Big announcement coming in Jan

vantexan

Um, the shippers opted for cheaper rates and used ground, maybe?
Let's put two and two together. Dano said Express never gave Ground freight. FedEx bought a hell of a lot of Sprinters and suddenly we get little bulk freight. Either Fred is omniscient, or our sales force sold shippers on the idea that they would save a lot of money(and make us more profitable). What could it be, oh what could it be.....

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Let's put two and two together. Dano said Express never gave Ground freight. FedEx bought a hell of a lot of Sprinters and suddenly we get little bulk freight. Either Fred is omniscient, or our sales force sold shippers on the idea that they would save a lot of money(and make us more profitable). What could it be, oh what could it be.....
C'mon, Van, selling Ground rates is a false equivalency to 'giving' freight to Ground. UPS and other efficient competitors don't compete with Express for ground freight, so naturally, to take that business away, FedEx sells Ground. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to foresee that bulky packages would end up being shipped ground.
Express is no longer primarily a B2B freight company. Small packages, and time-sensitive freight, are now the focus.

vantexan

C'mon, Van, selling Ground rates is a false equivalency to 'giving' freight to Ground. UPS and other efficient competitors don't compete with Express for ground freight, so naturally, to take that business away, FedEx sells Ground. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to foresee that bulky packages would end up being shipped ground.
Express is no longer primarily a B2B freight company. Small packages, and time-sensitive freight, are now the focus.
Well yeah, because they "gave" Ground freight. In other words they shifted bulk freight into Ground to become more profitable. Just costs a lot more to fly it. I think we're arguing semantics.

P1 Failure

We’ve still got bulk freight at our station. We run two straight trucks in the morning and three at night. We still have 900’s,700’s,600’s and Sprinters.

Serf

Have you seen the new ford vans? Can't fit much more than a few crates of docs. Handful of small boxes. That's it bro.

vantexan

We’ve still got bulk freight at our station. We run two straight trucks in the morning and three at night. We still have 900’s,700’s,600’s and Sprinters.
And you may be in an area with companies who find it advantageous to use Express. A lot of small stations are almost all Sprinters now.

bacha29

Remember, it's just a rumor. Yes, there could be a plan of succession with a seat or two on the board changing hands, but when they see how badly Ground is getting absolutely plowed under with peak season volume and contractor supplies of cheap labor completely exhausted, throwing up their hands in frustration they'll think twice about burdening it down with anything more.

If I had a dime for every rumor that surrounded that company over the years I would be at the track every single day. Whatever big moves that are made they're almost never tipped off with rumors thanks to illegal insider trading laws. About the only indication that something might be in the offing are public disclosures of huge blocks of shares being bought or sold.

More importantly of the 28 analysts on Market Watch that are following the stock only 1 recommends selling it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
In the end I doubt much of anything happens because very few months there's a new hot rumor popping up some place that dies after a couple of weeks.

I want so badly to applaud you on making a post that's rational and level headed in handling rumors, but then I remember that you're the guy who makes the "HOMER FUSTERPUCK FROM EARL'S INVESTMENTS AND LIVE BAIT LLC SAYS THAT THE TRANSPORTATION STOCKS ARE A HOLD RIGHT NOW AND THERE'S LOTS OF TENSION BETWEEN THE INUIT PEOPLE IN ALASKA AND THE HILLBILLIES IN ALABAMA OVER CHICKEN GIZZRD FUTURES, SO I'D BE WORRIED IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES" posts.

59 Dano

Some of their big announcements turn out to be huge nothings. I recall all of the hype prior to the logo/name change back in the 1990's. You'd have thought Jesus had just done the Second Coming.

That said, with all of the financial losses and Amazon getting way bigger, it could be something substantial. Glad I'm no longer there to be a "beneficiary" of their wisdom.

If anyone knows about huge "all deferred freight will go to Ground" announcements that turn out to be huge nothings, I suppose you'd be the guy who knows most about them.

59 Dano

Express used to drive a lot more stepvans and carry a lot more bulk. Mysteriously many routes started driving Sprinters and the bulk freight mostly disappeared. Where did it go, where did it go.....

Last I checked, Express pkg counts are much higher than they were whenever we started giving away all of our freight.

59 Dano

Well yeah, because they "gave" Ground freight. In other words they shifted bulk freight into Ground to become more profitable. Just costs a lot more to fly it. I think we're arguing semantics.

Didn't shift anything. Do you know how to use a calculator? Yes, you do. So does everyone else. Many of them want the cheapest rate they can get.

59 Dano

I want so badly to applaud you on making a post that's rational and level headed in handling rumors, but then I remember that you're the guy who makes the "HOMER FUSTERPUCK FROM EARL'S INVESTMENTS AND LIVE BAIT LLC SAYS THAT THE TRANSPORTATION STOCKS ARE A HOLD RIGHT NOW AND THERE'S LOTS OF TENSION BETWEEN THE INUIT PEOPLE IN ALASKA AND THE HILLBILLIES IN ALABAMA OVER CHICKEN GIZZRD FUTURES, SO I'D BE WORRIED IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES" posts.

Ask and ye shall receive...

More importantly of the 28 analysts on Market Watch that are following the stock only 1 recommends selling it.

bacha29

In an effort to break events down to the level that even someone like you could understand, based on your comments it would appear that I have not yet succeeded and have quite a ways to go in order to get down to that level.

Don't worry child. We won't leave you behind.