Old Time UPS.

Dustyroads

There actually was a later brown and white card stock delivery notice, just before the yellow sticky note thing started. The later brown and white one read horizontally rather than the older, vertical one shown, above.

I need to search through my locker at work, I think I can probably find quite a bit of really old ups stuff! :)

There actually was a later brown and white card stock delivery notice, just before the yellow sticky note thing started. The later brown and white one read horizontally rather than the older, vertical one shown, above.

I need to search through my locker at work, I think I can probably find quite a bit of really old ups stuff! :)
That would make an interesting display.

rod

Retired 22 years
2197-jpg.11818

Here's an old delivery notice from the late 70's-early 80's. Thanks spif91!

These were the best ones- the back was blank so you could use them to make notes on.

upsgrunt

Here are some more old delivery notices and an old style wool cap. The cap is way before my time and was given to me by a retiree about 10 years ago.ebay pics 001.jpg

ebay pics 002.jpg

ebay pics 003.jpg
ebay pics 001.jpg
ebay pics 002.jpg
ebay pics 003.jpg

Dustyroads

Hey, grunt, that is the delivery notice to which I referred, the one that read horizontally. Those came out after the vertical version and just before the sticky note one. Good job!

And, the hat...wow, that could go in the Hall of Fame!

upsgrunt

There was a pin that was supposed to be on the hat, but he didn't have it when he gave it to me. The hat would have been hot as hell to wear because of the wool. It looks kind of goofy- maybe I'll get my kid to wear it and put the picture on here.

rod

Retired 22 years
There was a pin that was supposed to be on the hat, but he didn't have it when he gave it to me. The hat would have been hot as hell to wear because of the wool. It looks kind of goofy- maybe I'll get my kid to wear it and put the picture on here.
If your talking about the plastic clip on pin with the Old UPS logo on it I'm sure I have one somewhere

UPS Lifer

These were the best ones- the back was blank so you could use them to make notes on.

In California - these were printed in Spanish and believe me we needed them!

I didn't see anyone talking about merchandise exchange. This was kind of like Fur Calls but you waited for the lady to try on the dress and give you back the one that didn't fit. You actually packaged it and used string to tie it closed. We were issued string and pins to pin the label on. the topper would be when she asked for your opinion on how it looked!!! YIKES!

UPS started with Retail Contracts before the Common Carrier days. I made pick ups to May Co and Broadway and other department stores in downtown LA. I had my brown milkman's hat (which I still have) and an "Eisenhower" wool jacket. Most of the packages were wrapped in paper with string! Imagine that.

We had full time night loaders - who took the packages from the belt, placed them in "bins" wrote them up on paper delivery pads or records and then edge or brick loaded into a car with no shelves.

The company also employed tracing clerks and a whole department just for tracing packages in every district. We kept 9 months of paper delivery records available to "trace". Then we warehoused another 2 years worth of paper. We also had a payroll clerk who did the payroll by hand and held onto those records too! Paper-paper everywhere LOL! When you traced a package you might get an answer back in a week but more likely 2 weeks.

Ahhh the good ole days!

tracker2762

This has been bugging me trying to remember about the account we had to pick-up telephones and return them to the phone company. I think it was like a Dish Network kind of deal. Pre ARS era.

Dustyroads

When I started we had this guy who did the operation report every night by hand with a calculator, on this big spreadsheet kind of form. There were no computers in the building.

Sprint Communication's land line division, United, later Embarq, and now Century Tel, used to have us deliver phones and pick up old ones. This was in the day when a lot of people actually rented their phone from the phone company. To speed things up in the delivery process, I've installed a couple for old people...back in the day. Now all we deliver from them are computer modems. Times change.

1080Driver

Before the days of PAS/EDD, if the regular driver of a neighboring route was on vacation or sick or OPH, it was easy to make your own "add/cut" since the cover drivers usually start 10/15 minutes later. This especially convenient on Fridays when you'd get bumped on a light load.

The Milkman

2197.jpg

Here's an old delivery notice from the late 70's-early 80's. Thanks spif91!

I remember these when I started and the only thing I noticed over the years that no matter the type of DN, customers almost all the time never read the top part for *signature required. When I worked the counter for 8 years alot of people never read the fine print..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I remember these when I started and the only thing I noticed over the years that no matter the type of DN, customers almost all the time never read the top part for *signature required. When I worked the counter for 8 years a lot of people never read the fine print..
Same way on UPS.com.
Customers never read anything but the field labels. That's why it is important to have the application very logically laid out and intuitively obvious.
So the old is new again.

over9five

Staff member
I didn't see anyone talking about merchandise exchange. This was kind of like Fur Calls but you waited for the lady to try on the dress and give you back the one that didn't fit. You actually packaged it and used string to tie it closed. We were issued string and pins to pin the label on. the topper would be when she asked for your opinion on how it looked!!! YIKES!

One old timer told me he'd tell the good looking girls that regulations said he couldn't let the dress out of his sight. She'd have to change right there.

I think he was kidding.....??

ups79

One old timer told me he'd tell the good looking girls that regulations said he couldn't let the dress out of his sight. She'd have to change right there.

A lot of pkgs with driver release were left in charcoal grills. After leaving note saying pkg left in grill, customer would call in saying he could not find his new grill.

tarbar66

I used to deliver to a few young womens clothing store so I got to see all the hot ones. The ladies that worked there usually wanted to know what the other stores were getting so they would help me unload and peek to see what the other stores were getting. Back then almost all big companies had their water activated paper tape printed with the company logo and name so there was no need to look at the label.

In the afternoon when I went in the store to make the pickup quite a few times the clerks would tell the customers that if they wanted a guys opinion I would be happy to give them one. The dressing rooms where in the back of the store next to the shipping & receiving area. I really liked the month of May when the girls were getting new bikinis. It was a shame when that Zip Code was moved to another Center & District