70 hours is now the new 60

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Okay , I didn't consider the breaks as many feeder driver jobs technically don't have them.

Huh? We get breaks just like package car. Every feeder job schedule I've ever seen has the breaks listed...I never take break at those times but I still take break most days.

Other days I may jibber jabber a little too much building a set and forgoe my break. That way if they get me on camera talking and complain, I can say I was on my break but I forgot to enter it into ivis. Some of these hubs have crazy good camera systems!!!

UPS Preloader

If they weren't running package cars 7 Days a week in your area, I believe driving over 60 hours would be a DOT violation.

You are required to follow one of these two limits:• If your company does not operate vehicles every day of the week, you are not allowed to drive a commercial motor vehicle after you’ve been on duty 60 hours during any 7 consecutive days. Once you reach the 60-hour limit, you will not be able to drive a commercial motor vehicle again until you have dropped below 60 hours for a 7-consecutive-day period. You may do other work, but you cannot do any more driving until you are off duty enough days to get below the limit. Any other hours you work, whether they are for a motor carrier or someone else, must be added to the total.• If your company does operate vehicles every day of the week, your employer may assign you to the 70-hour/8-day schedule. This means that you are not allowed to drive a commercial motor vehicle after you’ve been on duty 70 hours in any 8 consecutive days. Once you reach the 70-hour limit, you will not be able to drive again until you have dropped below 70 hours for an 8-consecutive-day period. You may do other work, but you cannot do any more driving until you get below the limit. Any other hours you work, whether they are for a motor carrier or someone else, must be added to the total.

PACNW

It doesn't, unless a bid sheet is posted ahead of time and proper seniority procedures are followed (offer work from top down then force from bottom up.)

This is what happened in our Center for the last two Saturdays. Enough people signed up Friday morning, so that nobody was forced. Everyone went code 5 and was off the clock by 3pm. Low stops, high miles, easy money.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
They do not operate package cars everyday so technically it is a violation "If your company does not operate vehicles every day of the week, you must follow the 60-hour/7-day limit. If your company operates vehicles every day of the week, you may follow either of the two limits."
So the loop hole they are probably using is feeders operates everyday so that is probably what they are getting away with

542thruNthru

We had several drivers with more than 62 hours who showed up anyway and got their 8 hour gurantee.
Our BA was at the building reminding drivers that (a) they were under no obligation to work and (b) they were entitled to 8 hours pay regardless of their remaining DOT hours.
Our frustration was not that we had to work on Christmas Eve or on a Saturday, it was that our District Operations Manager told us a bald-faced lie at Wednesdays PCM. He said we would be caught up and that only air drivers would be needed on Saturday, when he should have been honest and followed the contract by posting a sign-up list for the work and then forcing from the bottom up rather than allowing people to make holiday plans and then informing us at 5:00 on Friday night that we all had to work the next day.

That's sounds like a good BA to me. There on Xmas eve making sure his people knew what was going on. That's good to hear.

MAKAVELI

If they weren't running package cars 7 Days a week in your area, I believe driving over 60 hours would be a DOT violation.

You are required to follow one of these two limits:• If your company does not operate vehicles every day of the week, you are not allowed to drive a commercial motor vehicle after you’ve been on duty 60 hours during any 7 consecutive days. Once you reach the 60-hour limit, you will not be able to drive a commercial motor vehicle again until you have dropped below 60 hours for a 7-consecutive-day period. You may do other work, but you cannot do any more driving until you are off duty enough days to get below the limit. Any other hours you work, whether they are for a motor carrier or someone else, must be added to the total.• If your company does operate vehicles every day of the week, your employer may assign you to the 70-hour/8-day schedule. This means that you are not allowed to drive a commercial motor vehicle after you’ve been on duty 70 hours in any 8 consecutive days. Once you reach the 70-hour limit, you will not be able to drive again until you have dropped below 70 hours for an 8-consecutive-day period. You may do other work, but you cannot do any more driving until you get below the limit. Any other hours you work, whether they are for a motor carrier or someone else, must be added to the total.
Not true. FedEx Express does not run delivery 7 days a week and we have been on 70/8 for as long as I can remember.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
So there is a double standard?

I never heard a peep about break times in package. Make it to work, no late air, run decent stops per hour and stay off reports for stupid things. Do that and I would rarely talk to my supervisors. The fact they knew I would bend them over if they messed with me without cause probably helped as well.

You also have to realize what feeders do. When a sort 200 miles goes down 90 minutes late I have no problem running straight through to make our preload. The same goes with late air, when the plane is late and we don't leave the ramp until 6:55 AM they are happy most of our drivers will do everything possible to make up time during our drive. In 170 miles I can make up a lot of time in a turned up tractor...UPS won't pay our speeding tickets but most of us will haul ass to try and give preloads and drivers a chance at making service on air.

The other day I hauled a late Amazon load with 18,000 packages on it. Do you think the other hub wanted me to stop on road and take 10 minutes of break and 15 minutes of meal on the way? Our schedule said that's what I should do on my outbound leg. If that trailer is late most those packages are held up until the next days twilight sort.