An Unjustified Competitive Advantage

fedx

Extra Large Package
It truly defies common sense and logic. FedEx is basically trying to get out of the delivery business and be purely a logistics/broker business.

So if they have different airlines delivering or shipping freight at different times and at different terminals, how are they going to retrieve or ship all that stuff, especially when it's time specific? They would need multiple vehicles going to various airlines at their ramp to retrieve or ship parcels. Seems like a logistical nightmare. How would it get sorted if it's not going to a central hub like Memphis or Indy? I guess they would just ship it directly to the ramp at the package's destination. I just don't think it could be done in a time sensitive manner.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

So if they have different airlines delivering or shipping freight at different times and at different terminals, how are they going to retrieve that stuff, especially when it's time specific? They would need multiple vehicles going to various airlines at their ramp to retrieve or unload parcels. Seems like a logistical nightmare.
I don't think Raj and the rest of upper management know their ass from a hole in the ground.

fedx

Extra Large Package
According to the article it's in the works. Probably goes hand in hand with parking planes and cutting routes.

Next they'll probably try to hire Uber/Lyft/Door Dash drivers to deliver their stuff instead of couriers. FedEx pilots have a union, so I don't think they'll be going along with this idea of putting freight on passenger planes. They will go on strike and stop the shipments all together before this new idea can get implemented.

Last edited:

yadadamean116

But when I worked for crappy FedEx the workers always told me don’t switch to ups you have to pay union dues!!!! Now I live in a mansion with a helicopter pad on my bedroom roof

fedx

Extra Large Package
But when I worked for crappy FedEx the workers always told me don’t switch to ups you have to pay union dues!!!! Now I live in a mansion with a helicopter pad on my bedroom roof

It's way better to NOT have a union than to make $40/hr and have to pay $80 a month in union dues. Only an idiot would want to make $40/hr and pay union dues. I'll take being poor any day over having some damn union. If my corporation says "union bad" then you can take that to the bank.

yadadamean116

It's way better to NOT have a union than to make $40/hr and have to pay $80 a month in union dues. Only an idiot would want to make $40/hr and pay union dues. I'll take being poor any day over having some damn union. If my corporation says "union bad" then you can take that to the bank.
How dare you! $42 an hour

bacha29

It truly defies common sense and logic. FedEx is basically trying to get out of the delivery business and be purely a logistics/broker business.
It would appear that Raj and Fat Freddy are sending a very clear message and it goes something like this: "The standard air box business is simply becoming too expensive to operate. It is a business that is about as big as it's going to get. It along with profitability are going to slowly regress over the years ahead. Therefore we're going to keep Ground, Freight and the higher margin critical air freight segment for ourselves. Standard air cargo will be farmed out to third party air cargo contractors with the goal to eventually spin it off into it's own separate free standing company"

The news will no doubt shock a lot of people in that OPCO who had it pretty sweet for a long time.
Perhaps best described in a song by Warren Zevon.." Send lawyers, guns and money....The :censored2: has hit the fan".

zeev

How dare you! $42 an hour
It must be the schools don’t teach math skills ,union dues for millions of dollars of compensation over a career. In the old days at least it was close now multiple step plan, healthcare leaving people with thousands of dollars in bills, no pension but enhanced 401k that can be changed at anytime, also 150.00 a month penalty if spouse has healthcare

yadig

It must be the schools don’t teach math skills ,union dues for millions of dollars of compensation over a career. In the old days at least it was close now multiple step plan, healthcare leaving people with thousands of dollars in bills, no pension but enhanced 401k that can be changed at anytime, also 150.00 a month penalty if spouse has healthcare
It’s only gonna get worse

Mutineer

Next they'll probably try to hire Uber/Lyft/Door Dash drivers to deliver their stuff instead of couriers.

Yes. Why not try it and see?

Angry customers shall not be a deterrent to progress. And their shrill voices are no match for inevitably changing times!

Potential Uber/Lyft/Door Dash peasants are in infinite supply.

Single mom?

With a druggie/drunk/schizo/loser baby daddy?

Too ugly to shake it and make it on onlyfans?

Fill yer Hyundai with FedEx/Door Dash and make rent!

Too stupid to figure out a Thomas Guide and plot a route?

Yeah... those days are over. No more living in the past! Just follow the voice commands on yer fancy phone!

SmithBarney

SMH.

What do Express couriers do? They pick up and deliver Express packages. Why is this so hard to comprehend?
Define Express Packages? 1day? 2 day? 3day? if it flies? We have plenty of P1,P2 packages that never leave the ground, does that make them Ground packages?

purplelife

Angry customers shall not be a deterrent to progress. And their shrill voices are no match for inevitably changing times!

Single mom?

Yeah... those days are over. No more living in the past! Just follow the voice commands on yer fancy phone!
There are already several companies that do it that way. No where near the scale of fedex but it's working.

bacha29

So if they have different airlines delivering or shipping freight at different times and at different terminals, how are they going to retrieve or ship all that stuff, especially when it's time specific? They would need multiple vehicles going to various airlines at their ramp to retrieve or ship parcels. Seems like a logistical nightmare. How would it get sorted if it's not going to a central hub like Memphis or Indy? I guess they would just ship it directly to the ramp at the package's destination. I just don't think it could be done in a time sensitive manner.
Chances are you see something other than a Fedex Express plane parked at the major ramps loading slot. Atlas. MESA ATG or just about anyone with a cargo plane. It's going to be scheduling nightmare and the air equivalent of trip leasing For Ground it will mean guys driving around doing nothing but pickups then heading back a lot earlier than many Ground guys normally head back. Trouble for rural areas and everyone wanting that late afternoon pickups but stops 30 miles or more apart it will mean needing a lot more dispatched trucks but coming in early with not a lot on them.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Single mom?

Q: What happens when @bacha29 gets her wish and ICE vehicles are outlawed, and the Power Grid is overwhelmed?

A: Nuclear powered robots.

Mutineer

Q: What happens when @bacha29 gets her wish and ICE vehicles are outlawed, and the Power Grid is overwhelmed?

A: Nuclear powered robots.

That outcome, or a worse one would not surprise me. Irony, unintended consequences, and Pyrrhic victories is the resume of our species.

Had Homo Sapiens not evolved and/or been blessed with a capacity to forgive, a fighting spirit, and a sense of humor, we would've died off long ago.