AMMUNATION

bbsam

Staff member
Correlation does not imply causation.
The fact that a particular weapon was used in a mass shooting does not automatically infer that the outcome of that shooting would have changed had a different weapon been used. Particularly when the only differences between weapons are cosmetic rather than functional.
Take Sandy Hook for example. Lanza could have killed just as many people with a revolver and a double barrel shotgun from the late 1800's as he did with his AR 15. His victims were unarmed teachers, and children who had nowhere to run to. The only thing that would have changed the outcome was an armed teacher.
But that is not the weapon Lanza chose now was it? Which mass shooters choose not to use what the media likes to call assault rifles? They don't see themselves as Andy Taylor. They see themselves as Steven Segal.

bbsam

Staff member
I said constitutionally they could not be banned. The proof is in the pudding currently. Define "assault weapon."
The weapons mass shooters choose. Cuz the mass shooters don't choose baseball bats no matter how ridiculous you want to be.

bbsam

Staff member
The argument seems to be if the government takes away one kind of gun, it won't be long that they'll be after another kind of gun or all guns. I don't own a gun, but family members do and my grandfather had a nice collection. I don't get why guns that can kill a lot of people fast were ever allowed into the population. And bump stocks that turn semi-automatics into nearly full automatics are insane. People can defend themselves with a pistol, a shotgun, whatever. But guns designed to kill a lot of people fast are always being used by those that want to do just that. The genie may be out of the bottle, but we can at least stop the manufacture and sell of such guns and stocks. And put huge penalties on owners of such weapons who's family members use them to hurt others. That won't stop the owners who use them that way, but if properly locked up might stop some killings. I just don't think you're going to see millions of Americans voluntarily handing them over and trying to force that plays right into the hands of those who believe some in the government are trying to enslave us. You would definitely see some mass killing then.
I've never believed in confiscation. But to hear over and over that gun rights mean we just have to put up with these killings is ludicrous. And to hear the same individuals talking about mental health while taking away access to health care AND mental health care is absolutely insane.

vantexan

I've never believed in confiscation. But to hear over and over that gun rights mean we just have to put up with these killings is ludicrous.
I agree but you're never going to get all guns. But I for one think any gun designed to kill a lot of people quickly should be banned. There might be those who do, but I doubt most hunters are using AR-15's.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You are saying that the assault weapons ban never took place?
The "assault weapons ban" never banned assault weapons.

All it did was ban the importation or manufacture of high capacity magazines, or semi-automatic guns with certain cosmetic features irrelevant to their lethality.

I legally bought and sold such guns, as well as high capacity magazines, during the entire 10 year period that the "ban" was in place.

floridays

All it did was ban the importation or manufacture of high capacity magazines, or semi-automatic guns with certain cosmetic features irrelevant to their lethality.

I legally bought and sold such guns, as well as high capacity magazines, during the entire 10 year period that the "ban" was in place.
Bingo.

bbsam

Staff member

So maybe they'll do a better job next time.

bbsam

Staff member
You've already been there, respond to mass murder by (assault) fertilizer.

No we don't. List please.
How many murders have been committed in the last 10 years with assault fertilizer? Once that is answered I can tell you if it should be banned.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've never believed in confiscation. But to hear over and over that gun rights mean we just have to put up with these killings is ludicrous. And to hear the same individuals talking about mental health while taking away access to health care AND mental health care is absolutely insane.
The weapons mass shooters choose. Cuz the mass shooters don't choose baseball bats no matter how ridiculous you want to be.
Anders Breivik killed 69 people in Norway with a Ruger Mini-14, which is legal even in states like Illinois and California.
Charles Whitman killed 16 people from the clock tower at the University of Texas in 1967. He used a bolt action hunting rifle with a 3 round magazine.
Timothy McVeigh killed 163 people with a Uhaul full of fertilizer and diesel fuel.
For the last time: banning black pieces of plastic doesn't keep people safe. Calling for bans on black pieces of plastic does cause Presidential candidates to lose elections though.

floridays

How many murders have been committed in the last 10 years with assault fertilizer? Once that is answered I can tell you if it should be banned.
I love when someone defines the perimeters to exclude something they would like to ignore. I won't play your silly game and will answer the Oklahoma City bombing, the Murrah Building. For guys that like to grow things ammonium nitrate is no longer readily available. It was an act perpetrated with "assault fertilizer."