Old Time UPS.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I think that was one of the shipper numbers for New Process/ Blair out of Warren, Pa. . I loved that place as a feeder driver, quite a few hotties worked there. The cafeteria had 5 cent coffee and pop. It seemed that at least once a week there was a reason for a party and I would get an invitation.

Also, a release number. Easy to pad stop counts.

tarbar66

Who would ever pad their stop count?

The New Process boxes flew almost as good as a Frisbee. When I was in package I never went up the steps unless the customer was at the door.

Brown Rocket

Don't worry, in 20yrs or so you'll have your own stories. The stuff we use today will seem so slow and simplistic then.

Yeah. "I know 500 stops is a ton. In my day 300 was unbelievable. And in my day the trucks didn't fly."

I think that was one of the shipper numbers for New Process/ Blair out of Warren, Pa. . I loved that place as a feeder driver, quite a few hotties worked there. The cafeteria had 5 cent coffee and pop. It seemed that at least once a week there was a reason for a party and I would get an invitation.

5 cent coffee? How long ago was that? What was it like at UPS during WWI? :surprised::peaceful:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In my center it was D. Knob.

We used to have a mall driver that "B. Hill" would appear out of nowhere and sign for about everything. This was after he kicked the hell out of the rear doors in the service hall and the store employees wouldn't come to the door. For other reasons, he is "no longer with the company".

ol'browneye

I knew which companies had the 25 cent soda machines for their employees. And who had the best bathrooms. Now I'm on a rural route so the whole world is my bathroom!

Remember the old one time pickups sheets. You had to peel off the shipper number and ID label and put one on every pkg. I had a 1xpu for a third floor office one time. Over 400 boxes all weighing 40-60 lbs. Another driver met me and it took us 3 hours to do that stop. Luckily, back then mngmt could use their own heads and they sent us both out with light split cars so we would be done early enough to go do this stop!

Dustyroads

Remember when we were required to fill out a misload card every day? In the early days they were kind of beige colored, and then they changed them to the blue variety.

I'm not sure if it was a regional thing, but back in the 80's, in the rural areas we delivered fireworks in the week or 10 days before the 4th. I think the fireworks companies sent flyers to every rural postal customer, and those two weeks were as heavy as Christmas for rural drivers.

Dustyroads

2197-jpg.11818

Here's an old delivery notice from the late 70's-early 80's. Thanks spif91!