Blessed but with heavy sacrifices

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In my opinion this reply is a great example of the UPS workplace culture, it lacks integrity.
Life isn't fair. Deal with it. If you can't, move on, work elsewhere. UPS is not for everyone. Even a strong union cannot protect from everything.

100%

greetings to everyone in brown, and in my case, who’s down with brown and married to UPS through a committed spouse.
I’m grateful to have this platform to possibly gain clarification and support through this lifestyle of a family. I apologize, in advance, if I ask questions or have concerns that may possibly overstep boundaries. If I do please respectfully inform me and just know that I am going on two years of being married to UPS through my husband. I don’t know UPS that well so you can understand how my marriage is shifting closer and closer to not existing.

I was hoping to get help understanding some major issues that are frustrating both him and I and him trying to explain it to me frustrates the situation even more to the point where we don’t talk about anything but his work day because we’re not really talking about the issues that his work is causing.

Here is a super fresh, still warm to the touch, problem with no solution… Yet. My husband started out as a 224 I believe or something like that and we went through that first year of just utter bowing down to the demands of UPS and having no life and having no schedule and was also during the Covid shut down and my industry was nonexistent so we were basically pulled in opposite directions as far as having a life together because I was at home going crazy wanting to work and he was constantly working and not at home much. That situation alone opens doors for a lot of other issues that maybe I will ask about later. For now The most pressing question I have is …
What is the solution, or a process, to holding UPS responsible for completely ignoring the needs of their workers and families, other than the need for money and benefits? Why is not having a controlled climate in a vehicle that is operated in physically exhausting circumstances not important to UPS? Why is the mental health of the workers who are out there literally melting and baking all day long and returning home so tired and sore that they can’t make love to their wives or go play with the kids outside important to UPS? Why is not having two full back to back days at home to balance work and home life not important to UPS? Why is it that a contract can never be committed to but UPS expects their workers to be committed to the company? Does this get any better or is this just what everyone puts up with? My husband has worked very hard to get to be a Monday through Friday driver but he is being bullied and threatens to working on Saturdays and I wouldn’t even know that there was a union supporting any of the stuff that is always changing and is never what he supposed to be doing. It just seems like a lot of empty promises and nothing can ever be planned in our life ever. Tomorrow we had made plans to do something very very important for our relationship and now we can’t do it because he was threatened by his supervisor that if anyone called out tomorrow which is supposed to be a day off anyway that they would be terminated immediately. UPS is ruining my marriage and my family is not a family. What we thought it was going to be such a huge blessing, and it has been monetarily and financially for sure, has been at a cost of so many things we’ve had to sacrifice that now we have nothing left to sacrifice to UPS. How much more does UPS take before they actually give?
Unfortunately it was Teamsters that allowed 22.4s, not UPS. It has to get changed this contract. Never in my life would I think Teamsters would allow second tier members getting paid less.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Unfortunately it was Teamsters that allowed 22.4s, not UPS. It has to get changed this contract. Never in my life would I think Teamsters would allow second tier members getting paid less.
22.4 was an attempt to appease current package car drivers while trying to address to significant issues that were not going away, excessively overtime and the 7 day work week that all package delivery company are moving to.

I was involved in the negotiations and many package car drivers in my area were very adamant about wanting overtime reduced and they were virtually unanimous regarding not wanting to work weekends and maintaining the M-friend workweek.

The 22.4 was an attempt to provide a full-time solution to these issues.

The abuse of contract language by UPS is nothing new. Just as when the agreement made to go to a part-time workforce has been abused by the company so too has the establishment of the 22.4 position been by the company.

Part-time solutions to excessive overtime and weekend work is just unacceptable and the increase of part-time jobs is IMO not good for the membership.

Really? When you have PT being paid $15/hr working next to PT earning $40/hr next to FT earning $35/hr. I never thought I would see the day when a Teamster job would pay minimum wages.

qdg2

22.4 was an attempt to appease current package car drivers while trying to address to significant issues that were not going away, excessively overtime and the 7 day work week that all package delivery company are moving to.

I was involved in the negotiations and many package car drivers in my area were very adamant about wanting overtime reduced and they were virtually unanimous regarding not wanting to work weekends and maintaining the M-friend workweek.

The 22.4 was an attempt to provide a full-time solution to these issues.

The abuse of contract language by UPS is nothing new. Just as when the agreement made to go to a part-time workforce has been abused by the company so too has the establishment of the 22.4 position been by the company.

Part-time solutions to excessive overtime and weekend work is just unacceptable and the increase of part-time jobs is IMO not good for the membership.
There will be weekend work.

Who is going to do it?

We have excessive overtime in feeders and weekend work....right now....forever.