A strike will be ugly

Maybe I'm just playing devils advocate here, but this has been eating at me for a bit. Do you really think the new drivers would be so quick to cross a picket line? From what I've seen, it's the younger guys who are sick of UPS' :censored2: and are ready to walk. It's the older (40-50) guys who seem to keep believing it's just business as usual. Maybe it's just location, but from where I sit. It's the current/next generation teamster that's going for the no vote. The one's with 20 or so years seem to be content with whittling away their rights...
I see the younger ones complaining about being screwed by the older (40-50) guys. The older guys call it “paying your dues”.

Being an older guy also screwed by other older guys for so long. It is just business usual for me. I, personally don’t have the issues people talk about here.

I can’t get on the 9.5 list, because I rarely work over 9.5. Maybe 10 times in 3 months. 7 of those due to bailing out them older ones (younger than me).

I can get much further with the policy book than with anything the contract could provide.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Maybe I'm just playing devils advocate here, but this has been eating at me for a bit. Do you really think the new drivers would be so quick to cross a picket line? From what I've seen, it's the younger guys who are sick of UPS' :censored2: and are ready to walk. It's the older (40-50) guys who seem to keep believing it's just business as usual. Maybe it's just location, but from where I sit. It's the current/next generation teamster that's going for the no vote. The one's with 20 or so years seem to be content with whittling away their rights...
I was very surprised one evening when I was walking out, and the guy walking behind me had an 8hour that day. I turned and said "what the heck?? Thought you had an 8hour???" He said "it was close enough". Mind you, it was over 9 hours past start time. Older driver. We can bring stops back

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
THE SUPREME COURT ON THE IMPORTANCE OF UNIONS
Long ago we stated the reason for labor organizations. We said that they were organized out of the necessities of the situation; that a single employee was helpless in dealing with an employer; that he was dependent ordinarily on his daily wage for the maintenance of himself and family; that, if the employer refused to pay him the wages that he thought fair, he was nevertheless unable to leave the employ and resist arbitrary and unfair treatment; that union was essential to give laborers opportunity to deal on an equality with their employer.

- Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes, NLRB v. Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp., 301 U.S. 1 (1937).

Integrity. If the offer is a joke. Strike.
It ain't ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
The same young kids that have been fighting our wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and God only know how many other places?
They don’t all work for UPS. Trust me. 3.5 hours for war heros is a blink in the eye. So don’t ever compare the people that have sacrificed their lives with the 80% of part timers that could care less about checking off a box and dropping in a “mailbox”.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They don’t all work for UPS. Trust me. 3.5 hours for war heros is a blink in the eye. So don’t ever compare the people that have sacrificed their lives with the 80% of part timers that could care less about checking off a box and dropping in a “mailbox”.
Listen bud, if you just want to be a cliche old person complaining about the youth, carry on. If you actually care about the union, you need to embrace your younger brothers instead of putting them down all the time.

F

Frankie's Friend

Listen bud, if you just want to be a cliche old person complaining about the youth, carry on. If you actually care about the union, you need to embrace your younger brothers instead of putting them down all the time.
The chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If there is truly a chain. Maybe it's just pieces of chain here and there. Time will tell.
How much time does any of the stewards take to just talk with the part time members at work...to let them know that someone is reaching out to them to let them know they're appreciated?

Brotherhood is the chain. People need to reach out every day and ask their coworkers how they're doing.

wide load

That’s why I teach them to learn and vote while others complain and don’t bother. In my building, I’m harsh when it comes to contract time because when people complain, the first thing I ask is if they vote. Trust me young buck, I’ve done quite a bit for the Teamsters. I guess 43 is old at UPS. Have you heard me say over and over that part timers CAN change a contract. Yet why don’t they? Horse to water bruh!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That’s why I teach them to learn and vote while others complain and don’t bother. In my building, I’m harsh when it comes to contract time because when people complain, the first thing I ask is if they vote. Trust me young buck, I’ve done quite a bit for the Teamsters. I guess 43 is old at UPS. Have you heard me say over and over that part timers CAN change a contract. Yet why don’t they? Horse to water bruh!
43, mkay, I'm mid 30's... Not sure what's with the hate on the xbox then. I put close to 60 in every week and still manage to find time to kill a few hundred nazi zombies. Maybe you're a playstation guy lol.

When it comes to part timers, we're RTW here so I don't know how many are even union. I will say I saw that the minimum strike fund payout would be $150.... makes me feel better about part timers not crossing. That's gotta be close to what some are making now and they wouldn't even have to work for it.

wide load

43, mkay, I'm mid 30's... Not sure what's with the hate on the xbox then. I put close to 60 in every week and still manage to find time to kill a few hundred nazi zombies. Maybe you're a playstation guy lol.

When it comes to part timers, we're RTW here so I don't know how many are even union. I will say I saw that the minimum strike fund payout would be $150.... makes me feel better about part timers not crossing. That's gotta be close to what some are making now and they wouldn't even have to work for it.
Oh I’m an Xbox guy. And of course I still play. On Far Cry 5 as we speak. But I n my own house. Lol. I was making light of the fact that some of our UPS youth will complain about pay yet in our building we have exhausted the 6 for 1 list. Some are older folks are business owners that stay PT for bennies which I understand. But it blows my mind that MOST will work just long enough for a dime bag and complain that they aren’t at 15 per hour. It just boggles my mind. So no hate on the Xbox, just a complaint of the “IDGF” attitude with the 80%ers. Up here in RI and Massachusetts, RTW would probably get punched in the face.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh I’m an Xbox guy. And of course I still play. On Far Cry 5 as we speak. But I n my own house. Lol. I was making light of the fact that some of our UPS youth will complain about pay yet in our building we have exhausted the 6 for 1 list. Some are older folks are business owners that stay PT for bennies which I understand. But it blows my mind that MOST will work just long enough for a dime bag and complain that they aren’t at 15 per hour. It just boggles my mind. So no hate on the Xbox, just a complaint of the “IDGF” attitude with the 80%ers. Up here in RI and Massachusetts, RTW would probably get punched in the face.

RTW might work in the Berkshires (outside of Springfield) but wouldn't stand a chance elsewhere.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The young drivers are the ones with the new F250s and jacked up Chevys living paycheck to paycheck. My strike fund is well stocked. Yes I'm bitter and yes UPS can suck it.