A lot of talk but...

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The national being voted down, doesn't mean there will be a strike. Strike would be costly on both sides. So IMO it would be unlikely. But the national being voted down, I think it is very possible.

The contract will never be allowed to be put out for vote if it is not approved by the International and/or their committees (remember l997). Just too much to lose to risk a fear driven outcome.

The purpose of a strike vote is to draw a line, it is not an extension of the old contract. It would be similar to what the UPS Airline Mechanics have been going through, without the ability to put a work stoppage in action the company will drag their feet with the anticipation of wearing down the membership's resolve.

Gimme Danger

Truth be told, they are afraid of their own members and are using the situation to look like

martyrs, for their own political gain and survival.

-Bug-
Afraid of their own members? Definitely not the case in 251, buggie, and I seriously doubt it in 89. Locals with aggressive leaders who fight for their members.
You can even as @wide load how things are in 251.
DT did MT a solid so he can fight harder here. Instead of traveling and waiting for meetings, while DT talks with the company privately and works out concessionary deals.
Our local has a strike going on and multiple organizing drives happening.

Gimme Danger

I have attempted to get more members involved and support officials. Yet the senior members say the union is a waste of time, corrupt, rude, ignorant, arrogant and don’t want to hear anything that may contradict them. The younger members could care less. They think the union is controlled/part of the company and that the BA is part of the company’s HR and they don’t really trust him, lol

If I can’t help the officials and be part of the process because they have made it a closed system then I’m not going to waste my time.

Can I win? Pretty sure I have solid cases. Do I want to spend my own money and years to force them to do what is right? They have a group out there called TDU that already does that. Although I have filed numerous ULP’s and forced them to bend.
My experience has been that the current union leadership rather sink the ship than budge.

The amount of people opting out of being a teamster is growing. Many people rather just donate their union dues to charity.

I really do hope NRTW kicks in. Then union officials will be forced to have closer relationships with the members for them to justify paying dues. Or they will simply fade away. Refusing to evolve to the current times will be 100% fault of their own.

Union democracy gets union officials to work hard. Those who don't work for the members get voted out in favor of those who do. 251 is a great example of democracy.

Right to Work is an attack on unions by corporate power. Don't be fooled.

BigBrown1234

Union democracy gets union officials to work hard. Those who don't work for the members get voted out in favor of those who do. 251 is a great example of democracy.

Right to Work is an attack on unions by corporate power. Don't be fooled.

Right to work is inevitable. The unions need to step their game up or fade away.

I agree with you on democracy. But the union officials are more worried about self preservation. So they facilitate an environment of ignorance.

Just because a slate wins against another slate capitalizing off some conspiracy or flustered members to me is not what the union needs to fix deeper issues.

When the Teamsters were at their highest numbers and strength, you seen a much higher involvement from everyone.

If you have a new slate or team that won in your local still maintaining the 10% status quo then it’s nothing more than the new same ol.

I looked up election results at teamsters local 251. Looks like there is over 6k members and the ST and down won from numbers that range from the highest of 1k to a low of 42. How can anyone be actually proud to be a union official and you only received 42 votes! haha

BigBrown1234

The Teamsters are corporate power

By actual definition you are correct.
But how can you prove this through facts?

After a quick google search you can find the average teamster makes around $35k a year.
My ST base pay is around $140k plus he sits on other union paying appointments. How can he not be embarrassed to take an amount of money that is 4-5 times more than the amount of the average member that he negotiates contracts for? That does sound like corporate greed.
You might be on to something.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
By actual definition you are correct.
But how can you prove this through facts?

After a quick google search you can find the average teamster makes around $35k a year.
My ST base pay is around $140k plus he sits on other union paying appointments. How can he not be embarrassed to take an amount of money that is 4-5 times more than the amount of the average member that he negotiates contracts for? That does sound like corporate greed.
You might be on to something.
It's repulsive and shameful, really. Groupthink leads to ignorant and deluded masses, that's generally what this side of the forum is for.

BigBrown1234

It's repulsive and shameful, really. Groupthink leads to ignorant and deluded masses, that's generally what this side of the forum is for.

You would be surprised at how many members are reading these. Some are evaluating and absorbing the information. Critically thinking, is what one can only hope for.

BigBrown1234

Nice thought but I am a realist and also somewhat cynical. And unfortunately, educated. Teamsters despise that.

I am starting to see this more. Because unionized blue collar work is giving job security and a better economic package than a lot of lower level white collar work. Resulting in a changing demographics, more educated people are pursuing these careers more and more. Unfortunately I have personally witnessed elected officials like Secretary Treasure or BA level, that holds their highest education level at a GED, exhibit themselves insecure around members that society would consider more qualified. Iv even seen officials make derogatory comments against individuals with veterans status.

twoweeled

Not sure why this is so difficult

I’ll ask again

Who do elected union officials work for
The answer to your question, is they are supposed to be working for us. As many of us
can see, whether that is happening or not, is debatable in the very least.

twoweeled

If not he should. Its not like it Was in the sixties and seventies. You would get thrown out, now you don't have to worry about getting beat down. Different area.
Not as different as you may think, in all areas. You may not get that beat down, but you may very well end up out of a job. Those who have been around the block (in certain areas) know this can happen in Locals where UPS and the Local are a little too comfortable with one another. More chummy chum, then adversaries. If you raise a bit of hell with UPS and go around making accusations at union meetings, may god be with you.

Last edited:

Inthegame

I am starting to see this more. Because unionized blue collar work is giving job security and a better economic package than a lot of lower level white collar work. Resulting in a changing demographics, more educated people are pursuing these careers more and more. Unfortunately I have personally witnessed elected officials like Secretary Treasure or BA level, that holds their highest education level at a GED, exhibit themselves insecure around members that society would consider more qualified. Iv even seen officials make derogatory comments against individuals with veterans status.
And they hate puppies and babies.
The only "society" that matters is the members that vote.
Now here's the tough question; if they're as stupid as you claim, compared to the brilliance you've displayed, how on Earth did they get elected and you didn't.
Astounding, beyond belief, simply amazing!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, what former stewards and UPS'ers tell me about our local, plus it's horrible past mafia and gangland stuff, (which still goes on) really puts into perspective the type of people that are running in these elections. It's not something to be proud of. Embarrassing and shameful really. I'll take the high road, whenever possible.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Just my two cents. I do not see anything different than the past several contracts, except this will most likely be voted down mainly because of the involvement of social media. What will be the same is, work under the old agreement until enough people finally say friend it, give me Retro Junior and DT will never call a strike . I believe some of these folks were kicked off because they made too much noise about what is going on behind closed doors
You called it.

as they say ......same BS......different day. actually not funny ......sad.