A lot of talk but...

DOK

Second guy, although I agree with you on health and pension, I believe that this contract is more to do about working conditions than it is about money.
I think a lot of people are upset about the working conditions but the majority will vote with their wallets. We'll see though.

Most people have no idea what’s going, we’ve gotten no info, just word of mouth stuff.

twoweeled

I really hope that the negotiations can get down to work and stop this nonsense. Look at history - other people struck and the jobs went by by. Why would they want a strike vote so early? Can't they figure this stuff out. Sounds more and more like a playground fight. All they are doing is spending everyone's dues. THAT is a travesty.
Seems like a lot of people are having a problem understanding the difference between a strike vote, and a strike authorization vote. Unless something has changed, this is a strike authorization vote.
Also, if you look back into history. Aside from civil service jobs. You'll see workers who pose no threat, received very little, for their little effort. The adage; talk is cheap, really is true.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
The contract will never be allowed to be put out for vote if it is not approved by the International and/or their committees (remember l997). Just too much to lose to risk a fear driven outcome.

The purpose of a strike vote is to draw a line, it is not an extension of the old contract. It would be similar to what the UPS Airline Mechanics have been going through, without the ability to put a work stoppage in action the company will drag their feet with the anticipation of wearing down the membership's resolve.

There is a difference between the airplane mechanics and us. They are under the RLA (Railway Labor Act) and we are under the NLRA (National Labor Relations Act) and both have different rules. The RLA (Fedex,railroads and airlines) requires additional steps before any Union can strike including cooling off periods, required mediation, etc. which stalls any possible job action. That is why all the airlines contracts go over their expiration for years. The Companies just extend things out on the timeline that is protected by law. They don't get serious until they are through those steps.

We may go over a month or so but there will be a job action soon after. The membership will demand it. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump stepped in and claimed it a national issue and stops the strike though.

bowhnterdon

I do not think there will job action. I do believe If is it voted down,we will just work under the old agreement.Until Junior gets tired of waiting and Enforces the Master and whatever supplements that are outstanding ...