AMMUNATION

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So maybe they'll do a better job next time.
If you knew anything about guns, you would understand the futility of wishing for a "next time."
Humor me. Google "AR-15 3-D printer" and "AR-15 80% lower" and spend about 15 or 20 minutes doing some honest research for yourself.

If you dont have time, here is the Cliff Notes version: A person can now use a 3D printer and open source software to manufacture an AR-15 lower (the regulated part, with a serial number, that everything else attaches to) in their own basement, with no records, no background check, no serial number, no nothing. Once you have a finished lower, its a simple matter of assembling the remaining bits and pieces. If you can put Legos together you can build an AR-15.
If you cant afford a 3-D printer, you can spend about $50 on an "80% lower" with no serial number or regulation or recordkeeping. Its basically a piece of metal in the shape of a receiver that is only 80% complete and thus exempt from regulation. The remaining work can be completed using a jig and a hand drill, with plenty of tutorials on YouTube showing you how.

Go ahead and try to ban "assault weapons". It wont keep bad guys from getting them. The GOP wont pass it, and Trump wouldnt sign it even if they did. The only thing you are going to accomplish by even trying...is to keep Trump in office for 4 more years.

floridays

How many murders have been committed in the last 10 years with assault fertilizer? Once that is answered I can tell you if it should be banned.
For the most part (ammonium nitrate) is banned. Glad you just cut the soccer fields, and don't actually try to grow the grass.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you knew anything about guns, you would understand the futility of wishing for a "next time."
Humor me. Google "AR-15 3-D printer" and "AR-15 80% lower" and spend about 15 or 20 minutes doing some honest research for yourself.

If you dont have time, here is the Cliff Notes version: A person can now use a 3D printer and open source software to manufacture an AR-15 lower (the regulated part, with a serial number, that everything else attaches to) in their own basement, with no records, no background check, no serial number, no nothing. Once you have a finished lower, its a simple matter of assembling the remaining bits and pieces. If you can put Legos together you can build an AR-15.
If you cant afford a 3-D printer, you can spend about $50 on an "80% lower" with no serial number or regulation or recordkeeping. Its basically a piece of metal in the shape of a receiver that is only 80% complete and thus exempt from regulation. The remaining work can be completed using a jig and a hand drill, with plenty of tutorials on YouTube showing you how.

Go ahead and try to ban "assault weapons". It wont keep bad guys from getting them. The GOP wont pass it, and Trump wouldnt sign it even if they did. The only thing you are going to accomplish by even trying...is to keep Trump in office for 4 more years.

Absolutely legal to make one of those unregistered guns. The only catch is it can never legally be transferred to anyone else.

bbsam

Staff member

So Joe Gunowner will want a banned weapon so badly that he'll purchase a 3D printer, build the weapon that he can't legally own, use, or sell? And this will happen millions of times over every year to rival previous yearly sales?

And gun manufacturers won't push legislators to clamp down and kill that practice?

Trump (if he lasts until 2020) will not win in 2020.

oldngray

nowhere special
I've seen those on the web. Not nearly as sexy and cool as an AR-15. If they were, why not more 3D printed guns.

The 3D printed guns you see on the web are mostly proof of concept junk.

If you want an unregistered AR-15 get an unfinished lower and finish it yourself. Legal but unregistered.

soberups

So maybe they'll do a better job next time.
Let me cue you in to a sobering reality.

There are, currently, many many tens of millions of unregistered "assault weapons" in the hands of militia members/KKK/alt-right/Nazi type groups.

These groups are paranoid, they are racist, they are homophobic, and they utterly despise the Federal government.

There is absolutely no way they will ever turn these guns in to that government. Ever. Indeed, the calls for bans and confiscation are what serve as a rallying point for many of these groups to exist in the first place.

I would ask you to carefully consider the long-term
consequences of living in a society where the law-abiding have been at least partially disarmed and where hate groups who refused to turn their weapons in have essentially been given a monopoly on that sort of firepower.

I also find it ironic and dangerously naive when a liberal/minority population with a justified fear of and abhorrence to police brutality and bias takes the position that (a) the police are the only ones who should be armed and (b) the police can be relied upon to protect them from the supremacist groups who have not, and will not, turn their guns in.

Last edited:

soberups

So Joe Gunowner will want a banned weapon so badly that he'll purchase a 3D printer, build the weapon that he can't legally own, use, or sell? And this will happen millions of times over every year to rival previous yearly sales?

And gun manufacturers won't push legislators to clamp down and kill that practice?

Trump (if he lasts until 2020) will not win in 2020.
No. But Joe Gunowner isn't the one doing the mass shootings either. The mass shootings are being done by sick people who spend weeks, months or even years fantasizing about and planning for their crimes...crimes they are willing to die committing. It is naive and ridiculous to think that they will be deterred from such acts simply because it has been made slightly more inconvenient for them to obtain certain rifles.

bbsam

Staff member
Let me cue you in to a sobering reality.

There are, currently, many many tens of millions of unregistered "assault weapons" in the hands of militia members/KKK/alt-right/Nazi type groups.

These groups are paranoid, they are racist, they are homophobic, and they utterly despise the Federal government.

There is absolutely no way they will ever turn these guns in to that government. Ever. Indeed, the calls for bans and confiscation are what serve as a rallying point for many of these groups to exist in the first place.

I would ask you to carefully consider the long-term
consequences of living in a society where the law-abiding have been at least partially disarmed and where hate groups who refused to turn their weapons in have essentially been given a monopoly on that sort of firepower.

I also find it ironic and dangerously naive when a liberal/minority population with a justified fear of and abhorrence to police brutality and bias takes the position that (a) the police are the only ones who should be armed and (b) the police can be relied upon to protect them from the supremacist groups who have not, and will not, turned their guns in.
Again. I'm not in favor of confiscation. I'm not in favor of only the police being armed.

I am also not in favor of a single gunman on the 30th floor having the firepower to kill 60 and wound 500 in a dozen minutes.

floridays

Well good. Then I guess we don't have to worry about mass murders with it, do we?
Unintended consequences from knee jerk laws also. I can easily deduce you have never produced anything of value using ammonium nitrate. You just keep cutting the grass, and leave it to the fellows that know how to grow things to keep your mower runnin.

soberups

Again. I'm not in favor of confiscation. I'm not in favor of only the police being armed.

I am also not in favor of a single gunman on the 30th floor having the firepower to kill 60 and wound 500 in a dozen minutes.
Unfortunately, you are contradicting yourself.

bbsam

Staff member
No. But Joe Gunowner isn't the one doing the mass shootings either. The mass shootings are being done by sick people who spend weeks, months or even years fantasizing about and planning for their crimes...crimes they are willing to die committing. It is naive and ridiculous to think that they will be deterred from such acts simply because it has been made slightly more inconvenient for them to obtain certain rifles.
Exactly. But if only the crazies are looking to get the assault weapon, the price goes from what 800 to several thousand once supply is choked?

And apparently plastic guns kinda suck.

$1200: The price of (legally) 3D printing your own metal AR-15 rifle at home - ExtremeTech

soberups

The 3D printed guns you see on the web are mostly proof of concept junk.

If you want an unregistered AR-15 get an unfinished lower and finish it yourself. Legal but unregistered.
3D printers are coming down in price, and 3D printed AR-15 lowers are approaching conventional ones in terms of quality and utility. And since you can pretty much make as many as you want once you have the printer, lower quality would be irrelevant if a ban was ever implemented.