lines back in that they tore out or paved over. The hipsters are really putting a kink in the standard white flight urban sprawl we're used to.

wkmac

Its sad that most towns of any size at one time had all the infrastructure in place for street cars (I realize that wouldn't work for high speed stuff). Even my small town at one time had a system that ran from one end of town to the other ---both north and south and east and west. In the 50's or so all that got tore up in favor of smelly old busses. Now there are no busses or any other kinds of mass transit. Its costing the Metro area billions of dollars to rebuild their mass transit system (a light rail system) that was tore up about the same time as everyone elses.

Same thing here. Tore out trolleys in the 50s. Now the hipster gentrification is bringing big money to an area that has been ghetto for 30 years. Now the city is putting lines back in that they tore out or paved over. The hipsters are really putting a kink in the standard white flight urban sprawl we're used to.

I think after about 5 to 8 minutes, you 2 will appreciate this.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think after about 5 to 8 minutes, you 2 will appreciate this.

I've seen this show before. It's a crying shame what happened to the streetcar systems in the US. Just another example of how if big business wants something -- NOTHING is going to stop them (that includes Unions).

moreluck

golden ticket member
Train.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I see the next addition for light rail in the Twin Cities had the estimated cost jacked up another 500 million dollars---and the haven't even stuck a shovel in the ground for that line.
The big Seattle tunnel project has only been digging for a few weeks and is years behind schedule already.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I don't understand why today's immigrants won't grab a pick-axe and shovel like every generation before them had to do to be accepted here .
Given their numbers those tunnels could be completed in this century .

moreluck

golden ticket member
Today in L.A. talked about a report that's come out about the Expoline...cost $1billion to build and doesn't reduce traffic.
Hear that Jerry ??

oldngray

nowhere special
Today in L.A. talked about a report that's come out about the Expoline...cost $1billion to build and doesn't reduce traffic.
Hear that Jerry ??

A train to nowhere must be more important than water problems. Or there are more opportunities for graft maybe.

MAKAVELI

Hear that Jerry ??
http://www.latimes.com/local/countygovernment/la-me-1117-expo-line-study-20151117-story.html
But the findings suggest that political and transportation leaders should rethink the way they market such transit investments to the public. Emphasizing reduced traffic congestion, researchers said, undersells more valid reasons for supporting public transit, such as providing transportation for low-wage earners, increasing links to job centers and providing more travel options.

Interested in the stories shaping California? Sign up for the free Essential California newsletter >>

"Looking into the future, this study shows us how to be more realistic in what we should expect from transit," said Sandip Chakrabarti, a researcher at USC's Metrans Transportation Center, which conducted the study for the county's Metropolitan Transportation Authority. "There is a value in creating quality transit for those who use it by choice or by need. It improves productivity for a lot of people."

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't understand why today's immigrants won't grab a pick-axe and shovel like every generation before them had to do to be accepted here .
Given their numbers those tunnels could be completed in this century .

They should get a bunch from what used to be North Vietnam. Now them suckers could tunnel. At least the ones in the 60's and 70's could.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Gov. Moonbeam has declared a state of emergency about this incident .
First reported on Oct. 23, 2015 ( only took him almost 3 months to find out about it ) .

You dont live here in our state, how would you know what Gov Brown knew or didnt know???

Just to set the record straight, EVERYBODY in this state knows about the gas leak, this isnt breaking news, but the city and county of los angeles has to ASK the governor for the state of emergency FIRST, before he can declare ANYTHING.

Get your head out of the garbage bro.

TOS.