Side Deals with Management

brown_trousers

Im just curious as to what kind of "agreements" people are making with management. You mentioned lunch times, what other agreements are being made?

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member
OK. Feeder drivers who put their name on the list to come in two hours early, BUT.........

.....go home at 8 hours when the 2 hours early is supposed to be the OT.

Extra contractual agreement to benefit themselves and the company.

brown_trousers

Having an 8 hr day planned with the dispatcher ( without proper procedure ) comes to mind.

That one doesn't sound too bad. Actually... it sounds like something I would do if the opportunity ever came up. the dispatcher is technically a management person, so it would really just be a driver asking management (the dispatcher) for an 8hr day. Did I miss something here? Are we not allowed to personally ask management for an 8 hour day???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That one doesn't sound too bad. Actually... it sounds like something I would do if the opportunity ever came up. the dispatcher is technically a management person, so it would really just be a driver asking management (the dispatcher) for an 8hr day. Did I miss something here? Are we not allowed to personally ask management for an 8 hour day???

The request must be in writing submitted IAW the contract.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If they run and gun, skip lunch, and clock out on the way in they won't be required to help anyone when they get done. All of this confirmed with a nod and wink, never said out loud.

Safety committee members do gate audits off the clock in return they can go home for an unpaid paid off.

Cover drivers agree to run routes out of senority in return to "act like your on the trash route" if they "can get it off and bring it in".

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
8hr days being honored by giving said requester the day off instead.

Yep asked me to do this just last Tuesday I said nope I need to work. I think they were pretty upset. It was almost as if you need to work so bad how dare you ask for only 8 hours. Had two 8 hr requests last week brought back stops on both of them. Was dispatched around 9 hours.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Yep asked me to do this just last Tuesday I said nope I need to work. I think they were pretty upset. It was almost as if you need to work so bad how dare you ask for only 8 hours. Had two 8 hr requests last week brought back stops on both of them. Was dispatched around 9 hours.

Did they say to bring them back or did you do it on your own?

Brownslave688

Its bad when for 4-5 months out of the year a star runner gets 2-3 8 hour requests a week without actually officially using 1. Because he coaches his sons baseball team. Guess what I took this job knowing I'll miss plenty of extraciricular activities but I'll provide financially much better than I could otherwise.

slantnosechevy

If they run and gun, skip lunch, and clock out on the way in they won't be required to help anyone when they get done. All of this confirmed with a nod and wink, never said out loud.

Safety committee members do gate audits off the clock in return they can go home for an unpaid paid off.

Cover drivers agree to run routes out of senority in return to "act like your on the trash route" if they "can get it off and bring it in".

Clocking out before they return to the bldg. will get a lot of people fired if mngmt. isn't catching it. WTF!!! I find that hard to believe anyone from mngmt. is overlooking that one. What happens if the driver has an accident on the way back to the bldg. Heeeeee gone bye bye and so is his boss.

The rest of this does go on on a daily basis in most centers. As far as the safety committee working off the clocK that's an easy fix too. First inform mngmt. that your filing a grievance for individual bargaining. If you need to push it farther file internal charges with the local.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Its bad when for 4-5 months out of the year a star runner gets 2-3 8 hour requests a week without actually officially using 1. Because he coaches his sons baseball team. Guess what I took this job knowing I'll miss plenty of extracurricular activities but I'll provide financially much better than I could otherwise.
You made a conscious decision not to be that guy. Let him have his side deals, you're making all the money.

Brownslave688

Did they say to bring them back or did you do it on your own?
I informed them at lunch I would need help. Told them at 4 I still needed help exactly how much and where the stops were. They told me they had help. 4:45 help will need to meet me soon. 5:15 I'm brining stops back if help doesn't come in 5 min. 5:25 told me not to bring stops back. Too late I was on the road and didn't get the message until I was at the center. Walked in told them stops were on the truck.

Brownslave688

You made a conscious decision not to be that guy. Let him have his side deals, you're making all the money.
Yes but he bid on a route with a late pick up and surrounding drivers shouldn't have to cover this for him all the time. That was also his choice to bid that route and unless formally requesting an 8.0 he should have to run his route.