Big announcement coming in Jan

snowcat66

Have heard this here and there but no confirmation. With Express struggling and always in the business news with a negative spin have heard express may be giving more volume to ground which is more profitable. already have too many people from the Amazon hiring spree then after letting Amazon go theres not much work for some. this would make things worse.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Have heard this here and there but no confirmation. With Express struggling and always in the business news with a negative spin have heard express may be giving more volume to ground which is more profitable. already have too many people from the Amazon hiring spree then after letting Amazon go theres not much work for some. this would make things worse.

How can Express give "more" volume to Ground when it hasn't given them any?

bacha29

I wouldn't sit up at night worrying about. Furthermore Ground is going to have it's hands full with Smart Post. And with all the struggles they're having this peak season trying to keep up handing them even more volume would not be a wise thing to do.

snowcat66

Express has always been the first child of Mr Smith but when ground came along more of the express saver, P2 volume went to ground. As the ground network grew and continues to grow its cheaper to send these lower yield packages thru the ground system. I can see the eventual end of priority overnight to just next day. Ground networks are already shipping packages much faster than 10 years ago due to infrastructure build. Express will be a boutique

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Notice how "big announcements" that usually will adversely affect employees come after Peak? Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

whatwhat

Where are people hearing about an announcement? Only place I've heard about it is on Facebook. I asked my manager and sr and they have no idea what people are referring to at all.

bacha29

If they do, they aren't saying, and that would be a directive.
Perhaps Fat Freddy will step down and retire from the board. There could be a restructuring of some type. Perhaps Ground is spun off into a separate company. There was even some talk awhile back of a move to buy XPO logistics.
In the end I doubt much of anything happens because very few months there's a new hot rumor popping up some place that dies after a couple of weeks.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Perhaps Fat Freddy will step down and retire from the board. There could be a restructuring of some type. Perhaps Ground is spun off into a separate company. There was even some talk awhile back of a move to buy XPO logistics.
In the end I doubt much of anything happens because very few months there's a new hot rumor popping up some place that dies after a couple of weeks.

Some of their big announcements turn out to be huge nothings. I recall all of the hype prior to the logo/name change back in the 1990's. You'd have thought Jesus had just done the Second Coming.

That said, with all of the financial losses and Amazon getting way bigger, it could be something substantial. Glad I'm no longer there to be a "beneficiary" of their wisdom.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Check with @MrFedEx , he is the resident expert on insider information regarding freight reassignments. His track record is impeccable.

Purplepackage

Express has always been the first child of Mr Smith but when ground came along more of the express saver, P2 volume went to ground. As the ground network grew and continues to grow its cheaper to send these lower yield packages thru the ground system. I can see the eventual end of priority overnight to just next day. Ground networks are already shipping packages much faster than 10 years ago due to infrastructure build. Express will be a boutique

Yeah I already heard we are diverting all our volume to ground, express closing up by Friday actually

SmithBarney

You are all wrong, we are going to change our colors, from Purple and Orange -> to Orange and Purple, due to this new change it will be very expensive, and we won't be able to do raises for 4 years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The announcement will lay to rest the rumor that we have all heard for most of our careers:

FedEx and UPS will be merging-----the new company will be called Fed UPS.

Serf

I for one am totally fine with only 1st, priority, & standard overnight. With some international & DG mixed in.

vantexan

How can Express give "more" volume to Ground when it hasn't given them any?
Express used to drive a lot more stepvans and carry a lot more bulk. Mysteriously many routes started driving Sprinters and the bulk freight mostly disappeared. Where did it go, where did it go.....