AMMUNATION

bbsam

Staff member
Unintended consequences from knee jerk laws also. I can easily deduce you have never produced anything of value using ammonium nitrate. You just keep cutting the grass, and leave it to the fellows that know how to grow things to keep your mower runnin.
Lol. I'll think of that the next time I'm tearing down a Yanmar 3 cylinder or overhauling the transaxle on an old John Deere 2210.

bbsam

Staff member
3D printers are coming down in price, and 3D printed AR-15 lowers are approaching conventional ones in terms of quality and utility. And since you can pretty much make as many as you want once you have the printer, lower quality would be irrelevant if a ban was ever implemented.
Unless the damn thing blows up in your hand.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How so? A ban on sales is not confiscation.
A ban on sales would not prevent a mass murderer with premeditated intent from obtaining or building an AR-15.

Nor would it prevent a mass murderer from choosing an equally lethal, functionally identical weapon lacking the black plastic cosmetic features of an AR-15, such as Anders Breivik did in Norway with his Ruger Mini 14.

If, as you say, you want to prevent someone from having the firepower to kill 60 and wound 500 from the 30th floor...you will have to ban the sale of, as well as confiscate, all semi-automatic rifles that are currently owned in this country. Not just the scary looking black ones.

Good luck with that.

bbsam

Staff member
A ban on sales would not prevent a mass murderer with premeditated intent from obtaining or building an AR-15.

Nor would it prevent a mass murderer from choosing an equally lethal, functionally identical weapon lacking the black plastic cosmetic features of an AR-15, such as Anders Breivik did in Norway with his Ruger Mini 14.

If, as you say, you want to prevent someone from having the firepower to kill 60 and wound 500 from the 30th floor...you will have to ban the sale of, as well as confiscate, all semi-automatic rifles that are currently owned in this country. Not just the scary looking black ones.

Good luck with that.
Only the scary looking black ones appeal to the crazies.

floridays

Lol. I'll think of that the next time I'm tearing down a Yanmar 3 cylinder or overhauling the transaxle on an old John Deere 2210.
Great, never alluded to mechanical ability. You cut grass, don't have a clue how to grow it, If you did you would understand the loss felt by turf managers and farmers by the knee jerk ban. Post 101 fella, quit dodging.

bbsam

Staff member
Great, never alluded to mechanical ability. You cut grass, don't have a clue how to grow it, If you did you would understand the loss felt by turf managers and farmers by the knee jerk ban. Post 101 fella, quit dodging.
Hard to know. We have a local turf company fertilize and control weeds. They do a good job. Not sure if they use mass murdering fertilizer or not.

floridays

Good luck with that.[/QUOTE]
Hard to know. We have a local turf company fertilize and control weeds. They do a good job. Not sure if they use mass murdering fertilizer or not.
You made my point, you can be replaced by an 11 year old or 80 year old granny..... at the soccer fields. Back to post 101.

soberups

Only the scary looking black ones appeal to the crazies.
A fact which, while partially true, is also wholly irrelevant.

You are falling into the flawed mindset that possession of an inantimate object somehow automatically alters the mental state of a person and destroys their empathy and their normal human inhibitions against the taking of a human life.

You are discriminating against a weapon based upon irrelevant factors such as its color and appearance rather than its function and method of operation.

You are assuming that a person...with the long-term premeditated intent, the desire, and the willingness to follow through on an act of mass slaughter...would somehow be prevented or dissuaded from doing so simply by making certain guns more inconvenient to obtain or by prohibiting cosmetic features on those guns.

That assumption is flawed.

floridays

You are falling into the flawed mindset that possession of an inantimate object somehow automatically alters the mental state of a person and destroys their empathy and their normal human inhibitions against the taking of a human life.

You are discriminating against a weapon based upon irrelevant factors such as its color and appearance rather than its function and method of operation.

You are assuming that a person...with the long-term premeditated intent, the desire, and the willingness to follow through on an act of mass slaughter...would somehow be prevented or dissuaded from doing so simply by making certain guns more inconvenient to obtain or by prohibiting cosmetic features on those guns.

My question would be, "How many Ar15's or similar semi-automatic weapons are currently owned, and how many offences (mass or otherwise) have been committed using the same. Statistically negligible would be the answer, and the only link to these atrocities is the mind of the perpetrator, not the hardware used.

BrownArmy

You make cogent arguments against gun ‘control’.

I tend to agree with your logic.

Sooo...what do you propose?

We have a mass-shooting problem in America, which can’t be explained away by ‘mental health’ issues...developed countries such as the USA have similar rates of mental illness, yet they don’t have the mass shooting problem we do.

Upon analysis, the only outlying factor that separates us from them is the sheer amount of guns here in the States.

If you agree we have a mass-shooting problem, and you dismiss gun-control as a solution, what do you propose?

This isn’t a trick question, I’d like to hear your thoughts.

vantexan

Good luck with that.
Or limit all buildings to 29 floors.

soberups

You make cogent arguments against gun ‘control’.

I tend to agree with your logic.

Sooo...what do you propose?

We have a mass-shooting problem in America, which can’t be explained away by ‘mental health’ issues...developed countries such as the USA have similar rates of mental illness, yet they don’t have the mass shooting problem we do.

Upon analysis, the only outlying factor that separates us from them is the sheer amount of guns here in the States.

If you agree we have a mass-shooting problem, and you dismiss gun-control as a solution, what do you propose?

This isn’t a trick question, I’d like to hear your thoughts.
First off, I have no problem with mandatory background checks. And I am willing to have discussions about other regulations as well.
But the bigger issue I see is toxic masculinity, and angry right wing disaffected men who no longer have the healthy relationships or peer groups that were formerly afforded by work and other social outlets.
More and more men are sitting at home, on the Internet, in right-wing echo chambers of their own creation that destroy empathy and discourage critical thinking or healthy, face to face interactions with different people. Many are stuck in low wage jobs with no prospect for advancement and have been rejected by women. So they seek scapegoats, and find them in women and minorities.
For the first time ever we have an entire generation of men who have grown up in a war culture, watching violent movies, violent TV shows and playing graphically violent, dehumanizing video games whose only purpose is to rack up an ever larger body count.
It is also human nature to desire and seek that which we fear will soon become unobtainable, either thru scarcity or government prohibition. This phenomenon holds true whether the item in question is a Beanie Baby or an AR-15. There is a reason that gun sales and gun manufacturer stocks took a nosedive the day Trump got elected. Hysterical and nonsensical calls for gun bans by the left do nothing but create a self-fullfilling prophecy of anti-government paranoia and demand for even more guns by the right.
So its not the guns, its our society that has spawned a generation of these sick, angry people who feel like their only opportunity to make a difference in life is to kill people.

floridays

First off, I have no problem with mandatory background checks. And I am willing to have discussions about other regulations as well.
But the bigger issue I see is toxic masculinity, and angry right wing disaffected men who no longer have the healthy relationships or peer groups that were formerly afforded by work and other social outlets.
More and more men are sitting at home, on the Internet, in right-wing echo chambers of their own creation that destroy empathy and discourage critical thinking or healthy, face to face interactions with different people. Many are stuck in low wage jobs with no prospect for advancement and have been rejected by women. So they seek scapegoats, and find them in women and minorities.
For the first time ever we have an entire generation of men who have grown up in a war culture, watching violent movies, violent TV shows and playing graphically violent, dehumanizing video games whose only purpose is to rack up an ever larger body count.
It is also human nature to desire and seek that which we fear will soon become unobtainable, either thru scarcity or government prohibition. This phenomenon holds true whether the item in question is a Beanie Baby or an AR-15. There is a reason that gun sales and gun manufacturer stocks took a nosedive the day Trump got elected. Hysterical and nonsensical calls for gun bans by the left do nothing but create a self-fullfilling prophecy of anti-government paranoia and demand for even more guns by the right.
So its not the guns, its our society that has spawned a generation of these sick, angry people who feel like their only opportunity to make a difference in life is to kill people.
Seems to me most wacko shooters are leftist, but correct me if I'm wrong.

vantexan

If it were true on the scale you suggest it would happen much more often by the kind of guy you described. The kid who shot up the classroom in Connecticut wasn't what you described. Nor was the one who shot up the theater in Colorado. Nor the one who shot up the gay nightclub in Florida. It would seem you're interested in characterizing men on the right a certain way. Where are the right wing crazies doing all these things you claim?

BrownArmy

OK.

I generally agree with your post.

The raging cynic in me says that we’re just going to have to get used to these mass-shootings, because our society won’t or can’t change.

You’re description of our society is correct.

Banning guns won’t change it, addressing ‘mental health’ won’t change it, so this truly is the ‘price of freedom’.

Sad!

floridays

If it were true on the scale you suggest it would happen much more often by the kind of guy you described. The kid who shot up the classroom in Connecticut wasn't what you described. Nor was the one who shot up the theater in Colorado. Nor the one who shot up the gay nightclub in Florida. It would seem you're interested in characterizing men on the right a certain way. Where are the right wing crazies doing all these things you claim?
Excellent Van, expect no response.

BrownArmy

My question would be, "How many Ar15's or similar semi-automatic weapons are currently owned, and how many offences (mass or otherwise) have been committed using the same. Statistically negligible would be the answer, and the only link to these atrocities is the mind of the perpetrator, not the hardware used.

AR-15 mass-shootings get the most press, but simple hand gun deaths are the winner, day to day.

Sad.