1 Hour Lunch

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What do you think they`re doing on the runners who put down a lunch even when it`s clear they are still working.

That is not what the previous post was implying. It is not illegal if the EMPLOYEE is causing that issue.

Our supplement says that if UPS forces an employee to work any part of their lunch, the entire lunch will be paid and employee will be given 20 minutes paid time for a meal period.

carneys

I should think that as long as customers aren't being effected and time is not being stoled it shouldn't matter if it's an 30 min 40min 58 min or even 61 min lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheKid

Up in our area, ENE, we are required to take an hour lunch. I personally would love to take 1/2 hr. and maybe get home a little earlier. I know...enter laugh track here...but it would be nice to have a choice.

22.34life

Im not a driver but i clerk the second half of my combo so i have alot of interaction with drivers and center sups not taking the full hour lunch here is an issue also .since i have never drove i dont really understand all the details of it but i do know this our buisness agent was in the building a while back and was talking to the combos about taking their full hour lunch and he told us that drivers are starting to get warning letters for not doing so.He was telling us that we also must take our full hour lunch,i was also told this by my full time sup and since then all combos have had to take their hour so dont feel like it justs drivers this is happening to.again i dont drive so i dont really understand how they get warning letters for not taking their lunch.I know many drivers come in and take their lunch in the break room, that is truly crazy to me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Up in our area, ENE, we are required to take an hour lunch. I personally would love to take 1/2 hr. and maybe get home a little earlier. I know...enter laugh track here...but it would be nice to have a choice.

That is what I was doing in ENE. I was not taking a lunch at all, nor having one deducated. went on for about 6 months :laughing:

NHDRVR

Ours state a lunch of 1 hour. Now some take 50 minutes + 10 minutes break to reach that hour. Others take 1 hour of lunch + 10 minutes of break for a longer rest period.

In Northern NE, (correct me if I am wrong folks) the contract says each driver in an 8 hour period will be provided a 60 minute lunch and two 10 minute breaks.
It DOESN'T say we have to TAKE them, only that they be provided.

This has been twisted by our managment staff to mean we are obligated to take the 60 minutes a day if we are going to be held to the contract.

I don't pretend to know our contract/supplemental through and through but as grown men and women if we choose to not take a lunch, or part of it, then please leave me alone when I do it. I have my reasons for needing to squeeze out a bit early and 99.99% of the time it's related to my children.

To be fair.... My on-road and center manager have never, ever, given me a hard time about doing this since I do it about once a week (usually Friday) and I get the feeling (TieGuy?) that this is only a problem when they are getting heat from above. My boss, in his own world, could care less if I take a lunch or not. He just doesn't want any accidents or injuries...

fair enough...

P

pickup

a
Sounds like your center does not want to pay you for your two 15 minute breaks that you are entitled to under Ca state law.

In Ca. if you work over 6 hrs in a day you are entitled to 2 15 minute breaks and a 1/2 hr meal period. After 10 hours of work you are entitled to another 10 minute break. If you are going to work over 12 hours, you need to take a second 1/2 hour meal period between the 4 and 5th hour after your first meal period ended..

Ah, yes the magic word in the original poster's post is "California", where the labor laws are considered employee friendly , relative to other states. Pkgrunner, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the rules regarding meal breaks in your state of Ca. I found this link: http://www.gotmealbreaks.com/ that seems to conform pretty much to what you are saying although there are some minor(or major depending on how you look at it) differences.

My father is a driver for a non ups company in California. One driver quit and a few months later filed a class action suit against this company concerning meal breaks. I guess the company's lawyers told the company that the case had merit and went had forms made up for all remaining drivers and even ex drivers to sign stating that they were never told to remain with vehicle or to be on call when on lunch. In consideration(legal term) for signing, they would each receive 500 dollars. But by signing, they could not join the class action suit.

Anyway , that case had something to do with lunch breaks and ups is obviously trying to cover their butts in terms of their potential future lawsuits. It is one thing to be able to have the union side with management, it is another thing to be able to convince a state judge or official to side with management.

I think the extra half hour also kills some dead time at the end of the day when you are more likely to be waiting on customers to wrap things up if you only took a half hour lunch. Now they are more likely to be waiting on you if you take the hour lunchBut that is a different story. I am also sure that the company is hoping and betting that you will sort the truck out while you take that loooong (to some) lunch that is unpaid.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But since i'm a shop stweart and been with UPS for 27 years i don't let anything go by me if i think it's unfair! In the contract the parragraph that explains lunch period (i will not quote the contract look it up) there is nothing that states that we have to take an hour for lunch.

First off, every area of the USA has different language that deals with their specific area. Your contract might be totally different than ours. So the snide little snippet of "look it up" really shows your lack of understanding when it comes to the over all contract that deals with the company and the employees in your area.

Secondly, as has been mentioned, you work in CA. Ca has a lot of different rules than other states. Those rules are actually part of the contract, whether it mentions them specifically or not. The contract can not take away rights that the state provides for, it can only add additional rights to what the state mandates.

Your state, because of lawsuits of private individuals (some of which work at UPS) has become very intolerant of companies that violate lunch laws. Not that UPS would ever so such a thing......

So in response, UPS has gotten fined. They are not going to allow themselves to be continually harassed by the state, so they have mandated the lunch period. That is why your areas are where the diads are shut down, proving to the state that you had the down time.

To my knowledge, there are very few areas if any, outside of CA, where this takes place.

I do find it interesting that a steward would argue the point of not taking lunch......

But then with your post, I can see where you have been misled....

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It DOESN'T say we have to TAKE them, only that they be provided.
The minute you are not on the clock while delivering, you are taking lunch.

I dont have a problem where a driver needs to get in early, and they allow you to work code 5 (work actual without a full hour for lunch). Where you run into problems is skipping your lunch without coding code 5.

UPS will take out a full hour for lunch each day, unless you are code 5. Take it or not, UPS will.

d

carneys

UPS will take out a full hour for lunch each day, unless you are code 5. Take it or not, UPS will.

Boy Danny not only do you not read all of the replys i did put the contract in a reply later. but you don't know :censored2:. UPS will not take out an hour lunch if you don't but code 5. Those days are long but over. Knucklehead!!

P

pickup

okay, this is where it goes downhill.

please feel free to borrow from my bag of insults:

I have : smuck, chowderhead, dummy, idiot, nincompoop, imbecile, etc, etc, etc.

okay, this is where it goes downhill.

please feel free to borrow from my bag of insults:

I have : smuck, chowderhead, dummy, idiot, nincompoop, imbecile, etc, etc, etc.

I thought it was "schmuck"?

Around here UPS will take out an hour and then call you to explain why you didn`t enter one when you punched out. No one goes paid lunch anymore without a darn good reason from someone higher up than a lowly driver.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
UPS will not take out an hour lunch if you don't but code 5. Those days are long but over. Knucklehead!!
Glad you finally found the spell check and spelled knucklehead correctly.

Again, all you know is your little world. Try understanding your little bit of UPS is not what it is everywhere else.

If you, under the contract, are to take an hour for lunch, UPS takes that hour off the worked day, whether you take it or not. For example, if you punch to punch had 10 hours, you would get paid 9 hours, and you should have punched out the other hour for lunch. If not, they will still take it off your paid day, take it or not.

The only way to not have that full hour (or your contracted time amount) for lunch deducted is to code your time as code 5 (in our area, your area might have another number for working actual time).

So please, get your info correct.

I do find it interesting that a steward would call another one a knucklehead, because the second steward posted something in support of upholding the contract. BUt then you folks in CA are a bit different, arent you?

d

carneys

I would hope that everyone here talking is on a diad of some sort 3,4 whatever. that is your time clock if you enter 30 mins for a lunch and you started at 830 overtime for you starts at 500. Tha's easy mathmatics? If you don't get over time after 500 someone is adjusting your board (time card) witch is against the LAW. Again ill say our board shuts down for 30 mins that should be all the required time needed for compliyance.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
To the business at hand.

YEah you finally posted it. But again, your biased glasses you are wearing only allow you to read what you want to read.

LUNCH PERIOD:
The lunch period shall not be less than 1/2 hour or more than 1 hour in duration. The lunch period shall commence not less than 4 hours after the employees starts work, and shall be completed no later than 6 hours after the commencement of the employee's work. If the employee is directed to take a 1/2 hour lunch, the remaining 1/2 hour will be paid at the over-time rate.
What it says is that it will not be less than 1/2 hour, but no more than 1 hour long.

If you are directed to only take 1/2 hour, then you get the other 1/2 hour paid at overtime.

Now, where you have a hard time understanding the contract, you work as instructed. You are to follow instructions given to you by your supervisor. In the event those instructions violate your rights under the contract, you work as instructed and grieve.

In no way does the instructions given to you violate the contract. In fact, the instructions that are given to you to fall into compliance with CA law.

So basically, your only support for your stand on this is that you dont want to take your full lunch period.

Well grow up.

You have mentioned having a set. Good for you. Then quit whining about your freedom of choice concerning your lunch. You have a great deal of freedom. Get a job somewhere else......for example.

Until such a time as you exercise that freedom, you need to understand your position at UPS. That is to work as instructed. They dont give a fiddlers damn that you dont like what they tell you to do. But its your job to do it.

You as a steward should know that already, which makes me think you are one of those pretend stewards we read so much about.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would hope that everyone here talking is on a diad of some sort 3,4 whatever. that is your time clock if you enter 30 mins for a lunch and you started at 830 overtime for you starts at 500. Tha's easy mathmatics? If you don't get over time after 500 someone is adjusting your board (time card) witch is against the LAW. Again ill say our board shuts down for 30 mins that should be all the required time needed for compliyance.

Sunshine, you have no idea what you are talking about. UPS deducts 45 minutes from my paid day every day. It is called lunch. The only time UPS does not deduct this lunch period is if I request and am approved to work Code 5, which is hours worked, and those requests are rarely approved. Our center gives out warning letters if you do not put 45 minutes in to your DIAD for lunch. Now, do they really care if you actually take your lunch? No, but you damn well better put 45 mins in to "show" that you took a lunch. If they ever did take the time to see if drivers were working during these times we would have a few drivers here who would be in for a rude awakening.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If you don't get over time after 500 someone is adjusting your board (time card) witch is against the LAW.
So now you are a lawyer?

God, no wonder they are such a despised lot.

As NY stated, you are blowing smoke out of both ends.

Those areas of the USA where lunch is an hour, they take an hour away from your paid day. Up to you to take it.

In those areas that get 45 minutes and a 15 minute break, they take an hour away, its up to you to take it.

Same goes for those with 1/2 and two 15 minute breaks, or two half hour breaks. You take em or lose em.

Under your contract, you are to take an hour lunch. You have been instructed to do so.

Only exception to that rule is if they tell you to work 1/2 hour of that lunch, for which you get overtime.

So work as instructed. Nobody but nobody but you cares about what you think is right or wrong, or what you want or dont want.

Grow up.

You gave your rights to negotiate a contract for you to the union, which you supposedly represent.

So grow your set and do your job, both as a UPS employee and as a steward.

d

carneys

Well i guess i thought that most of the UPS employee's would be doing the same thing. Our states should be seperated by walls or by different coumtry lines. But i guess some of you are way way way way way still in the past. Our book (north Cal.contract) must be twice the size, among other things i'm sure than everyone elses. That was just a joke!!! Don't get your panties in a bunch. I know why it's different because of the law suit we had apainst UPS a few years ago. Now our board shuts down for 30 mins when we start our lunch. I guess alot of you didn't know that. Oakland Ca. the boards there shut down for 1 hour. My whole topic is based on this kind of differences. Why?