Blessed but with heavy sacrifices

CLTUPSwifey

greetings to everyone in brown, and in my case, who’s down with brown and married to UPS through a committed spouse.
I’m grateful to have this platform to possibly gain clarification and support through this lifestyle of a family. I apologize, in advance, if I ask questions or have concerns that may possibly overstep boundaries. If I do please respectfully inform me and just know that I am going on two years of being married to UPS through my husband. I don’t know UPS that well so you can understand how my marriage is shifting closer and closer to not existing.

I was hoping to get help understanding some major issues that are frustrating both him and I and him trying to explain it to me frustrates the situation even more to the point where we don’t talk about anything but his work day because we’re not really talking about the issues that his work is causing.

Here is a super fresh, still warm to the touch, problem with no solution… Yet. My husband started out as a 224 I believe or something like that and we went through that first year of just utter bowing down to the demands of UPS and having no life and having no schedule and was also during the Covid shut down and my industry was nonexistent so we were basically pulled in opposite directions as far as having a life together because I was at home going crazy wanting to work and he was constantly working and not at home much. That situation alone opens doors for a lot of other issues that maybe I will ask about later. For now The most pressing question I have is …
What is the solution, or a process, to holding UPS responsible for completely ignoring the needs of their workers and families, other than the need for money and benefits? Why is not having a controlled climate in a vehicle that is operated in physically exhausting circumstances not important to UPS? Why is the mental health of the workers who are out there literally melting and baking all day long and returning home so tired and sore that they can’t make love to their wives or go play with the kids outside important to UPS? Why is not having two full back to back days at home to balance work and home life not important to UPS? Why is it that a contract can never be committed to but UPS expects their workers to be committed to the company? Does this get any better or is this just what everyone puts up with? My husband has worked very hard to get to be a Monday through Friday driver but he is being bullied and threatens to working on Saturdays and I wouldn’t even know that there was a union supporting any of the stuff that is always changing and is never what he supposed to be doing. It just seems like a lot of empty promises and nothing can ever be planned in our life ever. Tomorrow we had made plans to do something very very important for our relationship and now we can’t do it because he was threatened by his supervisor that if anyone called out tomorrow which is supposed to be a day off anyway that they would be terminated immediately. UPS is ruining my marriage and my family is not a family. What we thought it was going to be such a huge blessing, and it has been monetarily and financially for sure, has been at a cost of so many things we’ve had to sacrifice that now we have nothing left to sacrifice to UPS. How much more does UPS take before they actually give?

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
greetings to everyone in brown, and in my case, who’s down with brown and married to UPS through a committed spouse.
I’m grateful to have this platform to possibly gain clarification and support through this lifestyle of a family. I apologize, in advance, if I ask questions or have concerns that may possibly overstep boundaries. If I do please respectfully inform me and just know that I am going on two years of being married to UPS through my husband. I don’t know UPS that well so you can understand how my marriage is shifting closer and closer to not existing.

I was hoping to get help understanding some major issues that are frustrating both him and I and him trying to explain it to me frustrates the situation even more to the point where we don’t talk about anything but his work day because we’re not really talking about the issues that his work is causing.

Here is a super fresh, still warm to the touch, problem with no solution… Yet. My husband started out as a 2 to 4 I believe or something like that and we went through that first year of just utter bowing down to the demands of UPS and having new life and having new schedule and was also during the Covid shut down and my industry was nonexistent so we were basically pulled in opposite directions as far as having a life together because I was at home going crazy wanting to work and he was constantly working and not at home much. That situation alone opens doors for a lot of other issues that maybe I will ask about later. For now The most pressing question I have is …
What is the solution, or a process, to holding UPS responsible for completely ignoring the needs of their workers and families, other than the need for money and benefits? Why is not having a controlled climate in a vehicle that is operated in physically exhausting circumstances not important to UPS? Why is the mental health of the workers who are out there literally melting and baking all day long and returning home so tired and sore that they can’t make love to their wives or go play with the kids outside important to UPS? Why is not having two full back to back days at home to balance work and home life not important to UPS? Why is it that a contract can never be committed to but UPS expects their workers to be committed to the company? Does this get any better or is this just what everyone puts up with? My husband has worked very hard to get to be a Monday through Friday driver but he is being bullied and threatens to working on Saturdays and I wouldn’t even know that there was a union supporting any of the stuff that is always changing and is never what he supposed to be doing. It just seems like a lot of empty promises and nothing can ever be planned in our life ever. Tomorrow we had made plans to do something very very important for our relationship and now we can’t do it because he was threatened by his supervisor that if anyone called out tomorrow which is supposed to be a day off anyway that they would be terminated immediately. UPS is ruining my marriage and my family is not a family. What we thought it was going to be such a huge blessing, and it has been monetarily and financially for sure, has been at a cost of so many things we’ve had to sacrifice that now we have nothing left to sacrifice to UPS. How much more does UPS take before they actually give?

I tried to read your post but with that font it’s nearly impossible
I felt the sacrifice was worth it
My wife didn’t have to work unless she wanted to
My kids had everything they needed
We went in several vacations every year
And I retired at 55 with a pension.
Had a nice house with all the bells and whistles
I think the sacrifice was worth it

CLTUPSwifey

Thank you for letting me know I changed the font and I appreciate you sharing your experience

I tried to read your post but with that font it’s nearly impossible
I felt the sacrifice was worth it
My wife didn’t have to work unless she wanted to
My kids had everything they needed
We went in several vacations every year
And I retired at 55 with a pension.
Had a nice house with all the bells and whistles
I think the sacrifice was worth it

Here is a super fresh, still warm to the touch, problem with no solution… Yet. My husband started out as a 224 I believe or something like that and we went through that first year of just utter bowing down to the demands of UPS and having no life and having no schedule and was also during the Covid shut down and my industry was nonexistent so we were basically pulled in opposite directions as far as having a life together because I was at home going crazy wanting to work and he was constantly working and not at home much. That situation alone opens doors for a lot of other issues that maybe I will ask about later. For now The most pressing question I have is …
Takes a special woman to be married to UPS drive

Kingofthenorth

I would recommend asking these types of question on reddit or another social platform. The supervisors are bluffing they can't just fire you for calling off a day-even uf they could he would get his job back. Tell him to talk to his local union rep to clear up his local procedures. UPS is all about the money and benefits. It sucks but its way better than the majority of unskilled jobs as you can actually afford to live and vacation etc.

FromOffTheStreets

Ups pays much more than others in the field , so they DO NOT CARE about employees lives.
The employee either deals with it & chooses $ over life or quits & choose life over $.
I'm choosing the 3rd option; live frugally, get out of debt, build a decent little nest egg & move on. Sacrifice for maybe 10/15 years & then get back to life.

qdg2

To the OP:

UPS comes first. That's the way it is from the companies viewpoint.

Quit now. It will never change.

Your marriage and life problems have no place on BC. IMO.

Think of UPS as the military.

Find another way to make a living.

If you are complaining now.....imagine 30 more years of it. Think long and hard about that.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Hate to say this.. but your husband better start growing some teeth...really read the Contract, file grievances, go to the Union meetings and talk to the old veterans.

That termination threat ... just contact his Business Agent and grieve it... document the hell out of them, once you stand up to them they will back down ... if not keep filing.

Whither

Scofflaw
@CLTUPSwifey I would advise your husband to call in when he's "forced" to work a 6th punch. I'm in the Central Region. We don't have any rock-solid contract language to prevent the company from forcing 6th punches as long as they follow proper seniority procedures when doing so.

Nevertheless I've called in when forced at least 30 times in career so far. I got 1 warning letter to show for it. I knew a driver who got 2 pending terminations for the same reason. Guess what, he's still a UPS driver.

I was willing to fight for my job at panel if that's what it took. Yes the money and bennies are good but they're not worth the misery of endless 6 day weeks. That's bad for your health, your family life and a safety hazard. Package car is too demanding; fatigue is real.

I have yet to hear of anyone who actually lost their job permanently because 6 day punch call-ins. It may have happened but I've not read anything here, on reddit, or heard of it in my local. Not that UPS can be trusted to do the sensible thing (lmao!), but it really doesn't make sense to fire a reliable employee over not reporting on days scheduled off. Here they've only made idle threats; plenty of us called their bluff.

At minimum your husband should investigate whether the company is following proper seniority procedures when forcing. They need to "ask from the top" and where allowed, "force from the bottom up". And if he works in a building w multiple centers, the forcing procedure must be "building-wide" within the classification (RPCD/0300). Here we have caught them several times violating procedure.

Commercial Inside Release

Welcome to UPS. This is how it will be, year in, year out for 5-12 years, until he can bid a good route. Management will never stop their BS for longer than about six months. The work load and conditions, however, will do as much damage as 10-24 years, and he will be used up. The slimy nature of management and their ruthless schemes, pressure, harassment, and manipulations will slowly turn your husband into a milk toast, avoidant type, that will probably go along with you cheating, out of sheer wear & tear and exhaustion.

Last edited by a moderator:

HavenoEDD

Sadly the ratio of divorced ups drivers is high and there’s plenty of reasons for it. The company doesn’t have or need to respect that as they are in the money game.
This is a job that pays well but demands a lot for that. Some handle it better than others and working within your means goes a long way.

Truthfully to handle it as best you can…embrace the suck if you can’t, get out. I know of many that gave the job and the great benefits up for a 9-5…saved their marriage, they were happier and they stayed married.

He’s new enough to where his mind, body and relationship aren’t destroyed so that’s a convo you have to have with him.

clean hairy

This would be a good dear abby letter!
Dear Abby
My husband is married to me, and Now is married to his job as well. We have no family life any more.
Is there a way to make this work?
Signed, jealous of his other marriage.
(A wall of text down to a few sentences)

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
To the OP:

UPS comes first. That's the way it is from the companies viewpoint.

Quit now. It will never change.

Your marriage and life problems have no place on BC. IMO.

Think of UPS as the military.

Find another way to make a living.

If you are complaining now.....imagine 30 more years of it. Think long and hard about that.
She's not asking you to solve them, she just asking for tips and how people handle it in the past, everything she posted is legit, the problem is there is no balance between ups and having a life, I'm guessing this is a young couple, you have to find what works

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

@Kmcget01 is that you

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
She's not asking you to solve them, she just asking for tips and how people handle it in the past, everything she posted is legit, the problem is there is no balance between ups and having a life, I'm guessing this is a young couple, you have to find what works
Myodb

over9five

Staff member
I've been at UPS (and married) for well over 30 years.
You do this job for that long because you make great money and have killer benefits for your family.
Yes, you absolutely give up a lot of family time, but for me it was worth it for my family to have everything they needed.

It's not for everyone. If you can survive on less pay, crappy benefits, and no pension, maybe he should move on.
Decide now tho, don't wait five years and give up. Good luck!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

BS troll with that avatar. Nice try @oldngray …..