"How much do you make"

twoweeled

I never have even when the company tried to force me to do so, especially with over 70LBS. Said I can't trust them and they are not as stringent as our company and can be under the influence from previous night and I fear for my safety. Doing your own work and DOING IT RIGHT = LESS STOPS DAILY!!
To imply that you needs skills beyond those consistent with a HS diploma and drivers license is a gross exaggeration.
If what you say were true, they wouldn't be paying over $100K. UPS isn't paying over $35 an hour because they like drivers. And the union couldn't get them to pay that, unless you think our Union is working miracles?

purehavanne

I had a little smart assed kid (20-plus) busting my balls about being a driver and having to wear a crap brown uniform all day. I said for what they pay me I would wear a clown suit if they wanted me to. He says, "oh what, $15/hour?" I said, not quite. It just happened to be a payday and I pulled my paycheck out and handed it to him. He opened it and I pointed to my take home. He was sort of shocked but then goes, "no big deal, that's two weeks worth." I said, "no, I get paid weekly my friend." His jaw about dropped and he looked at some of his coworkers who happened to be nearby to see if they had any idea and they just laughed at him.

Fellow Teamster here, and I approve of this message.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Keep beating that dead horse.
001 - Beating a Dead Horse.jpeg

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
You need organizational skills. You need a good sense of direction. You need to know how to read maps. You need to be able to work under pressure and time constraints.

All things that many many people in this world do not posses.

Time management, (as you mentioned), is a large part of this job.

JackStraw

Takes a different type of person to do this job. I look at all my friends and family members and think to myself, "Not one of these suckers would last a week"

Orion inc.

I like turtles
To imply that you needs skills beyond those consistent with a HS diploma and drivers license is a gross exaggeration.

Coming from the guy who didn't possess the skills to get hired as entry level management for ups(of which they pretty much take anyone) you really don't have the best skills to assess what it takes at ups.

Rack em

Made the Podium
It really sucks being a first/second year driver because a lot of people in my town just assume I am loaded even though I only make $19.50 and work maybe 3 days a week. People ask why I haven't bought a house yet, why I don't upgrade my truck, etc...

They don't understand the struggles of working at ups through the first 10 or so years. So yes, when we do become full time and finally wait those 4 long years to make top wage, we earn every single penny of that money!

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
It really sucks being a first/second year driver because a lot of people in my town just assume I am loaded even though I only make $19.50 and work maybe 3 days a week. People ask why I haven't bought a house yet, why I don't upgrade my truck, etc...

They don't understand the struggles of working at ups through the first 10 or so years. So yes, when we do become full time and finally wait those 4 long years to make top wage, we earn every single penny of that money!
Same here...while I do take home more than most of my friends weekly I work 20 hours a week more than them...I actually think my checks are a little smaller now that I'm at $19.50 instead of $18.75

Rack em

Made the Podium
Same here...while I do take home more than most of my friends weekly I work 20 hours a week more than them...I actually think my checks are a little smaller now that I'm at $19.50 instead of $18.75
Dang, I'm lucky to even work 20 hours a week this time of year! Last week I worked 18.4 hours :(

Cementups

Box Monkey

Good lord, my top rate when I made it after two years progression in 1998 was $19.76. Times, they have changed for sure.

Rack em

Made the Podium
you are still guaranteed 8 a day. start working preload and the evening shift
I don't think it works that way in our center. We have a small center of usually 21 routes a day. And there are 2-3 drivers who are laid off most days a week.

I think I've asked before if I could bump back into preload and I was told no.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I can't violate DOT hours if I don't drive. But I have also preloaded and drove many times in the past being within DOT hours

But what I was saying was like normally Monday and Tuesday I am laid off so I asked if I could preload on those days before and was told I could not bump a PT out of his position. Therefore I am not guaranteed 8 hours a day :/