1997 Strike. Old heads only. On Topic.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The company proposals sucked and it was Not about just pensions.
HMOs, performances based raises, increased subcontracting are also a few show stoppers.
That's why I said pensions etc. If I remember correctly the company wanted a 7 year contract with raises every other year and profit sharing. Not sure exactly how the profit sharing was supposed to work but the idea was that the drivers would become invested in the business and this would make them more productive or something.

Karma...

if memory serves me there was also the company upped the ante by publicly posing increased pensions with years of service at any age including part-timers...figures of 3000 a month for 30 years including health benefits..different years of service varied the amounts.......the teamsters somewhat matched this and then went on strike on different issues........too bad the pensions aren't like the mechanics...they do a fine job with their pension and its done with nil for turnover.....

Hethatbeking

Never voted on the proposal. The company made a "last, best and final offer" that Carey refused to accept because of all the stuff about pensions etc. When the company wouldn't budge from that position he called a strike.
Why wasn't there a vote on the proposal? Did the '97 strike occur before the reforms that gave the rank and file voting rights?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Why wasn't there a vote on the proposal? Did the '97 strike occur before the reforms that gave the rank and file voting rights?
You can only vote on a proposal if it has been agreed upon by both the company and the union at which time the union presents it to the membership for a vote. In 1997 the company and the union couldn't reach an agreement, therefore there was nothing for the membership to vote on.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It was 1995.... and only half of the Locals walked.... for one day

-Bug-
Brother, The One Day Strike over the weight limit going to 150lbs was in February 1994. I dont remember the exact date but it was the first week. My local proudly walked. Our center manager came to the line and said anyone who didn't work was fired,and only a couple of scabs crossed.
IMO we should have had the sane one day strike this past December when UPS announced a 70 hour week

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Our local told us from the start of 1997 to expect a strike and to save. At every monthly meeting this point was reinforced. We were told that the Company was wanting to seize control of our pension and we'd be left with an empty bag if that happened.
We were also told more full time jobs needed to be created for Part times ,and that was how the union sold the strike to the public

F

Frankie's Friend

That's why I said pensions etc. If I remember correctly the company wanted a 7 year contract with raises every other year and profit sharing. Not sure exactly how the profit sharing was supposed to work but the idea was that the drivers would become invested in the business and this would make them more productive or something.
It was performance bssed;
Running scratch...
No driver follow ups...
Good DRs upon auditing...
No accidents...
No 800 phone calls (cust concerns) on us...

This all governed by the management.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Brother, The One Day Strike over the weight limit going to 150lbs was in February 1994. I dont remember the exact date but it was the first week. My local proudly walked. Our center manager came to the line and said anyone who didn't work was fired,and only a couple of scabs crossed.
IMO we should have had the sane one day strike this past December when UPS announced a 70 hour week

Yeah....

I corrected my mistake in post #15 of this thread.

@bowhnterdon are you happy now ? :biggrin:

I just don't remember it being February. Oh well.

There was a strike in 95 in freight. (?)

My Local was one of the few in the State that did walk. The following day, they had

someone in management ride with with every pkg car driver. The guy that was with me

was head of the Air dept. We got to a big bulk stop, and I was missing a NDA.

He started freaking out saying "this is a setup". I eventually found it, but it was funny.

This was back in the day, when you wrote your air stops and pieces on your blue card.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
While dining in contract preparation a corporate shill with a rat fetish spilled some poison on Dave Murray's sandwich in mid July. Murray started forgetting what he'd agreed to and by then end of the month chaos ensued. By mid August, Murray regained consciousness and memory, and found his way.

F

Frankie's Friend

if memory serves me there was also the company upped the ante by publicly posing increased pensions with years of service at any age including part-timers...figures of 3000 a month for 30 years including health benefits..different years of service varied the amounts.......the teamsters somewhat matched this and then went on strike on different issues........too bad the pensions aren't like the mechanics...they do a fine job with their pension and its done with nil for turnover.....
The company's offer was their last ditch effort to break the strike. The pension had already lost over 600 million dollars in the 1st 7 months of the year. The reason Ron matched the amount was because he figured the members would not have enough back bone to turn down the extra $1000. The company started this fight and blew a big hole into a ship that was just barely floating at $2000 a month.

Hopefully this contract wrestling does not precipitate the same greed that sunk the pensions in 97 because a rubber band only stretches so far.

Our local told us from the start of 1997 to expect a strike and to save. At every monthly meeting this point was reinforced. We were told that the Company was wanting to seize control of our pension and we'd be left with an empty bag if that happened.
We were also told more full time jobs needed to be created for Part times ,and that was how the union sold the strike to the public
Considering the condition of some of our pensions now, do you ever wonder if a "company" pension would have been a good idea?

Karma...

keep the pensions away from ups and use their conditions as bargaining points.......remember that ups ceased defined pensions for newer management as of a certain date(?) and in 2023 (?) will stop putting money into those with existing defined pensions..no wonder the state of management is what it is.

Karma...

there are some locals that negotiate their own contracts after the general contract and do a great job....why don't more locals do that and get greater leverage?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Considering the condition of some of our pensions now, do you ever wonder if a "company" pension would have been a good idea?

I still have a 1997 copy of the pension proposal from the company. They would pay 50 dollars per part time service years without the 6 percent deduction and 100 dollars a year full time for 35 years, capped at 35. They would of been able to offset those benefits from your vested time in the Central States from the time you retire instead of waiting till the retiree reaches age 65. Of course everything would be subject to change once the company got total control of your pension.