BAD NEWS: UPS just threatened to train "new hires" so they don't have to raise wages

muthatrucka

Friday July 14th, 18:00PDT
Just heard on a national news affiliate... UPS waited until after hours, to announce they will have no plans to pay more, and will train new hires to get through the strike. Written news stories and broadcast news will probably start running the story tonight or tomorrow.
Enjoy the red tagged equipment! Every truck in our fleet has something that needs fixed, something that’s being put off. July 31 is the day to tag it for repair.

Commercial Inside Release

Just stumbled into a live debate between university economists... They were pushing the idea that the higher minimum\starting wages are causing a large portion of the inflation. That is really going too far! SMDH... University types often parrot the agenda of their handlers - large financial donors and underwriters.

This will likely be a theme from here until it is drowned out by the coming election. I'm starting to think these giant hedge funds are forcing this narrative from the top down, and execs like Carol are going along with it all. Post the 2008 collapse and through the pandemic, there was quite a push to create a baseline living wage in the nation. It brought $24\hr MRA store clerks like Target Stores were offering. But now, it looks like industry; Wall Street; and the corporate executive level is trying to push things the other way. Might be why UPS is digging in it's cloven hooves, and resisting starting wages.

It's a shame. I might be a conservative tightwad, too, but that stretch where starting wages were kept at $7-9\hr for 30 years WAS totally BS and evil. Right now, there's a chance that wages for the young might actually be less miserable than the past, but I'll be damned if they aren't trying to scuttle it. This might end up as an epic struggle between the working youth and corporate America, with all eyes glued to the strike.

Please keep in mind that if you aren't a young worker, you probably know several at least, and may even have your own children's work-life to think about.. If this is how corporate America plans to do everyone, post pandemic.

moldsporh

Wasn't UPS the company who had very attractive wages and benefits for P/T positions to get people to come work for them?

Wonder where that mentality went?

Worked for most of us right?

If UPS wants to continue this trend, that's how it needs to be.

Otherwise why not find another P/T job that doesn't beat you down working in A/C with benefits and similar pay?

It's not rocket science.

PT Car Washer

Wasn't UPS the company who had very attractive wages and benefits for P/T positions to get people to come work for them?

Wonder where that mentality went?

Worked for most of us right?

If UPS wants to continue this trend, that's how it needs to be.

Otherwise why not find another P/T job that doesn't beat you down working in A/C with benefits and similar pay?

It's not rocket science.
That was over 40 years ago when FT and PT had similar wages and weekends and Holidays off.

Commercial Inside Release

this is a great idea. Everyone should red tag their equipment July 31 when you get back. Package cars, tractors.
If I had a dollar for every time I saw or heard about management ripping a red tag off a truck, I wouldn't be here typing.

And, if they temporarily can't get away with ripping the tag off, they use corporate pressure on the mechaics' supervisor to get their way.

It's worth a try, though. Red tag EVERYTHING!

ManInBrown

If I had a dollar for every time I saw or heard about management ripping a red tag off a truck, I wouldn't be here typing.

And, if they temporarily can't get away with ripping the tag off, they use corporate pressure on the mechaics' supervisor to get their way.

It's worth a try, though. Red tag EVERYTHING!
Oh they will definitely be able to undo the damage, but it’s one more headache they’ll have to deal with on the 1st.

Trash Panda

Just stumbled into a live debate between university economists... They were pushing the idea that the higher minimum\starting wages are causing a large portion of the inflation. That is really going too far! SMDH... University types often parrot the agenda of their handlers - large financial donors and underwriters.

This will likely be a theme from here until it is drowned out by the coming election. I'm starting to think these giant hedge funds are forcing this narrative from the top down, and execs like Carol are going along with it all. Post the 2008 collapse and through the pandemic, there was quite a push to create a baseline living wage in the nation. It brought $24\hr MRA store clerks like Target Stores were offering. But now, it looks like industry; Wall Street; and the corporate executive level is trying to push things the other way. Might be why UPS is digging in it's cloven hooves, and resisting starting wages.

It's a shame. I might be a conservative tightwad, too, but that stretch where starting wages were kept at $7-9\hr for 30 years WAS totally BS and evil. Right now, there's a chance that wages for the young might actually be less miserable than the past, but I'll be damned if they aren't trying to scuttle it. This might end up as an epic struggle between the working youth and corporate America, with all eyes glued to the strike.

Please keep in mind that if you aren't a young worker, you probably know several at least, and may even have your own children's work-life to think about.. If this is how corporate America plans to do everyone, post pandemic.
Everything during the pandemic has been a divide and conquer tactic in the media. In general Wages have not been keeping up with the cost of living not to mention education cost. They want to diminish the working class, make everything woke and backwards, eliminate the nuclear family and here we are watching the :censored2:show live and in living color starting with the bud light debacle. Trans in women sports

One thing about corporations is they always kick the cost down hill. Whether raising prices or keeping wages low. It will always be a profit over people system. Media has dubbed this summer strike season with all the other unions that have been going out. Its time to buckle up.

Govt bailouts, bad loans, scammers, and corporate greed/ wall street got us here. Getting a .25-50 cent raise every year for a desk job doesnt keep up with the change in times.

This is how bad ceo’s are disconnected from their workers.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don’t know but this game of chicken is going to put a lot of people out of work. The sad part is if we go on strike this company will never be the same The sad part is all of these people that are all excited about having a strike they just get what they were asking for and in the end if a lot of us lose jobs out of this boy, I challenge anyone to go find a job that we have now with the wages and benefits. So sad.

Did you boss tell you to write this

HarryWarden

. Go to your local grocery store that’ll pay you 15$ an hour and ask for the benefits package you get here and you will be laughed out of the room.
what’s up with people on here constantly asking us to compare our wage and benefits to grocery stores?

Grocery stores literally have one of, if not the least profit of any business in america

Meanwhile UPS is the most successful logistics company in the world with the most powerful union in the country

How about you shut up and go lick some more corporate boots

HarryWarden

. There’s a mindset in these 20 something’s that they’re entitled to anything and everything without putting an ounce of sweat into it.
not put an ounce of sweat? Are you stupid? I’ve literally put blood sweat and tears into this company. Part times are the majority of this work force, they’re the ones loading the trucks.

And by the way, part time is barely part time. You do know 3.5 hour is not the maximum right? Peak season were scheduled full time hours 6 days a week. The rest of the year it’s work as directed, as long as they need you, with varying hours throughout the week

HarryWarden

I agree with you.

I will say, when I started I knew it was either 3.5 hrs in the AM or 3.5 in the PM. I knew I'd get my benefits, and hopefully have a shot at full time down the road. I worked multiple jobs to pay the bills. Hard on my family. And we were ok with that, we had a goal.
I knew it wasnt great money up front, but we worked with it and made it happen.
I can't force my mindset on others. As they may have other goals. But the benefits are certainly worth a lot.
Curious when you started, and also, everyone :censored2:ting on part timers acting like we don’t work hard either, or you worked harder (every generation says this) but lot of full timers acting like they wouldn’t fight for higher wages for themselves when they were part timers also

How many of you really would have been like “no I don’t need a raise, I’m just a part timer, I’ll keep working until full time, let the ceo and shareholders keep stealing the money”

You guys have to remember part time wages didn’t raise a cent for 30 years. But cost of living certainly has.

For how many people on here bitch about the government and inflation, and kids “living in their moms basement” you surely don’t care about the solutions or helping

HarryWarden

Do you see yourself as a Teamster, or a full timer Teamster?

If we make the part time jobs more desirable (in theory) we will attract better employees. Maybe start getting more college kids back again.

And then we can start to better educate the part timers on why they should want a career as a UPS teamster full time.

The people in the building are the future drivers. We should all want good ones.
The college thing is what bugs me, and another benefit ups is stealing wages through

Part time wage didn’t raise for 30 years. Not a single cent. $8.50 in 1980, $8.50 in 2010. People on here say you should have to work 2-3 jobs to survive, which I did, but it also would have been nice to be able to work part time at ups and support yourself through school, using the tuition assistance, but how is that possible when you need to work 2-3 jobs just to support yourself?

HarryWarden

They should show them starting wage for part time wage at ups in 1980, pump that into an inflation calculator, then put part time wage of 2020, $8.50, and compare cost of living

Weird how they could make it work back then

Weird how a man could support a family of 5 on a warehouse job out of highschool in the 50s while the wife stayed home. Now most people need the man and wife working

Weird how the highest paid employee in the 50s made 10x more than the lowest paid, now it’s 500x

But yea… it’s the starting wages that’s the problem

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
We’re being asked to sacrifice our livelihoods and responsibilities to give someone a 10$+ hour raise to do a non skilled inside job. Meanwhile they go to grocery stores and fast food joints everyday and give their order or checkout at a kiosk, you know why? The people that once manned those counters asked for a stupid amount of money too. They want 20-25$ an hour to do a job everyone here with over five years of employment did for 8.50$ an hour. We didn’t complain about it. We coveted the day we would become drivers and the other half were there just for the healthcare and had other day jobs. Go to your local grocery store that’ll pay you 15$ an hour and ask for the benefits package you get here and you will be laughed out of the room.

Waaaaaahhhhhhhhh those part timers!!!!! How dare they

Crosscutters

We already get the crappiest of the crap here when we need only a few workers. If they try to hire 300,000 they are in some big trouble. First they’d be lucky to get 1/2 that no matter what they pay. Not to mention the ones they get will be horrible workers at best.

Good luck.