BAD NEWS: UPS just threatened to train "new hires" so they don't have to raise wages

They should show them starting wage for part time wage at ups in 1980, pump that into an inflation calculator, then put part time wage of 2020, $8.50, and compare cost of living

Weird how they could make it work back then

Weird how a man could support a family of 5 on a warehouse job out of highschool in the 50s while the wife stayed home. Now most people need the man and wife working

Weird how the highest paid employee in the 50s made 10x more than the lowest paid, now it’s 500x

But yea… it’s the starting wages that’s the problem
Just to clarify not sure what my wage was in 1980 but in 1982 starting PT wages were $8/hr unskilled and $9/hr skilled and preload. Several Dollars less then what I was making.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Enjoy the red tagged equipment! Every truck in our fleet has something that needs fixed, something that’s being put off. July 31 is the day to tag it for repair.

The problem is us mechanics are striking with you and the sups will just cut the tags off..

I mean...... unless it's looses brakes at times or a high speed wobble in steering over bumps...

Brownwind

Just to clarify not sure what my wage was in 1980 but in 1982 starting PT wages were $8/hr unskilled and $9/hr skilled and preload. Several Dollars less then what I was making.
Yes. 9.00 an hour to work preload in the 1980’s.
60+ dollars an hour in the 2020’s. Based on recent data.

anonymous23456

ups-amping-up-for-strike-v0-fiygxfldg7cb1.jpeg

We are ready!

Theoneandonly24

Iv been saying this. You don’t understand how easy it is to just replace you. Our jobs are not skilled trades. You pick the box up and put it label up or to the right. I wish I knew what O’Brien was asking for cause I have a good chance it’s an unrealistic number.

HarryWarden

Iv been saying this. You don’t understand how easy it is to just replace you. Our jobs are not skilled trades. You pick the box up and put it label up or to the right. I wish I knew what O’Brien was asking for cause I have a good chance it’s an unrealistic number.
So easy to replace us yet turnover is sky high and they need to offer crazy bonuses and MRA just to get people in the door…

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You line up 100 America’s to do an inside job or drive packages around and with the heat, bs production aspects of this job and a bunch of other things and I would be very surprised if they could even get 20% of those people to stick around for a month. Unloading/loading in 100 degree trailers is not a cakewalk. And just because some Amazon driver can deliver 5lb packages out of a van doesn’t mean that they could come over here and do an industrial route in a p1200…that’s not happening, not by a long shot. Most of us were brainwashed from the get go to stick around because there was a driving job waiting for us EVENTUALLY…and many is us stuck it out in package because we knew that EVENTUALLY we could get a country route or go into feeders. Scabs aren’t going to have this long term motivation..if they go out there and don’t like it they will just bounce. No matter what the company or some of us think it won’t be :censored2: easy to keep this company going after the first few months. They might be able to piece together something in the short term but we’ll just wait and see. I don’t want us to be selling ourselves short because only the strong survive here and I can’t count the countless people who have come in here over my 30 years and leave only after a little while for whatever reasons. And this new generation who are up and coming won’t put up with much sht…if they don’t like it they’ll just leave, no desire to stick it out. No loyalty. It won’t be easy.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I was wondering to become a package car driver do you need to pass a drug test to get the job? If weed was detected in your system do you get fired or you just wont pass the test and retry it in a year? thankyou

“nuff said”…:bloodshot:

BeachBoy

Making a living off one part time job is a pipe dream, and I’m not saying that either.

The benefits are good. But with the profits this company has made, I think we can do right by all classifications.
But, I actually have. I come in when I'm scheduled at 1:00 -1:30, work my 8 or 9 hours. Do the same on my 6th day punch.
I'm classified as a part timer, get PT pay and PT pension, but haven't worked less than 2000 hours a year since my first year.
Bottom line is, PT can be viable. But, I am treated like full time and think I should be compensated accordingly.

muthatrucka

The problem is us mechanics are striking with you and the sups will just cut the tags off..

I mean...... unless it's looses brakes at times or a high speed wobble in steering over bumps...
Check engine, no power works great. It’s true and it makes the equipment inoperable.