Accident in FedEx box truck

NC man

All accidents are preventable according FedEx . Many yrs ago I was on one way street ,several lanes,a guy cut across several lanes and I slammed him in his drivers door, he was practically sideways coming across. The impact bumped me toward curb into parked car, minimal damage but mgr wrote me up for that! Once impact happened I had no way to avoid parked car beside my lane.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
All accidents are preventable according FedEx . Many yrs ago I was on one way street ,several lanes,a guy cut across several lanes and I slammed him in his drivers door, he was practically sideways coming across. The impact bumped me toward curb into parked car, minimal damage but mgr wrote me up for that! Once impact happened I had no way to avoid parked car beside my lane.
Not entirely accurate, as I’ve had 3 non-preventables in my career.

bacha29

What’s happening is FedEx safety has you set as inactive for safety reasons. A third party is determining if the accident was preventable. They almost always determine it is. Your contractor would need to dispute that finding and provide evidence that through no action or failure to act could you have prevented the accident. That is a very high bar. If he somehow did that he’d have to appeal back to FedEx safety to reinstate you. This being your second accident in as many weeks will make the contractor unlikely to even attempt to dispute the finding. He’s just waiting for the final ruling from the third party to tell you there’s nothing he can do and you’re terminated.
Why don't you just tell the kid the truth. Contractors are nothing more than nonemployee administrators who have no defensible legal standing of their own let alone advocating in behalf of individuals who legally are the employees of the contractor but are subject to the same rules and discipline as Fat Freddy's own direct employees. And despite being subjected to that same set of rules and disciplines because they are legally the contractor's employee that have by design no direct legal channel by which they could litigate their case.

It will be fine

Why don't you just tell the kid the truth. Contractors are nothing more than nonemployee administrators who have no defensible legal standing of their own let alone advocating in behalf of individuals who legally are the employees of the contractor but are subject to the same rules and discipline as Fat Freddy's own direct employees. And despite being subjected to that same set of rules and disciplines because they are legally the contractor's employee that have by design no direct legal channel by which they could litigate their case.
D88ACEE7-B938-491A-BE2D-4117D9939D89.gif

bacha29

FedEx insures the trucks. They have every right to determine who’s qualified to drive them. If you flip a car over you no longer meet the qualifications.
Then why are they not Fedex employees? The fact that they insure the trucks will no doubt be called into question once the debate heats up over what defines a true independent contractor. Moreover sounds to me like you're no longer a contractor but rather you are now simply a labor lessor. And now that you're a labor lessor why are you not permitted to offer your service as a labor lessor to other prospective clients?

It will be fine

Then why are they not Fedex employees? The fact that they insure the trucks will no doubt be called into question once the debate heats up over what defines a true independent contractor. Moreover sounds to me like you're no longer a contractor but rather you are now simply a labor lessor. And now that you're a labor lessor why are you not permitted to offer your service as a labor lessor to other prospective clients?
Stupid arguments have their own thread. Try to contain yourself.

bacha29

Stupid arguments have their own thread. Try to contain yourself.
Don't worry about me. Just be prepared for the questions I'm raising to be brought before congressional committees in the days ahead and the impact they could have on the so called "business" so called "company" and so called "independent contractor" status which you are currently classified.

AB831

I drive a 12ft box truck for FedEx got into a accident where I bumped a girl switching lanes didnt see her even my boss said I could of looked in the mirror 10 times still wouldn’t of seen her done nothing to truck; left a soft ball dent on car with little scratch nothing major. The. About two weeks later I got into another accident. Stopped at a stop sign really couldn’t see cause of y’all hedge bushes so pulled up some looked both ways pulled out end up hitting tail end of dude truck where he end up flipping a couple times. Will I be fired have heard anything about termination yet been a week since the accident. The other driver truck is totaled and he some fractures and some cuts from what my boss has told me.
Take everyone else’s advice and find a different job. It’ll take you about a week to realize it’s the best decision you ever made.

dmac1

Head for the unemployment office and apply for benefits now. I don't think that having an accident that results in termination from your job is grounds to deny benefits unless you were high or drunk. Being a terrible driver is not your fault.

FedGT

Head for the unemployment office and apply for benefits now. I don't think that having an accident that results in termination from your job is grounds to deny benefits unless you were high or drunk. Being a terrible driver is not your fault.
“Being a terrible driver is not your fault”??????? Are you in the everyone gets a medal generation?
When you are alone and the person behind the wheel it is 100% your fault whether you are a great driver or terrible driver. Who else would be to blame?

It will be fine

Terminated for cause that creates a financial burden on the employer is certainly grounds to deny unemployment in my state.

falcon back

Don't worry about me. Just be prepared for the questions I'm raising to be brought before congressional committees in the days ahead and the impact they could have on the so called "business" so called "company" and so called "independent contractor" status which you are currently classified.
So you are gonna testify before Congress? Is that before or after you go advise Warren Buffett on what his next stock move should be?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ummm, how is being a terrible driver not his fault?

FedexGirl

This job - sheesh - I know some mornings, leaving the station, drivers behind me get frustrated waiting for me to pull out in traffic - but friend them - I go when it’s safe. The better part of valor is discretion!