BAD NEWS: UPS just threatened to train "new hires" so they don't have to raise wages

specter208

We’re being asked to sacrifice our livelihoods and responsibilities to give someone a 10$+ hour raise to do a non skilled inside job. Meanwhile they go to grocery stores and fast food joints everyday and give their order or checkout at a kiosk, you know why? The people that once manned those counters asked for a stupid amount of money too. They want 20-25$ an hour to do a job everyone here with over five years of employment did for 8.50$ an hour. We didn’t complain about it. We coveted the day we would become drivers and the other half were there just for the healthcare and had other day jobs. Go to your local grocery store that’ll pay you 15$ an hour and ask for the benefits package you get here and you will be laughed out of the room.
It occurred to me that many 22.4 and PT drivers that are already laid off would benefit from have a PT wage boost.

We’re being asked to sacrifice our livelihoods and responsibilities to give someone a 10$+ hour raise to do a non skilled inside job. Meanwhile they go to grocery stores and fast food joints everyday and give their order or checkout at a kiosk, you know why? The people that once manned those counters asked for a stupid amount of money too. They want 20-25$ an hour to do a job everyone here with over five years of employment did for 8.50$ an hour. We didn’t complain about it. We coveted the day we would become drivers and the other half were there just for the healthcare and had other day jobs. Go to your local grocery store that’ll pay you 15$ an hour and ask for the benefits package you get here and you will be laughed out of the room.
It doesn't matter what you made or what I made or what they made last year.

The whole idea of PT is for it to be transient, not a career. Kids in school who they can groom for management or for people to move up to FT some other way, or just move on. I understand why some of the guys do it for the benefits and have their own businesses, that makes sense, but I assure you they aren't the ones bitching here. I just don't have any empathy for a long-term PTer.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

It occurred to me that many 22.4 and PT drivers that are already laid off would benefit from have a PT wage boost.
The 22.4s will lose their 8 hour guarantee at driver rate to work inside and will be laid off from driving after the strike. They will be bumped by all the other higher up drivers coming in to soak up any and all shifts they can and when they do work it’ll be at whatever their inside rate is at. They’ll get a pay cut.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

It doesn't matter what you made or what I made or what they made last year.

The whole idea of PT is for it to be transient, not a career. Kids in school who they can groom for management or for people to move up to FT some other way, or just move on. I understand why some of the guys do it for the benefits and have their own businesses, that makes sense, but I assure you they aren't the ones bitching here. I just don't have any empathy for a long-term PTer.
Seems the hang up on the final 5% of the contract is part time pay increases. Also seems like all the gun ho strikers are part timers as well, with nothing to lose. When I was inside all the long term part timers were business owners who couldn’t afford healthcare or guys that worked full time jobs with bad benefits. There’s a mindset in these 20 something’s that they’re entitled to anything and everything without putting an ounce of sweat into it. I’m sick of it. I’ve been saying it for years, there needs to be a FT and PT contract. The wants and needs are completely different. PT outnumbers FT probably 3-1 and have a disproportionate amount of power to throw contract negotiations into disarray with their larger vote count when FTs have way more to lose or gain in the long haul.

Seems the hang up on the final 5% of the contract is part time pay increases. Also seems like all the gun ho strikers are part timers as well, with nothing to lose. When I was inside all the long term part timers were business owners who couldn’t afford healthcare or guys that worked full time jobs with bad benefits. There’s a mindset in these 20 something’s that they’re entitled to anything and everything without putting an ounce of sweat into it. I’m sick of it. I’ve been saying it for years, there needs to be a FT and PT contract. The wants and needs are completely different. PT outnumbers FT probably 3-1 and have a disproportionate amount of power to throw contract negotiations into disarray with their larger vote count when FTs have way more to lose or gain in the long haul.
Sean has said PT represents about 52% of the membership, but I've read as much as 60%

I don't have the answer, I just know how I feel about it. I'll walk with them, but I really SOB knows who butters his bread.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I’m a full timer. Second generation teamster.

I’ve got a lot to lose.
I don’t want to strike, but I will if it comes to it. And I will strike for any classification if they are getting hurt by the company.

Almost all of us started inside. The lack of brotherhood is concerning to me.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board

I’ve got a lot to lose.
I don’t want to strike, but I will if it comes to it. And I will strike for any classification if they are getting hurt by the company.

I agree with you.

I will say, when I started I knew it was either 3.5 hrs in the AM or 3.5 in the PM. I knew I'd get my benefits, and hopefully have a shot at full time down the road. I worked multiple jobs to pay the bills. Hard on my family. And we were ok with that, we had a goal.
I knew it wasnt great money up front, but we worked with it and made it happen.
I can't force my mindset on others. As they may have other goals. But the benefits are certainly worth a lot.

I’ve got a lot to lose.

I get it, but if you don't see yourself as the exception and not the rule, you're just blind. You are the plan, find the guys who are willing to give it all and make it, vs the guys that "deserve" it because they loaded a trailer for three months. Sorry bro, but the apathy toward PT isn't unfounded.

Karma...

great idea.......contracts are for current full-timers and are short sighted.......full time benefits are solely on the backs of part timers and are sold down the river by the full timers......I was both a pt and ft steward and speak from experience and observation.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I get it, but if you don't see yourself as the exception and not the rule, you're just blind. You are the plan, find the guys who are willing to give it all and make it, vs the guys that "deserve" it because they loaded a trailer for three months. Sorry bro, but the apathy toward PT isn't unfounded.
Do you see yourself as a Teamster, or a full timer Teamster?

If we make the part time jobs more desirable (in theory) we will attract better employees. Maybe start getting more college kids back again.

And then we can start to better educate the part timers on why they should want a career as a UPS teamster full time.

The people in the building are the future drivers. We should all want good ones.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I agree with you.

I will say, when I started I knew it was either 3.5 hrs in the AM or 3.5 in the PM. I knew I'd get my benefits, and hopefully have a shot at full time down the road. I worked multiple jobs to pay the bills. Hard on my family. And we were ok with that, we had a goal.
I knew it wasnt great money up front, but we worked with it and made it happen.
I can't force my mindset on others. As they may have other goals. But the benefits are certainly worth a lot.
Making a living off one part time job is a pipe dream, and I’m not saying that either.

The benefits are good. But with the profits this company has made, I think we can do right by all classifications.