1 Hour Lunch

rossco

Up in our area, ENE, we are required to take an hour lunch. I personally would love to take 1/2 hr. and maybe get home a little earlier. I know...enter laugh track here...but it would be nice to have a choice.

i agree....also in ENE district...i would much rather take a half hour.takes me 15 minutes to eat, then i get bored, and end up sleeping on my 6000 section for a half hour. People get pissed when i say this because they claim i would be working for free if i only took a half hour lunch, but if i only enter in a half hour in the diad for lunch then my work hour numbers will still be accurate. Contract states that all employees must be paid for time worked.....For a while i would only take a half hour lunch and only enter in a half hour. eventually my supervisor told me management told him i need to be entering in a full hour, whether or not i took that full hourt. I told him "so if i want to get out earlier you want me to work for free, :censored2: that", and he told me he was just relaying what he was told

TheKid

i agree....also in ENE district...i would much rather take a half hour.takes me 15 minutes to eat, then i get bored, and end up sleeping on my 6000 section for a half hour. People get pissed when i say this because they claim i would be working for free if i only took a half hour lunch, but if i only enter in a half hour in the diad for lunch then my work hour numbers will still be accurate. Contract states that all employees must be paid for time worked.....For a while i would only take a half hour lunch and only enter in a half hour. eventually my supervisor told me management told him i need to be entering in a full hour, whether or not i took that full hourt. I told him "so if i want to get out earlier you want me to work for free, :censored2: that", and he told me he was just relaying what he was told
I liked back in the day when you could get a "paid lunch" stop for 20 and get paid for your lunch....get out early....ahhh..the good old days

Our Boards just say do you want to start your meal period. you say yes then it count's down from 30 mins. after that it says your meal period is over and then you can press end to put current time in and go on your day or keep taking a lunch for what ever time you want then press end lunch. See the wierdness is a center that is only 15 miles away, there boards count's down an hour.

If that is the case, then nowhere in your contract does it say you must take two 30 min lunches.

helenofcalifornia

I hate one hour forced lunches. Production is never the same rate of speed as before lunch, back is tight after sitting for an hour, it's nap time after eating lunch, and I still have business to deliver. Please let me have 1/2 hour instead.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I hate one hour forced lunches. Production is never the same rate of speed as before lunch, back is tight after sitting for an hour, it's nap time after eating lunch, and I still have business to deliver. Please let me have 1/2 hour instead.

Do you get the two 15 minute paid breaks, or just a 1 hr. lunch? Its funny that we work in the same state with the same labor laws for the same company, but are in a different conference of the IBT.....

I can transfer anywhere within the western region Hawaii, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho(I think) but cannot transfer north of central California.

Blueskin75

Our contract says we are "entitled" to a hour lunch, and two 15 minute breaks. The lunch should be between 4th and 6th hours. The first break should be sometime before the lunch, and the second break should be sometime after the lunch. We can ASK for a 30 minute lunch, and there is no limit to the amount of 30 minute lunches. So for us, the norm is the 60 minute lunch, and the 30 minute lunch is the exception.

Most drivers at my center take 30 minute lunches. A few of us take 60 minute lunches. I started taking 30 minute lunches and they added more work that was not on my bid route, seeing I had all this "extra time" to get it done. So, I warned them, do not add **** that is not mine on my route. No change. So they added the stops again, this is after a week of arguing. I take a big 'ol lunch!! I deliver 50 business stops in 4 hours after leaving the building at noon (extended Center). Pull over, take a 15 minute break, 60 minute lunch. Miss a whole bunch of stops. Had a meeting the next day, showed them the contract and how wrong they were to ASSUME I would ALWAYS take a 30 min. lunch, and to ASSUME I would take a 60 min lunch, UNLESS I ask them to take a 30 min. lunch....problem solved!!! Know your contract!! Do not rely upon your "STEWARTS", they are the ones taking their 30 min lunches at the end of the day in the break room!!

filthpig

We have been told that we MUST enter a one hour period in our board for lunch. During that time we cannot do ANY work. I take my full hour every day at my house on my couch from roughly noon to 1. I've gotten a warning letter for only taking 50 minutes. That'll never happen again.

NHDRVR

We have been told that we MUST enter a one hour period in our board for lunch. During that time we cannot do ANY work. I take my full hour every day at my house on my couch from roughly noon to 1. I've gotten a warning letter for only taking 50 minutes. That'll never happen again.

In NNE you are applauded for working during your lunch. They will even ask if you would like to be a supervisor.

That's not sarcasm...only the truth.

helenofcalifornia

And in Norcal we can only transfer within the district, nowhere else. Bummer, I would love the opportunity to just think about transferring to Hawai'i or New Mexico.

Hour lunches suck!

And we get two 15 minute breaks with an added 10 minute one after 10 long hours on the road. I would have to hazard a guess by other postings that the Norcal contract is one of the most generous despite a weak Union everywhere but Oakland. Go figure.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
In NNE you are applauded for working during your lunch. They will even ask if you would like to be a supervisor.

That's not sarcasm...only the truth.

There's that ol' Puritan Work Ethic for you!:peaceful:

In Washington it's essentially the same as in CA. We get two paid 10 minute breaks, and have to take either a 30 or 60 minute lunch, and our DIADs are disabled during lunch. My center manager told us that our lunches must be either 30 or 60 minutes, and nothing else, although my impression is that that was his interpretation and is not necessarily contractual.

I used to like working nonstop 'til all stops were done, then take my half hour and my two breaks all together at the end of the day. The lawsuit put a stop to that, and all breaks are to be taken at the contractual time. Luckily I'm not that gung-ho any more so it doesn't bother me.

A

anonymous6

And in Norcal we can only transfer within the district, nowhere else. Bummer, I would love the opportunity to just think about transferring to Hawai'i or New Mexico.

Hour lunches suck!

And we get two 15 minute breaks with an added 10 minute one after 10 long hours on the road. I would have to hazard a guess by other postings that the Norcal contract is one of the most generous despite a weak Union everywhere but Oakland. Go figure.

How come feeder drivers only have to take 30 minutes?

In NV we can take it at anytime. I'm surprised that we don't have to take it within the 4-6 hr like you do . if we had to , a lot of trailers would miss service in the winter.

browndevil

How come feeder drivers only have to take 30 minutes?

In NV we can take it at anytime. I'm surprised that we don't have to take it within the 4-6 hr like you do . if we had to , a lot of trailers would miss service in the winter.
Is it once you cross into Nevada you follow Nevada labor laws or do you follow the contract of your building of origin?