IamFedExGround

Goldilocks

I think Ground is smart to use handlers to unload freight and load trucks. Express would be a much better place to work if we didn't have the sort. There'd be minimal interaction with management and being on the road is an independence you can't get with most jobs. I think no matter which FedEx division people put up with the hassles, low pay, etc because they do like the job. Couldn't imagine sitting in an office all day.

FedEx was great when you could get 25 years on your pension with pretty good pay and benefits. And eventually it will be a job for college students and housewives and others needing a part-time job. But this transition period is tough for all of us caught in the middle. Fred S said a couple of years ago when asked about raises that FedEx would take care of those who've stuck with them. I hope he remembers that when they start talking about buyouts. Many of us have worked 10-15 years with little to show for it. We deserve some kind of soft landing for our sticking with it.

He will Van....

CJinx

On the surface I agree with this. But, I'll bet there's more than one Ground driver that would love to load their own truck. I, for one, prefer to load my own truck.....I put something in the wrong spot, it's nobody's fault but my own.
For Ground, it boils down to who you get assigned to load your truck. When I was a package handler, I loaded six trucks(!) by myself and had the load charts memorized. The contractors were very happy and raised holy hell whenever the manager would re-assign me elsewhere. The loaders now rely on their handhelds to tell them where to put the package. I fear for the day that this system does down...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I think Ground is smart to use handlers to unload freight and load trucks. Express would be a much better place to work if we didn't have the sort. There'd be minimal interaction with management and being on the road is an independence you can't get with most jobs.

There'd be fewer hours for couriers. Just saying.

bbsam

Staff member
The FedEx driver was not cited or arrested until an investigation is complete. That is how things sometimes operate in California. This accident was on an open flat country field type of road. It was 4PM, sun high in the sky, not setting, perfect visibility. Why the speculation that Ground was not at fault? Knowing the track record of Ground and overall inexperience of it's drivers it is pretty pathetic of you to assume that Ground was not at fault. I have seen with my own eyes everyday major mistakes done by Ground drivers nearly everyday. Oh and the nice tattoos also.....
Any citations yet?

LTFedExer

What stops them from running through the freight quickly to make sure it's in order? Beats spending an hour or longer unloading cans and then going to your truck to fine sort.

Have you seen some of the trucks after their loaded? There is no 'running through the freight quickly to make sure it's in order'.

bbsam

Staff member
I only quote myself to emphasize the lack of response to the original challenge. There are those who would like to drop it and go on believing the Ground driver at fault. I believe they should make sure the facts bear that out or they should recant the baseless accusation. That's not unreasonable.

bbsam

Staff member
Cactus that thread had to do with "rampant speculation". I replied to 7 that we were busier, but not by 28%. R1a speculates that the move will be over the next few months, maybe by October. In short, enjoy it while you've got it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Cactus that thread had to do with "rampant speculation". I replied to 7 that we were busier, but not by 28%. R1a speculates that the move will be over the next few months, maybe by October. In short, enjoy it while you've got it.
Well you can enjoy it when you get crap like a Verizon belt clip going to some house out in the sticks that makes your drivers add on another 20 miles just to deliver it. And we'll see if Ground drivers will have the patience to get legitimate signatures from residentials with the added volume. Should be interesting especially come December.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe you've heard of a division called "Home Delivery"? Yeah. We deliver out in the Styx all the time. We do signatures too, when required. We don't even care what's in the package. If the shipper pays for signature service, that's what they get. Sometimes that pisses off the consignee, but that's between consignee and shipper.

Cactus

I said LEGITIMATE signatures. I've known of several Ground/HD drivers willing to get the shipper a signature even if they have to sign for a shipment themselves. Their penalty if caught is usually 20 lashes with a wet noodle.

bbsam

Staff member
I said LEGITIMATE signatures. I've known of several Ground/HD drivers willing to get the shipper a signature even if they have to sign for a shipment themselves. Their penalty if caught is usually 20 lashes with a wet noodle.

At our terminal it's grounds for immediate termination and yes it has happened. I think alot of people here are compiling stories from past years and simply refusing to believe anything could have changed.

Cactus

Forgive me if I come off a bit abrasive but us Express drivers are getting real tired of hearing about Ground's screwups from customers.

CharleyHustle

At our terminal it's grounds for immediate termination and yes it has happened. I think alot of people here are compiling stories from past years and simply refusing to believe anything could have changed.

The real concern should be paying for a time sensitive job by the week and not by the hour. If an Express driver or UPS man is given extra work they are compensated for the extra time it takes. If a driver gets $450 or even a $1000 per week and gets more work they don't get the extra compensation. It has nothing to do with the make up of the worker but human nature to start cutting corners when asked to do more for less or the same. It starts with little things, keeping the bulkhead open and the truck running, then disregarding speed limits, then stop signs then stop lights. Its a great way for companies to make money but it does have risks.

bbsam

Staff member
Forgive me if I come off a bit abrasive but us Express drivers are getting real tired of hearing about Ground's screwups from customers.

Then don't. Give them the 800 number. I don't take you as being abrasive. I take you as being frightened. Times are changing and it will affect your income. I would feel the same in your position as I think you would in mine.

bbsam

Staff member
The real concern should be paying for a time sensitive job by the week and not by the hour. If an Express driver or UPS man is given extra work they are compensated for the extra time it takes. If a driver gets $450 or even a $1000 per week and gets more work they don't get the extra compensation. It has nothing to do with the make up of the worker but human nature to start cutting corners when asked to do more for less or the same. It starts with little things, keeping the bulkhead open and the truck running, then disregarding speed limits, then stop signs then stop lights. Its a great way for companies to make money but it does have risks.
I don't find that to be a concern. I expect alot from my drivers and they take alot of pride in their job.