Air Conditioning

tom19382

Hi, I was wondering if any UPS trucks out there have A/C in them besides the feeders. Our building got some new Sprinters in this year and they still had the window sticker on them. A/C comes standard on them and the sticker showed that UPS paid extra to have it deleted! Why do they go out of their way to make our jobs more miserable? My job wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the awful heat every summer. FedEx and DHL take care of their drivers around here and give them A/C.

We got a few new sprinters a couple years ago and the AC was removed from them as well. It's because it's an all or none kind of deal. They can't have AC in only a few trucks and not the rest. Imagine the grievances filed on that one...

It's too bad though, because the air flow in the Sprinters really sucks. They're probably hotter than the package cars. I've driven both and in the summer I'll take a 25 year old p500 with 350,000 miles over a sprinter any day. In the WINTER however, those tight sealing doors and windows sure do keep them nice and cozy.... :thumbup1:

upsgrunt

We got a few new sprinters a couple years ago and the AC was removed from them as well. It's because it's an all or none kind of deal. They can't have AC in only a few trucks and not the rest. Imagine the grievances filed on that one...

It's too bad though, because the air flow in the Sprinters really sucks. They're probably hotter than the package cars. I've driven both and in the summer I'll take a 25 year old p500 with 350,000 miles over a sprinter any day. In the WINTER however, those tight sealing doors and windows sure do keep them nice and cozy.... :thumbup1:

If that is the case, why shouldn't all package cars either have power steering or NOT have power steering?:crying:

I have no good response for that, I was just echoing a response that was given to me on the AC issue when I asked why it had been removed. I would assume that the power steering is something that can be considered essential to a new vehicle's operation ( in that it can't just be removed like the compressor for the AC unit ) and if I'm not mistaken, I think there is contract language stipulating that new vehicles have it.

Where power steering may be considered a necessity, AC would be seen as a luxury.... Just a guess.

Leragie

I don't think having air conditioning in the truck would make that much of a difference for me. The longest my truck stays running at one time is like two minutes. It gets over 110 here during the summer and I'm probably out of the truck and in the back of the truck more than I am in the drivers seat. Air conditioning would only be good during break time. Anyways, no, none of the trucks at my center have air.

Pip

If that is the case, why shouldn't all package cars either have power steering or NOT have power steering?:crying:

Power steering is slowly being phased in, along with automatic tranny's. This is due to langauge is a past contract(might have been 97' contract). Power steering, standard transmissions and low steps are/will be slowly phased out as those cars come up for ADA(being crushed).

Keep in mind that a package cars life, on average is usually 20 years give or take a couple years. By the year 2017, package cars with manual steering, manual tranny's, and high steppers will be a thing of the past or for the most part few and far between.

Far as A/C in package cars,with the present A/C systems, it really isn't practical. The amount of stopping and starting on any given route would not allow you to get the full benefit of A/C. The added costs is another thing to take into consideration, this is probably the biggest factor. Then you have the health factor, having a cold most of the summer from hopping in and out of the A/C when your all sweated up will take it's toll.

Raw

Raw Member
Hi, I was wondering if any UPS trucks out there have A/C in them besides the feeders. Our building got some new Sprinters in this year and they still had the window sticker on them. A/C comes standard on them and the sticker showed that UPS paid extra to have it deleted! Why do they go out of their way to make our jobs more miserable? My job wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the awful heat every summer. FedEx and DHL take care of their drivers around here and give them A/C.
Boo-hoo, cry me a river! Your post makes me sick and nauseous. Obviously your not driver material so go find a desk job somewhere.

I knew I remembered some contract language stipulating those things....

Then you have the health factor, having a cold most of the summer from hopping in and out of the A/C when your all sweated up will take it's toll.

Just an FYI... You can't catch a cold just from being cold. It's a virus. :wink:

You CAN however, catch a cold from the receptionist that sneezes all over your diad while she signs it and then hands it back to you... :bored:

Megansman

Yeah we'd all love to have A/C but it just isn't practical... think about your POV -- how long does it take to cool off? Factor in a blast of heat every time the bulk head door is opened and you can see it just won't work.

browniehound

I think the contract reads that every package car put into service after 1997 will be power steering. I also agree that AC is just not practical. This doesn't stop the fed-ex guy from leaving his truck running while he is at a stop for 10 minutes, lol.

And, no, you can't catch a cold from the cold but it weakens your immune system so you are more prone to catching the virus. And people who cough into their hands make me sick (literally and figuratively). Don't they know they are putting germs on that hand they are going shake with???? Please people, cover your cough or sneeze with anything but your hand!

mis_load

A/C isn't practical on our cars. We stop and start to much. I would rather not have a/c. But I would like to see better ventilation in the package part of the cars. Just last week we have heat index of 105 to 115 every day. Temps were in the high 90's. Ventilation in the back would be better than a/c. Also, would like to see some type of fan in the cab area to move our stagnant air.

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's not a "making the driver miserable" issue. It's a cost factor issue. If the vehicles had A/C then that is more maintenance on the truck. It cost more to maintain A/C in the vehicle and it also cost more to pay the guy maintaining it. Why is it always a "poor me" issue with drivers?

dragracer66

Go work there then!!!!!

Last summer I was walking past a guy in his van, he was installing an air conditioner in a house. He was joking about how he could put one in my truck. (It was pretty warm that day, about 105) I said "I wish" He said that the body couldn't handle the temp. change 200 times a day. Hot, cold, hot, cold.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
A/C isn't practical on our cars. We stop and start to much. I would rather not have a/c. But I would like to see better ventilation in the package part of the cars. Just last week we have heat index of 105 to 115 every day. Temps were in the high 90's. Ventilation in the back would be better than a/c. Also, would like to see some type of fan in the cab area to move our stagnant air.

Man, you guys don't have dash fans? That sucks. We gripe about them just blowing hot air around, but believe me, when you get a car that has a broken one or none at all, you're eternally grateful when you get one. Especially when stopped in traffic.

upsgrunt

Man, you guys don't have dash fans? That sucks. We gripe about them just blowing hot air around, but believe me, when you get a car that has a broken one or none at all, you're eternally grateful when you get one. Especially when stopped in traffic.

No crap! I would give up my shoes before I gave up my dash fan. Just ask your mechanic- I think that it was part of the last contract concession that UPS has to provide them on request. I put a water mister above mine and turn it on occasionally and it really cools the air around you. You wouldn't believe the difference!

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to tell people that asked if we had air conditioning "why would UPS give us air in the summer when we barely had heat in the winter". My old 6 cube was so drafty I had to slow down to be able to light a cig. A dash fan was a life saver in the summer. Except when you forgot your lit cig was stuck in the cage and when you started it up it fell into the fan and blew hot ashes all over you. That always woke you up in a hurry.